You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is nothing wrong with our midfield

Pureblood

See Lucas got the MOTM award in the Independent report of the game, I'd agree with that.  Thought he was everywhere in the first half before tiring midway through the second, understandably after all those air miles and an early kick off.  Gerrard looked more lethargic but still has it, obviously, and made some telling late contributions.  Hendo wasn't at his best and Allen will have regrets about that chance (but I thought he did okay overall).  On another other day we'd be talking about one of our midfield players having won the game but unfortunately Allen lacked match sharpness for the vital moment.

Anyway, I'm off to vote for Lucas in the MOTM thread.

TINWWOM

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Figure our best central defence partnership, get a central midfield partnership worthy of a Liverpool midfield (buying at least one player) and have Gerrard on the right and Coutinho on the left. Not much tracking back being done on the flanks but in the case of Gerrard, he didn't do much of that under Rafa when he was such an effective attacking threat. I think it's that simple now with this team as I'm tired of going round in circles with systems and formations. Just sort the basics out and see what happens.

Figure our best central defence partnership, get a central midfield partnership worthy of a Liverpool midfield (buying at least one player) and have Gerrard on the right and Coutinho on the left. Not much tracking back being done on the flanks but in the case of Gerrard, he didn't do much of that under Rafa when he was such an effective attacking threat. I think it's that simple now with this team as I'm tired of going round in circles with systems and formations. Just sort the basics out and see what happens.

There is a shitload of tracking back needed - and done - now on the flanks. We may be better off tweaking the system to allow less.

Has Gerrard got the legs to be playing on the right? I agree that he was amazing there a few years ago, but I have my doubts he could get through 90 minutes now. Isn't that why Henderson's there - perpetual motion, filling in back to cover Johnson's attacks forward and getting forward when possible (though I admit he doesn't do any of them particularly well). I personally think Gerrard would be better up front or at least behind a front man/front two.

Rafa once said Gerrard would finish his career playing as a forward. I think he's wated where he's playing at the minute.

I might be totally wrong though.

My mind can't comprehend a footballer actually having good taste in music. Just makes me love Xabi more. 

EDIT - Just going through his tweets. Velvet Underground, Dino Jr, MBV, Spiritualized and Tame Impala

Be mine Xabi lad.

A big problem with our midfield right now is our water carrier needs carried.  Hes not much use he is if he can't do his job and needs another defensive midfielder beside him against shite like Hull.

Gerrard collecting the ball off the centre backs whilst Henderson or Allen plays off the striker continues.  Either the manager hasn't got the stones to tell him he's not playing centre mid or he thinks this is a good idea.  I'll let you decide which is worse.

Far too many windows have passed now with this problem not being looked at.  New players won't sort everything out either though, there's clearly tactical problems going on too.

Johnson on his lazy days, which are becoming more and more numerous doesn't help Lucas's cause either.

This topic is getting old and naggy.

We just need a younger Gerrard, might not be as good as him but definitely more running.

The only combination we are yet to try out is, Lucas/Henderson/Allen. I would treat it as a last roll before January window.

I'd like to see Lucas/Allen/Coutinho.

I'd like to see that, and not just for a game, I'd like to see it over 5 games and then start talking about whether or not it's viable.

As lunatic as it sounds, I don't think this team moves forward until Gerrard is out of the starting XI. We need to see what levels the others in the team are truly capable of, without playing in the shadow of captain Gerrard and his set-pieces. I'd swap a set-piece goal for a goal from open play with great movement.

I put the literary classic book of poems "oh gosh it's tosh" on another thread. This poem about liverpool playing away at Barcelona shows how much our midfielders lack the mindset to want to score goals, brace yourselfs,

" we're off to sunny Spain, the players are apprehensive, but we're Liverpool, we won't be defensive"

" kev's playing in a midfield role but he'll stilll be looking for a goal"

" he really is the tops, you know he'll pull out all the stops"

After winning 1-0 the poems get even better.

" we're flying into Speke and my knees are weak, we just beat Barcelona and now I'm going for a sauna"

Toshacks book of poems was criminally overlooked for any of that years literary awards.

http://ffwtbol.co.uk/2011/01/10/gosh-its-tosh/

I'd like to see that, and not just for a game, I'd like to see it over 5 games and then start talking about whether or not it's viable.

As lunatic as it sounds, I don't think this team moves forward until Gerrard is out of the starting XI. We need to see what levels the others in the team are truly capable of, without playing in the shadow of captain Gerrard and his set-pieces. I'd swap a set-piece goal for a goal from open play with great movement.

I don't see Gerrard as some sacred cow,  just see him as bringing much more to the midfield and the team overall than the frankly inadequate Lucas and the Corporal Pike that is Henderson.  It would be madness to exclude Gerrard and not put any decent central midfielder in there.  

• Upvote 1

It's almost like Gerrard is to scared to make a big run because he knows he will be nakered after or his pace will be exposed. You just don't see him even trying to shift through the gears anymore. He looks very one paced out there at the moment.

I would like to see a midfield without him there because we really do have to start preparing for a team without Steven Gerrard as its main regular starter.

That said, the others don't exactly cover themselves in glory either. Lucas lacks pace and power. Henderson lacks any creative bollocks and Allen still misses crucial chances like last week which make you question his ability for a top side.

I like Rodgers and i am a fan of his style but he needs to show the same character that he questions the players about in his interviews. He has made some big decisions quickly on players he has brought into the club. Now its time to make some big decisions about players already at the club. Making these decisions is needed and will define him as a manager.