You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

House fixy-uppy shit

Stu Monty

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Good on you, mate. I'm sure having it done the way you want it will help it feel even more like it's your home. Assuming it's for you and you're not developing it to sell on for a quick profit.

Good on you, mate. I'm sure having it done the way you want it will help it feel even more like it's your home. Assuming it's for you and you're not developing it to sell on for a quick profit.

Yeah it's just a small place for me, Milo and the cats.

French doors for the lounge to open on to the garden have been ordered and the sky man is coming this afternoon.

I'm sure it will mate.

But when the place is a builders site, you can't find any clean clothes and my old dear turns up with a lump of coal, a bread roll and a pound note to add to the mess it's not really that helpful.

It's a token, yer miserable get.

And I'm guessing she well knows by now that anything else she bought you would be wrong anyway

It's a token, yer miserable get.

And I'm guessing she well knows by now that anything else she bought you would be wrong anyway

Some Irish blessing according to her.

May you never be cold, may you never be hungry, may you never be poor.

She didn't exactly find it funny when I told her that was fuck all I could buy with a pound note.

Bog, kettle and Sky. Any more than that and you're posh.

I don't have a bog at the moment, he's coming back today to plumb it in.

Went to tescos this morning, picked up a paper as I walked in the store, didn't bother paying for it, went for a shit and read the paper and left it in there for their next customer.

Every little helps.

• Upvote 2

Some Irish blessing according to her.

May you never be cold, may you never be hungry, may you never be poor.

She didn't exactly find it funny when I told her that was fuck all I could buy with a pound note.

I should have added ungrateful to the miserable

Couldn't agree more.

That's the bedroom. Second sky box being installed in there, telly, DVD player and bed built. I'm not touching the decorating in here until the rest of the place is sorted.

Multiroom in a place for one. Fantastic!

Spent a year doing up a house we bought, including - new bathroom, total re-plaster, total rewire, new boiler and new radiators, every piece of wood sanded and glossed, every piece of wallpaper stripped, plastered and painted. Doors dipped and painted, loft emptied out and insulated with some boarding.

After a year when all was done we decided to knock the living room wall down to have a big kitchen diner, plus downstairs toilet. Also, sorted out the front and back gardens. And carpeted the stairs and upstairs.

All in all cost about £30k. Mortgage value said we'd added £50k to the value, so not bad.

Did some of the work ourselves - mostly destruction and decoration (all the stripping and all the painting). Always tried to do that type of stuff instead of paying someone.

Left plumbing and electricals to the experts (though they are a mate and a family friend). Plastering and tiling I think really makes a difference to how things look so definitely left to the experts.

However, if you just want something doing quick it can be good just to pay someone and get it out the way.

Hated - ripping up bathroom tiles; clearing out the loft

Quite liked - ripping out the garden and skipping most of it.

Kitchen was from Brosna and Built In Appliances (Anfield). Bathroom was from B and Q. Tiles from some place in Old Swan and Beesley's (town/toxteth depot).

• Upvote 1

A bit like what I did last year, that. 3 new bathrooms, stairs re routed, roof off, 2 new bedrooms, rewire and re plumb the whole house, underfloor heating, wooden floors down, 2 walls knocked down downstairs, three walls built downstairs, 6 new doors, complete rewire, 80 down lighters installed, kitchen redesign, new study built, paint 14 rooms, hall, stairs and a landing. Done all the decorating and flooring myself. Still bits to do. I'm fucking fed up with it.

Never again. I'm exhausted and skint.