You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson, know your role and shut your mouth

Wrong.

The pool of those available, who would take it, who could improve things, is pitifully shallow.

Hodgson is not the right man to lead us into the next tournament, but the problems are such that they are beyond what any one man is likely to be able to do without significant FA change

I agree with this.  There's no obvious candidate.  They should be seeking out the man to take over in 2016 now

I don't think that Ray Lewington would necessarily be the answer.

Beyond that, Pardew, Redknapp, Bruce- are they really better?

When the FA took a chance with McClaren it backfired, good coach, but not up to the big job.

Bearing in mind that the job requires few league "managerial" skills, maybe a left field coaching appointment could work. But so few recently retired England players are qualified coaches and have experience playing/coaching abroad. Which is why we are stuck with Roy, and English football is stuck with it.

I actually meant Neville. But Pardew would probably be an upgrade too.

They've tried it all before though and they were still shit.

They tried an up and coming English manager - he was shit.

They tried two foreign winners - they were shit.

No matter what they do, they're usually shit.

When did they try an up and coming English manager?

They tried two foreign managers looking for a retirement fund.

They're not usually as shit as they have been at this World Cup. Knocked out after two fucking games.

We tried saying he was totally shit but would anyone listen.

The media got what they wanted (Roy) but it's all gone t*ts up and they won't accept that they were wrong. Therefore there are loads of articles every day about how he needs to be given another two years and this next GOLDEN GENERATION of players (John Stones!!) will ride to the rescue.

Most people on this forum know there isn't going to be anyone riding to the rescue.

The abuse Gerrard's taken in this country the last week is a joke.

Aside from the LFC players involved, as far as I'm concerned anyone to do with England can f**k off. This country's got the football team it deserves.

None of our players play abroad. They spend the whole season knocking shit out of one another. Media are always involved in the rivalry too.

Our football is too tribal, too incestuous, too up itself and too complacent.

When the Irish, the Ivory Coast, the Australians get together its like the gathering of the clans. When England get together, theyre all checking out the Bentleys in the car park. They cant be expected to bond. Look all over Twitter et al, at how divided and tribal the fans of our big clubs are.

There's no unity whatsoever. Then you get Gabriel Clark shoving a mic in someones face and they will throw a colleague under a bus without a second thought.

The sight of Colleens 10 suitcases being wheeled in for what turned out to be only a 5 day stay says it all.

England needed to put as many youngsters in the side as possible.

I don't buy the experienced bollocks.

Catch these young players while they are still making a name for themselves.

That's all England have to replace the inherent national pride other sides display.

Hodgson picked just enough young players to keep the media happy, just enough to keep that line of attack at bay. Except he didn't really believe in that policy. That's why Lallana and Barkley have barely had 90 minutes between them in two games.

He'll be sending out the youngsters on Tuesday, secretly hoping for a narrow 1-0 defeat. This will give him the opportunity to vindicate himself for not properly going for it with youngsters in the earlier games. I can hear it now. I hope England get twatted 5-0.

Maybe THAT will get his grill off my TV for good.

I'll be watching Luis anyway.

Fuck you Hodgson, you massive massive fraud.

When did they try an up and coming English manager?

They tried two foreign managers looking for a retirement fund.

They're not usually as shit as they have been at this World Cup. Knocked out after two fucking games.

McClaren.  Who is arguably still the best candidate from the English managers.

Yeah, relatively speaking, they have been a bit shitter than in recent years/tournaments, but they're still just fodder ultimately. It's basically always been like that regardless of who's been in charge.  Euro 96 being the one exception - they should have won that.

They didn't even qualify for 1994 under Taylor or the Euros under McClaren so they have been even shitter than this before.

Been out of the loop awhile but why the fuck hasn't former old trafford legend Ron Atkinson been mentioned by the media as an alternative to Roy? And why hasn't he been on ITV over Brazil commentating on the World Cup?

Is he dead? Thinking of it he must be dead, must've missed it, so sad. RIP Big Ron.

When the CB evolution went through Keown, Campbell, Carra, Ferdinand and Terry, and the likes of Jagielka would've been carrying the water bottles. I'd even take a 2002 Keown over him.

No offence mate but take a look around the world at the quality of CB's in '02, or now - England have never been at the top - in any position. Ever.

No offence mate but take a look around the world at the quality of CB's in '02, or now - England have never been at the top - in any position. Ever.

I never said they were at the top. Just that when the national side had good defenders but struggled in attack, choosing a defensive coach wasn't ideal.

Would you say the quality of English CBs now was better than under Capello or Eriksson?

I never said they were at the top. Just that when the national side had good defenders but struggled in attack, choosing a defensive coach wasn't ideal.

Would you say the quality of English CBs now was better than under Capello or Eriksson?

I agree.

We have the least talented defenders now since 1966. Johnson's shoe in at RB is embarrassing.

We have no world class players, none of the English side would get in the side of the leading nations.

I also fear that Shaw's reputation is growing as best of a bad bunch.

I would say the quality the difference in quality throughout the side compared to previous England teams is negligible - maybe a tad more in attack or defense over the last 20 years. Still wanting over the very top teams in terms of individuals and well short in terms of desire.

I would say the quality the difference in quality throughout the side compared to previous England teams is negligible - maybe a tad more in attack or defense over the last 20 years. Still wanting over the very top teams in terms of individuals and well short in terms of desire.

I can't agree with that.

Seaman in goal, Gary Neville, a younger Gerrard, Beckham, the emerging Owen, Paul Gascoigne in his pomp, Rio Ferdinand and Southgate, were all a cut above, and that is eight players.

I accept that they were still not good enough, but the current crop is an insipid a team as I have seen for a long time.

I can't agree with that.

Seaman in goal, Gary Neville, a younger Gerrard, Beckham, the emerging Owen, Paul Gascoigne in his pomp, Rio Ferdinand and Southgate, were all a cut above, and that is eight players.

I accept that they were still not good enough, but the current crop is an insipid a team as I have seen for a long time.

I think you have put two (or three) sides together there fella - Gazza in his pomp is 90 - no Neville, no Gerrard - unless you are just reeling off English players who have been a little useful over the last 25 years.