You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Code is spot on.

I should know better than to argue with anyone who would say something that stupid, but ...

People still defending FSG?

Everything they do now is cheap.

Cheap is not the same thing as wrong. Is this move cheap? Yes, it does save us money.

Is it wrong? No, we wanted a GK improvement so we bought Mignolet. You'd like to think you could spend 110k/week better than on your backup goalkeeper, so they made the sensible move of loaning him out so Napoli pays his wages (I'm sure we'll pay some of them, but never half).

In the end, after a year, Reina will probably be sold for slightly less than Mignolet came in for but not by much. In the meantime, we're probably paying Mignolet 50k/week or so, and we'll be saving more than that on Reina's wages so we're slightly ahead of the game, financially speaking. And then, of course, when Reina is inevitably sold next summer we will be way ahead because we'll only be paying Mignolet's salary which, again, is probably half of what Reina's was.

So, overall, we're going to be financially neutral on the goalkeeper switch this season and after next season we'll be ahead. And not only is it not costing us anything, we improved (and got younger) at a key position. Can't see how anyone disagrees, unless you somehow think Reina is worse than Mignolet (which is a different discussion and suggests that you haven't been watching Reina over the past 2-3 years).

Maybe but Reina only played 31 games.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

HE LET IN 89 GOALS COMPARED TO REINAS 38.

Thats not outperforming.

I'll remind you we've had a really shite defence under Rogers. Skrtel and Carragher taking it in turns to be shit, full backs who dont look back in anger and a manager determined to bomb Reina out from day one, undermining him by playing wank players like Brad Jones over him at times.

This whole myth that we had a porous defence under Rodgers compared to a watertight defence under Dalglish the year before is getting tiresome. We conceded a grand total of three more goals last season than we did the year before. Offset with the advantage of scoring over 20 odd more goals last season and played some of our best football in years.

Unless my eyes were deceiving me too Carragher was outstanding when he got back in the team in February too.

Don't let the facts get in the way of the discussion eh lads?

Where does it say that they're only paying half his wages? Unless I missed it its not in the articles that anyone has linked here and I've not seen it in any of the other articles that I've read.

Again, unless I've missed it, Reina signed a 6 yr deal in 2010 for approx £80k per week (£4m per yr). There was discussion in 2011 about an improved deal but I can't find anything on it being signed. The article near the beginning of the thread says we can save £4m per year so tallys with these numbers.

If I'm wrong ill apologise but these are two examples of sheep mentality, the half wages thing on this thread and the £110k wages from the tinternet. Happens all the time doesn't mean it's right though.

I'm actually liking the way we've dealt with Reina now. Flirting with Barca, well fuck u you've been terrible for three years, out the door you go.

Napoli cannot buy him on his wages that was never a goer. They've a very tight wage budget. He will go next year to some club prob Barcelona and we'll get our fee. I suspect he's going to have a good year with Rafa and Valero, the first one in three I may add.

I've only seen Mignolet play against liverpool, if he even did play in those games and all I can remember is wanting to put goals past the bastard. So I'm hoping he manages the step up well. But lets be honest here, it won't be hard for him to better Reina's performances since 10/11.

I think he will end up at Atletico Madrid in 12 months not Barca. Chelsea will have to take a gamble at some point on Courtois, he's too talented to ignore so I wouldn't be surprised if that chance came next summer paving the way for Reina to end his career at the club his father played for.

Has nobody thought it may of been Pepe's wish to go out on loan this season instead of being sold? That way he gets his wish to return to Barcelona next season if they still want him.

Good point.

Reinas only got one permanent move left whilst he's at the top of his game you would think as he'll likely sign a 5 year contract. He obviously wants that next permanent contract to be at Barca

The problem will be is if they don't come in for him next season. They've signed one keeper already and might not want him. Courtois should be back at Chelsea by then though so maybe he'll go to Atletico

I think he will end up at Atletico Madrid in 12 months not Barca. Chelsea will have to take a gamble at some point on Courtois, he's too talented to ignore so I wouldn't be surprised if that chance came next summer paving the way for Reina to end his career at the club his father played for.

Weird. I typed something similar at the same time. I reckon you are right

Would rather we kept Reina and never signed Mignolet' date=' however its not exactly swapping Suarez for Jelavic. In a perfect world Reina should have been sold, but it appears he's waiting for Barca so a loan was probably the best the club could manage. We could have waited until he leaves next year but that would risk us having to scramble for a replacement and there is no guarantee a quality one would be available. Its a shitty situation all around but ultimately may be driven by Reina's desire to leave which may have more to do with his Barca dream than FSG's plans.[/quote']

Fuck me, finally someone with some sense. Our man came available this season so we went for him and the move for Reina to Barça fell through. The rest is damage limitation until Reina gets his move next year.

