You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd v Everton FA Cup Final

JohnnyH

Who would you rather WON the FA Cup?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you rather WON the FA Cup?

• Man Utd
    • Everton

It was said to me earlier today that this could quite conceivably be this year’s FA Cup Final, and in that case, who would I want to win? I was about to immediately give my obvious answer (in my mind) but then surprised myself with what I started thinking. I then realised that I don’t think this is as straight forward as it sounds.

The assumption would be that locals would want Man Utd to win as Everton are their biggest rivals. Whereas all the OOTers and OOCers would want Everton to win as Man Utd are their biggest rivals. Seems obvious, and it’s how I thought I felt, but I think there’s more to it.

In my case, when I really properly started living and dying by Liverpool’s results in the early 1980s, our biggest title challenger was Everton. They also beat us to the title twice in 1985 and 1987. So they were our biggest rivals in my mind and in reality, and so the team I least wanted to win. When I started going to games with my dad in the mid to late 1980s I then got to understand the local rivalry issue more and that pushed them up even higher as our biggest rivals in my mind. However, since the early 1990s Man Utd have without question overtaken Everton as the team I dislike the most and who I see as our biggest rivals. Everton are certainly the team I see as our 2nd biggest rivals, but Man Utd are well ahead in 1st place in my mind now. I should add that when I say “rivals” I don’t mean rivals for trophies; I mean rivals due to history.

With regards to locals; I don’t think it’s as simple either. The obvious thing is because of the local rivalry, they see Everton as our biggest rivals. But I think many locals under the age of 30 if they are honest with themselves will probably see Man Utd as our biggest rivals as it will hurt more to lose to them then Everton. Also, a lot of local fans of all ages have immediate family members who are Everton fans and so would like to see them win because of that.

So having thought about it, I realised that I love the fact Everton have won nothing under Moyes in 11 years. They bleat about him being some kind of God, when in fact the likes of Portsmouth and Swansea have won trophies since their last one. I like that and want it to continue. Man Utd win things regularly now, so one more FA Cup isn’t going to make a blind bit of difference in my mind, so having thought about it, I’d rather Man Utd won the FA Cup then Everton.

What’s the forum view?

P.S - The poll is private so people can vote with honesty

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My family is split down the middle of Blues and Reds. And, for the most part, having not been raised in Liverpool (and no longer live there), I definitely do not have the antipathy towards Everton that many who were born, bred and still live in Liverpool feel. And obviously they have to put up with the shite on a daily basis, where I don't.

I also don't like Utd continuing to win trophies.

For those reasons, I would rather Everton won.

Guest San Don

Id rather stick blunt fucking pins in my eyes than see manchester united do another double or the shite win the cup.

And imo, if we aint good enough to qualify for any competition on our own ability, I wouldnt want to qualify by the back door on the back of anything manchester united achieve, thanks.

Everton.

As an OOT fan, I am not subject to the vile crap the bitters spout on a daily basis so I have no direct resentment for them.

Also I have hated the mancs for more years than I can remember and I regard them as our rivals.

Everton are geographical rivals, the mancs are the real rivals, only my view.

Regarding the europe thing, no way do I want to enter a tournament due to a manc trophy win.

Horrible question btw. Hopefully Rafa & Roberto can kill this thread off at the weekend.

Guest ShoePiss

I remember laughing and being made up when I heard on the radio that Whiteside had scored, I was actually happy utd had won it in '85, in '95 I still wanted Everton to get beat.

If it happened this year I'm not sure, probably want the blueshite to win it for a number of reasons.

United. Because we'd more than likely get into Europe because of it.

Both finalists goes into Europe. It doesn't matter who wins it. So we better hope Everton doesn't reach the final.

As for the poll: It's like a choice between having your head cut off or being hanged. You'll end up dead anyhow, so why worry.

Everton for me, but think Chelsea will turn over the Mancs on Sunday so probably won't happen.

If it's a Chelsea vs Everton final - then I'd probably want Chelsea to win so we can sing 11 more years!

Here was the vibe when they last got the final:

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/79602-so-its-gonna-tough-but-2.html

I've become numb towards the mancs winning everything so only them winning the European cup would make me sick. The mancs wouldn't be too bothered about it either if they won the FA cup. I hate the rabid twats who support Everton. I supported them in 1995 but a year later they were horrible cunts about us losing to Cantona's goal. Evertonians would never shut up about winning a trophy now, wouldn't it be hilarious to tell them they haven't won a trophy for 20 years which it is slowly creeping up to?