You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Red Sox gives the a whole lot more value than LFC.

If you think the Red Sox is purely financial, then you don't understand the power of influence.

LFC is purely financial now, because they did what they promised and nothing more will enhance their reputation any further.in the business world.

Not disagreeing just wanted to see about valuation. What do you think 60/40 Red Sox?

You do know Henry's and Werner's history with baseball then?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

You do know Henry's and Werner's history with baseball then?

Not particularly. 

But I know at close quarters why very wealthy people buy franchises. 

And it's either access (indirect ROI) or asset growth (direct ROI). Red Sox gives them both. LFC doesn't.

Anything I'm missing?

19 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

So what I'm getting from Moe is they are t really selling but don't be surprised if they do if someone pays what they deem value

In truth, everyone is guessing. 

The Boston Globe are likely the most accurate. For whatever reason they want to put it out there that they are open to sell it. 

The more I read, the more I find it strange that they are choosing to go now. 

It could be that they have someone who is very interested and they have made it public to show them that they aren't the only ones in town and that they need to increase their offer. 

Maybe it's for a minority stake and they want to spook them into thinking that they will sell it all to someone else and the interested party will get nothing. 

Frankly, not sure why they would leak it now. It all seems quite choreographed. Anyone that would be interested would have received a sales pack last month and wouldn't just hear about it from reading the Daily Star. Not sure that is the way John - the recluse - Henry does things. 

5 minutes ago, m0e said:

Not particularly. 

But I know at close quarters why very wealthy people buy franchises. 

And it's either access (indirect ROI) or asset growth (direct ROI). Red Sox gives them both. LFC doesn't.

Anything I'm missing?

Just the power of influence part of your statement above. Neither (Henry, Werner) needed the Red Sox to "influence" more folks for money. 

Maybe I misread your point here

If you think the Red Sox is purely financial, then you don't understand the power of influence.

I do agree btw - Red Sox is more valuable and now would be an ideal time to cash out.

Is that a good thing now for the club do you think?

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Just the power of influence part of your statement above. Neither needed the Red Sox to "influence" more folks for money. 

Maybe I misread your point here

If you think the Red Sox is purely financial, then you don't understand the power of influence.

I do agree btw - Red Sox is more valuable and now would be an ideal time to cash out.

Is that a good thing now for the club do you think?

I think having an iconic venue brings so much access which leads to unprecedented influence. I've been in the venue business for over 20 years, and nothing beats it for networking.

And I don't think influence is solely about money. It's more about power, status, and the ability to 'win' over the competition. These guys are ultra competitive.

Also, I don't think now is a great time to cash out of Liverpool unless:

1- they're worried we won't maintain CL football, or 

2- they have better things to do with the cash now that the recession is hitting hard

The whole idea of PL football is to wait until the TV rights go to the big-tech companies. That could double our value.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Nah - Boehly overpaid for Chelsea - now is the perfect time. 

Why? Loads of places are saying the yanks think that the premier League clubs are undervalued. 

Whether you like him or not, Boehly is not stupid. There is a reason so many consortiums were happy to pay so much to someone who had to sell. 

3 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Why? Loads of places are saying the yanks think that the premier League clubs are undervalued. 

Whether you like him or not, Boehly is not stupid. There is a reason so many consortiums were happy to pay so much to someone who had to sell. 

Who? 4 to 5 billion for LFC right now? They will leave the office furniture and the plants.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Who? 4 to 5 billion for LFC right now? They will leave the office furniture and the plants.

Well one of the people that bought Chelsea for a start said it. A number of news outlets have commented that is how the Americans look at it as well compared to their own sports teams. 

Why were many consortiums prepared to pay £4.25bn for a distressed asset at Chelsea if it's overpriced? How many idiots have access to that type of money? 

Unless FSG desperately need the cash for something else now I am not sure why they are selling now. 

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Anfield is one of the most iconic venues in the world, not just in baseball. 

It's not much use to them. How can it be? They're hardly here and the people they want to network with aren't going to go there either.

Fenway is a different story.

17 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Chelsea is a weird one.

They have a squad full of expensive players that are mostly average. They also have a relatively small stadium that is going to be very difficult and very expensive to expand!

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Squad - needs cash infusion

CL Qualification - more difficult

Klopp - out

The only one there is the CL qualification. The squad rebuild could be paid for by some of the money received from.a minority stake.

If they sold the club then it's likely that the buyer would adjust the figure to reflect the club needs investment as well. So they would lose that money either way. 

would think the potential upside.from TV deals outweighs the other aspects otherwise people wouldn't be queuing up to buy these clubs at such high prices. 

8 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Chelsea is a weird one.

They have a squad full of expensive players that are mostly average. They also have a relatively small stadium that is going to be very difficult and very expensive to expand!

They do but there were a lot of very successful businessmen who were prepared to pay top whack for them. That surely says something. Especially as I doubt a single one of them was blinded by their love for the club!

4 minutes ago, HBenn said:

would think the potential upside.from TV deals outweighs the other aspects otherwise people wouldn't be queuing up to buy these clubs at such high prices. 

They are not. No one has paid near what Boehly paid.

The guys selling are the same fellas who just bought AC Milan for 1 b. 

AC Milan!

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They are not. No one has paid near what Boehly paid.

The guys selling are the same fellas who just bought AC Milan for 1 b. 

AC Milan!

The Americans think PL clubs are undervalued. How many top PL clubs have exchanged hands recently? One. How many consortiums were looking to buy it? 3-7 really serious ones? That is a lot. Then factor in that the owner had to sell.and yet still got £4.25bn. Were all these consortiums dumb then? Or are they seeing something more. They aren't coming here for a vanity project. In the same way FSG didn't when they arrived. 

AC Milan are playing in a completely different league which is considered nowhere near the level of the PL now. Wasn't Origi one of their main signings? 

We could end up being owned by redbird who will be just as frugal as FSG and we stand still or rather go backwards. I dont think we will be sold for 4 billion, Chelsea has value purely for where it is. I could say I don't think FSG will be going anywhere in the near future but it's purely just saying shit because who has a clue. To me it feels like a story that will whimper into nothing like our dreams of signing a midfielder or two in January.

8 hours ago, RobbieOR said:

I'm very wary about this. We have been burned before with the club being sold. Some of you need to be careful what you wish for.

A leveraged buy out will not be possible with today's valuation and interest payments. 

Annual interest payment would be £250million at today's interest rates. Just not going to happen