Edited by Reacher

Unless my eyes were deceiving me too Carragher was outstanding when he got back in the team in February too.

Your eyes were deceiving you mate, Carra was actually quite shite and he was part of the reason we conceded quite a few goals together with Johnson at our back right post.

• Upvote 1

Why are people convinced we'll be able to sell him to Barca for big money next season when they've already signed a top keeper and loaned him out for a year?

We've spent £9m when we have a limited budget to have an inferior keeper next season and have then given away the better keeper.

People can try and spin it as many different ways as they like, it's a shambles from the club.

Why are people convinced we'll be able to sell him to Barca for big money next season when they've already signed a top keeper and loaned him out for a year?

We've spent £9m when we have a limited budget to have an inferior keeper next season and have then given away the better keeper.

People can try and spin it as many different ways as they like, it's a shambles from the club.

No-one is actually convinced. The people that think Rodgers can do no wrong think this is ace, the people that detest him think this is the worst deal ever.

I probably fall somewhere inbetween. This deal, it doesn't look great. But fuck knows what has gone on behind the scenes.

No-one is actually convinced. The people that think Rodgers can do no wrong think this is ace, the people that detest him think this is the worst deal ever.

I probably fall somewhere inbetween. This deal, it doesn't look great. But fuck knows what has gone on behind the scenes.

I don't detest Rodgers, the owners or Mignolet (although I'm far from convinced about any of them).

All I want is what's best for the club and getting back to the top. Wasting resources like this isn't going to help.

I don't detest Rodgers, the owners or Mignolet (although I'm far from convinced about any of them).

All I want is what's best for the club and getting back to the top. Wasting resources like this isn't going to help.

I've not said you do, mate.

I guess what confuses me the most in all of this is that we have 6 weeks of the transfer window left. Do we really think no-one would sign Reina? I could understand the loan if it was in the last week of the window, as a last resort.

As soon as we signed Mignolet we knew Reina was off. Neither of them was going to be a number two, regardless what a few window lickers on here thought.

I don't know. Ideally I'd have just kept Reina. I think he's a better keeper than Mignolet, although I think the latter is decent. Why couldn't we have just waited a year, promised Reina that he would be sold if he still wanted to be next summer. Its not like we couldn't find a keeper as good as Mignolet next year if he wasn't available then. Nor would his value has gone up much from the £10m we paid.

Someone made the point, possibly in this thread, about how every time we try to sign someone it takes ages, but when we sell/loan its done in a day or two. Its worrying. We still don't have enough people above the manager that know anything about football.

I've not said you do, mate.

I guess what confuses me the most in all of this is that we have 6 weeks of the transfer window left. Do we really think no-one would sign Reina? I could understand the loan if it was in the last week of the window, as a last resort.

As soon as we signed Mignolet we knew Reina was off. Neither of them was going to be a number two, regardless what a few window lickers on here thought.

I don't know. Ideally I'd have just kept Reina. I think he's a better keeper than Mignolet, although I think the latter is decent. Why couldn't we have just waited a year, promised Reina that he would be sold if he still wanted to be next summer. Its not like we couldn't find a keeper as good as Mignolet next year if he wasn't available then. Nor would his value has gone up much from the £10m we paid.

Someone made the point, possibly in this thread, about how every time we try to sign someone it takes ages, but when we sell/loan its done in a day or two. Its worrying. We still don't have enough people above the manager that know anything about football.

I agree mate.

I like Reina and he was ace the last 6 months of last season. I'd have kept him regardless of wages as great players will cost you big wages and ultimately if FSG want to be in the CL they'll have to get used to it.

The argument for selling Reina (whilst I completely disagree with it) does have merit though.

I just don't get how spending the money now and giving away the better keeper helps us next season.

Your eyes were deceiving you mate, Carra was actually quite shite and he was part of the reason we conceded quite a few goals together with Johnson at our back right post.

Sorry mate I disagree, I thought the defence had a semblance of authority about it after that awful Oldham game and Skrtel and Coates in the team (urrgh). Carragher came back in for the Arsenal and City 2-2 games and was outstanding in both. Reina and Skrtel cocked up preventing us win at City after we had outplayed them. I think Carragher missed one more game after that season and it was the 3-1 loss to Southampton when Skrtel yet again was shite.

I have always thought Johnson is a terrible back post defender though, no disagreement there at all but Carragher and his presence in the side definitely helped shore things up at the back from February onwards. The goals against column will confirm that on his return to the team.

No-one is actually convinced. The people that think Rodgers can do no wrong think this is ace' date=' the people that detest him think this is the worst deal ever.

I probably fall somewhere inbetween. This deal, it doesn't look great. But fuck knows what has gone on behind the scenes.[/quote']

I feel the same but im feeling more underwhelmed by the day where we are concerned. Im starting to suffer from a big dose of Codeitis.