You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Obama's Inauguration

AngryOfTuebrook

I'm jumping in late here but can I just say that any white bloke who says 'nigger' should be forced to plough the fields of a black man for all eternity.

Its totally wrong, unless you wrap quotes around it.

Nigger. Thre i said it.

I'll forever be known as 'That Nigger Guy' just like my hero Randy Marsh.

• 8 years later...

Just watching a programme on sky news about Obama's time as president.

Obama. The president who hoped To Change America.

http://news.sky.com/video/obama-the-president-who-hope-to-change-america-10735103

I know most of you don't have any time for sky news but I thought it was a really good programme. I keep hearing that the American president is the most powerful person in the world but I think this programme dispels that. Such a shame not only for America but for the rest of the planet as I think he was the first President who genuinely wanted to change things for the better for everyone and not just the few the privileged few.

http://news.sky.com/video/obama-the-president-who-hope-to-change-america-10735103

I know most of you don't have any time for sky news but I thought it was a really good programme. I keep hearing that the American president is the most powerful person in the world but I think this programme dispels that. Such a shame not only for America but for the rest of the planet as I think he was the first President who genuinely wanted to change things for the better for everyone and not just the few the privileged few.

Rich Hall done a program on BBC 4 about the president of America and he said the same.

Because it is a Republic then the president can't meet overseas officials on his own.

I don't think there are many under the illusion that the President of the US can impose his will on anything if it doesn't chime with the corporates and vested interests running the country.  Whether it's starting a war, stopping a war, deciding on energy policy, healthcare etc etc.  

I don't think there are many under the illusion that the President of the US can impose his will on anything if it doesn't chime with the corporates and vested interests running the country.  Whether it's starting a war, stopping a war, deciding on energy policy, healthcare etc etc.  

Surely his political mandate and being commander in chief gives him at least a veto on military operations? I cannot image the US invading someone with the President against the move.

I'm not saying you are, stop putting me in a box that you designed and making silly assumptions and portraying me to be a crazed savage. You are only doing what you are accusing me of doing. You are justifying the occupation as you thoughlessly repeat propaganda, I simply want you to think for yourself, you are not. There are no conditions to Palestines sovereignty just as there would be none to ours if we were invaded tomorrow. Isreal is clearly on promoting insecurity on both sides and some are making a lot of money from it and it will continue as long as intellectuals like you pander to such propaganda.

(Who wants peace, the starving, war ravaged Palestinian people do, the Isreali middle class people do, the reason there is not peace is that it is being purposely blocked.

Now you can tell me that it is 'militants' who are blocking it or a big machine with one of the most powerful armies on the planet, backed by the most powerful army on the planet with economical interests also supporting it. Who has power here, who can make the difference and why won't they?

Palestine has been occupied an awfully long time and lauching rockets has been going on for not very long in comparison, it's excuse after excuse, after excuse not to withdraw and take settlements with them but they are still building them.)

Look at Dennis using all that punctuation and being coherent ten years ago. It was before he found his voice and persona that made him famous.

Surely his political mandate and being commander in chief gives him at least a veto on military operations? I cannot image the US invading someone with the President against the move.

I agree, that is the least likely of the multitude of scenarios to occur, but not an impossible one to envisage.  I can certainly see the scenario where a president wanting to stop a war is persuaded out of it for reasons as much to do with the military-industrial complex as the wider political context.  

I agree, that is the least likely of the multitude of scenarios to occur, but not an impossible one to envisage.  I can certainly see the scenario where a president wanting to stop a war is persuaded out of it for reasons as much to do with the military-industrial complex as the wider political context.  

The veto is more likely to be imposed by the generals at this stage with him wanting to invade Taiwan or North Korea.  

I don't think so. Simply because the people who want those wars have paid for him to be elected. With Trump I'd like to think that a few war weary generals might actually try to stop him rather than vice versa.

