You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shaving Thread

Sugar Ape

When shaving, I...  

136 members have voted

1. 1. When shaving, I...

• Use a Bic/disposable
    • Use a cartridge razor, Mach 3, Fusion etc...
    • Use a Cut Throat Razor
    • Use a Double Edge Safety Razor
    • Maintain stubble
    • Leave a 'tache
    • Fuck shaving, I've got a beard.

I mean suddenly it's cool to use them whilst doffing your fedora and taking money out of a moneyclip. Are they good for just faces or as a whole-head experience?

Oh, I see what you mean. They’re just better razors alriubd. I'll never go back to those multiple blade bullshits. It might take a few goes but it’s like shaving with a hot knife through butter. So much better than the drag of normal blades. Getting a half decent soap lather is half the trick and well worth it.

Oh, I see what you mean. They’re just better razors alriubd. I'll never go back to those multiple blade bullshits. It might take a few goes but it’s like shaving with a hot knife through butter. So much better than the drag of normal blades. Getting a half decent soap lather is half the trick and well worth it.

Yeah there's not a lot of negativity about them when it comes to shaving the face, it's just the scalp bit I need some advice with.  It's a mixed bag online of people claiming cartridge razors are still the way to go with the scalp or not. 

• 2 weeks later...

Missus got me a set with beard oil, shaving cream and a safety razor in for Xmas. Just had my first shave with it. Very impressed. Closer than cartridge ones and no nicks etc just a bit more time consuming. I got Wilkinson razors as the pack didn't have any. Do you throw the blades out each time or are they multiple use?

Missus got me a set with beard oil, shaving cream and a safety razor in for Xmas. Just had my first shave with it. Very impressed. Closer than cartridge ones and no nicks etc just a bit more time consuming. I got Wilkinson razors as the pack didn't have any. Do you throw the blades out each time or are they multiple use?

Multiple use. If you dry them properly, and don’t have wire growing from your face, you’ll get a good four out of them. Try Astra blades, mate. Fucking amazing. Sharp and smooth.

• Upvote 1

Multiple use. If you dry them properly, and don’t have wire growing from your face, you’ll get a good four out of them. Try Astra blades, mate. Fucking amazing. Sharp and smooth.

Cheers mate. I've dried and put into a tupperwear box (more to keep it toddler safe than anything) it was only a cheap handle I think but did the job.

I suffer from bad ingrowing hairs on my neck so it will be interesting to see if there's any improvement which is mentioned online.

Will look at those blades. I got 10 Wilkinson ones for a quid from my local "sells everything under the sun and is open 365 days" shop so will see how they cope. I'm only doing my neck abs cheeks as am rocking a goatee at the minute.

Cheers mate. I've dried and put into a tupperwear box (more to keep it toddler safe than anything) it was only a cheap handle I think but did the job.

I suffer from bad ingrowing hairs on my neck so it will be interesting to see if there's any improvement which is mentioned online.

Will look at those blades. I got 10 Wilkinson ones for a quid from my local "sells everything under the sun and is open 365 days" shop so will see how they cope. I'm only doing my neck abs cheeks as am rocking a goatee at the minute.

Yeah, it should help with the ingrowing hairs. Both multi blade and electric razors pull the hair up, so the end can settle under the skin. This helps a lot, which is why black guys often use it. They're notorious for ingrowing hairs.

Good luck shaving your abs dude

Good luck shaving your abs dude

Too much gainz on them so have left it

So almost two weeks of double edge razor shaving. I'm still using it, actually enjoying the process of shaving with the brush etc which I never thought I would. I must have rough hair because I'm getting two shaves per razor before they start pulling a bit.

The only place I have issues with is the curve of my neck. I've tried going up, left, right, down but find it hard to get a close shave there.

Going to get myself a better handle though as the one I have (came in a boots set) despite by best efforts at drying is showing signs of rusting. Is there a trusted technique for drying the razors and butterfly handles?

That said, more important than the razor is the razor blade and surprisingly important is the soap/cream and how you lather it. Those two things are way more important than spending out on a razor. A good lather can make the difference between a good shave and a bad shave. There’s a lot of videos in this thread so you might well have seen them and have your technique down. In case you haven’t...

Very, very cheap but very good soap: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00837YY18/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1515141437&sr=8-1&keywords=proraso&dpPl=1&dpID=51I7I9KxJoL&ref=plSrch

Medium price but excellent soap: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cella-Shaving-Soap-Pot-150g/dp/B002Y1451S

Technique

• Upvote 1

Butterfly? Fuck those.

You’re getting two shaves per Blade because you’re using Wilkinson blades. I can’t even use them once. If you’re interested in doing this thing properly, I could give you decently priced recommendations on kit?