US Presidents dont have the power to declare war. They can order military forces into action though. Any US military officer who instigates military action without authorisation from the President is effectively being insubordinate.

Here's a brief overview of Executive powersof any President from Cornell University

Executive Power: An Overview

In its first three articles, the U.S. Constitution outlines the branches of the U.S. Government, the powers that they contain and the limitations to which they must adhere. Article II outlines the duties of the Executive Branch.

The President of the United States is elected to a four-year term by electors from every state and the District of Columbia. The electors make up the Electoral College, which is comprised of 538 electors, equal to the number of Representatives and Senators that currently make up Congress. The citizens of each state vote for slates of electors who then vote for the president on the prescribed day, selected by Congress.

In order to become president, a person must be a natural born citizen of the United States. Naturalized citizens are ineligible, as are persons under the age of 35. In the case that the president should be unable to perform his duties, be it by death or illness, the vice-president becomes the president. Amendment XXII placed a two-term limit on the presidential office.

The president:
  • is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. He or she has the power to call into service the state units of the National Guard, and in times of emergency may be given the power by Congress to manage national security or the economy.
  • has the power make treaties with Senate approval. He or she can also receive ambassadors and work with leaders of other nations.
  • is responsible for nominating the heads of governmental departments, which the Senate must then approve. In addition, the president nominates judges to federal courts and justices to the United States Supreme Court.
  • can issue executive orders, which have the force of law but do not have to be approved by congress.
  • can issue pardons for federal offenses.
  • can convene Congress for special sessions.
  • can veto legislation approved by Congress. However, the veto is limited. It is not a line-item veto, meaning that he or she cannot veto only specific parts of legislation, and it can be overridden by a two-thirds vote by Congress.
  • delivers a State of the Union address annually to a joint session of Congress.

War Powers

Congress holds the power to declare war. As a result, the president cannot declare war without their approval. However, as the Commander in Chief of the armed forces, many presidents have sent troops to battle without an official war declaration (ex. Vietnam, Korea). The 1973 War Powers Act attempted to define when and how the president could send troops to battle by adding strict time frames for reporting to Congress after sending troops to war, in addition to other measures.

Nominations

The president is responsible for nominating candidates for the head positions of government offices. A president will nominate cabinet officials and secretaries at the beginning of his or her presidency and will fill vacancies as necessary. In addition, the president is responsible for nominating Federal Circuit Court judges and Supreme Court justices and choosing the chief justice. These nominations must be confirmed by the Senate.

Executive Orders

In times of emergency, the president can override congress and issue executive orders with almost limitless power. Abraham Lincoln used an executive order in order to fight the Civil War, Woodrow Wilson issued one in order to arm the United States just before it entered World War I, and Franklin Roosevelt approved Japanese internment camps during World War II with an executive order. Many other executive orders are on file and could be enacted at any time.

Pardons

The U.S. Constitution gives the president almost limitless power to grant pardons to those convicted of federal crimes. While the president cannot pardon someone impeached by Congress, he or she can pardon anyone else without any Congressional involvement.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.theonion.com/article/departing-obama-tearfully-shoos-away-loyal-drone-f-55100

700.jpg

WASHINGTON—Stopping and turning around as he made his way across the South Lawn after hearing the unmanned aerial vehicle hovering just feet behind him, outgoing President Barack Obama tearfully shooed away a loyal MQ-9 Reaper drone attempting to follow him out of the White House, sources confirmed Friday. “Go on now—get out of here!” said the former commander-in-chief, his lower lip trembling and his eyes welling with tears as he affected a stern tone of voice in an attempt to scare off the faithful hunter-killer drone that had spent the past eight years obediently at his side. “You can’t come with me anymore, you got that? Can’t you see this is for your own good? Now scram. What are you waiting for? Go!” At press time, a heartbroken Obama had thrown a rock in the drone’s direction, causing the unmanned aerial vehicle to flee into the sky, where it paused to look back one last time at its old master before flying off toward a Yemeni tribal wedding