Yeah the Wilkinson sword razors aren't the best from what you've, and the general internet has said, my local corner shop just had them.  Going to invest in a proper kit once they run out.  Cheers for the recommendations there

https://www.salonwholesale.com/astra-superior-platinum-double-edge-razor-blades-100-blades.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcnOhLzA2AIVgjgbCh2VYQYWEAQYASABEgL5lPD_BwE

No worries. But seriously, buying Astra Blades in a pack on 100 lasts me about two years. Same with soap. That lasts me fucking ages. I probably shave for a tenner a year.

• Upvote 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arko-Shaving-Cream-Soap-Stick/dp/B000VAWZ2U

Arko is a decent soap, almost impossible to get a bad lather with it, good for beginners.

If you can't be fucked waiting for a delivery to come, you can get a palmolive one for about 50p from the likes of Tesco and Asda, decent stuff, I've had far worse for 10x the price. d695f26a5244acce734ecb9b8e978f9e.jpg3a0fc4517e39ef7461e37d968bc453b1.jpg

https://www.salonwholesale.com/astra-superior-platinum-double-edge-razor-blades-100-blades.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcnOhLzA2AIVgjgbCh2VYQYWEAQYASABEgL5lPD_BwE

No worries. But seriously, buying Astra Blades in a pack on 100 lasts me about two years. Same with soap. That lasts me fucking ages. I probably shave for a tenner a year.

Cheers for the tip. The delivery cost to Sweden is only 2.95 and everything is WAY cheaper than buying here.

I am currently rocking a Christmas/New Year/Laziness beard, so only do my neck.

I can recommend the eucalyptus and menthol shaving cream from Proraso. That site has 500ml for a tenner and one 150ml tube lasted me about 7 months as you only need a pea sized amount to get a great lather.

Cheers for the tip. The delivery cost to Sweden is only 2.95 and everything is WAY cheaper than buying here.

I am currently rocking a Christmas/New Year/Laziness beard, so only do my neck.

I can recommend the eucalyptus and menthol shaving cream from Proraso. That site has 500ml for a tenner and one 150ml tube lasted me about 7 months as you only need a pea sized amount to get a great lather.

Proraso is like 2.50 here. That’s such amazing value. I personally have a little collection of fancy creams. A few razors, and many blade brands. After the initial purchase I’ve paid nothing for over a year.

I use the EJ DE89 linked above and the very, very aggressive Muhle R41. To see how savage... I mean, efficient the R41 is, check this video out from 9 minutes. Keep in mind he has virtually a full beard.

https://youtu.be/ioUSaq40zxU

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Bought a lecky shaver because I'm a lazy bastard and after using it look a bit like Hellboy, does your skin get used to it or what?

Havent wet shaved since my very early 40's. I used to blunt gillette's finest twin blades after 3 shaves and needed a new shaving head. Far too expensive a pasttime!

Yes, it does take time for your skin to get used to a dry shave. I reckon it took me 4 to 6 weeks. Some people say you'll never get as close a shave with a leccie but Ive had no complaints. I could never have 2 wet shaves in a day but if Id rushed in the morning with the leccie and was going out in the evening, I could have another shave with it no problems.

In my view, it's best to have a leccies shave about 20 minutes or so after getting up in the morning so your face isnt quite so puffy enabling the leccie to do it's best.

I always found Phillishavers to be best. I tried Remington, shit and Braun quite good, glided over the skin but didnt give a close shave. Even with Phillishavers, results can vary. I bought a £160 model about 5 years ago, Supposedly can use it in the shower(!) as a wet shaver and it's pants so went back to my older model.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Bought a lecky shaver because I'm a lazy bastard and after using it look a bit like Hellboy, does your skin get used to it or what?

After using Philips for about 40 years I got rid of my last one for that reason.

I ended up getting a top of the range Panasonic foil shaver.

It took a week or so for my skin to adapt to the change from rotary and the shaving head is pretty big but it really is superb once you get used to it.

It's the closest shave I've ever had off a lecky anyway.

I can get a little sore under the jawline sometimes but a little balm sorts that out.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Havent wet shaved since my very early 40's. I used to blunt gillette's finest twin blades after 3 shaves and needed a new shaving head. Far too expensive a pasttime!

Yes, it does take time for your skin to get used to a dry shave. I reckon it took me 4 to 6 weeks. Some people say you'll never get as close a shave with a leccie but Ive had no complaints. I could never have 2 wet shaves in a day but if Id rushed in the morning with the leccie and was going out in the evening, I could have another shave with it no problems.

In my view, it's best to have a leccies shave about 20 minutes or so after getting up in the morning so your face isnt quite so puffy enabling the leccie to do it's best.

I always found Phillishavers to be best. I tried Remington, shit and Braun quite good, glided over the skin but didnt give a close shave. Even with Phillishavers, results can vary. I bought a £160 model about 5 years ago, Supposedly can use it in the shower(!) as a wet shaver and it's pants so went back to my older model.

Was your last Philips the 9000 by any chance?