You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Really looking forward to this now, made up characters notwithstanding.

Shame its a December 2012 release though.

Still I suppose its Jacksons way of giving all the other studios advance warning not to go up against him that month.

This has the potential to be a big money earner, maybe not Avatar big but not far off.

Since Return of the King I cant think of any film in this genre that made much of an impression to be honest.

The Narnia films were quite tame, and sadly Pullmans Dark materials doesn't seem to be able to progress further than the Golden Compass film.

I suppose there's the Harry Potter series but I'm not a fan, just seems to have been years of Marvel/DC adaptions instead.

Tolkien it is then...

Which character has been invented?

It s a woodland elf called Tauriel.

They talked awhile back about this but it was going to be called litral or similar.

They went as far as the casting stage om the character.

The girl they wanted had to turn them down due to other work.The next thing was the part was scrapped.

All of a sudden this character appears as the same type of character as the other.

People rightly thinking the character is going to be a loe interest for Legolas in the film.

Jackson has denied that is the reason for her to be in the film.

The hobbit has no females in the book and I hear this is the reason for her to be included.

The thing that I dont understand is when the film was first talked about,it was said it wouldnt be a good film to watch or make because theres not enough in the book to make a entertaining film.

They talked about the need for more characters to be in the film,so all they do is add one character and somehow manage to make not one but two parts to the film.not bad considering what they said.

IMO and this is just a gut feeling is one film would of done and two being made sounds to me,its going to be a loose take on the book,with the main story sticking to the book,and many other things added in to it.

• 6 months later...
Can't help but see this as just a downscaled LOTR.

I think there is always that danger but Jackson knows and respects the source material too much to allow anything like that to happen.

He's responsible for bringing the Middle Earth of the books off the page and that feel will remain for the two Hobbit films. It is, of course, the same world after all.

What will be featured in these films that will probably help stand it apart from the LOTR trilogy is humour. The Hobbit was without doubt a lighter read; a far less serious book as it was aimed at kids (I mean, back when kid's books were brilliant, not like this Twilight shite nowadays) and the Dwarves are comic relief from the more serious Gandalf and Bilbo's encounters with Smaug and Gollum.

Personally - and I am biased because I love the books and the films so much - I feel it will be sufficiently different from LOTR to satisfy fans, while at the same time taking us back to that amazingly detailed and rich world that was created for us thirteen years ago.

Cannot fucking wait.

I love The Hobbit. So much I even deciphered the Dwarven alphabet from the runes printed on the map on the inside cover using the text. I was ecstatic to find out the story effectively continued in LOTR. Smaller in scale than LOTR? Yes. But should be no less cherished or loved.

I'm really looking forward to it.

• 3 weeks later...

The Hobbit Goes from Two to Three Films

Peter Jackson revealed at Comic Con that he's got enough material to make a third Hobbit movie, so it comes as absolutely no surprise that he's confirmed the third film on his Facebook page today. At Comic Con, Jackson said he had "incredible source material" that he wanted to do something with.

"The Hobbit is obviously the novel, but we also have the rights to use this 125 pages of additional notes that Tolkien expanded the world of The Hobbit that's published at the end of Return of the King. We've used some of that so far, just in the last few weeks as we've been prepping out the shooting and thinking about the shape of the story," explained Jackson. "Eventually Philippa [boyens] and Fran [Walsh] and I have been talking to the studio about other things that we haven't been able to shoot and seeing if we could possibly persuade them to do a few more weeks of shooting. It'll be more than a few weeks actually, a bit of shooting, additional shooting next year."

And today on Facebook, Jackson made it official that there will be another Hobbit film:

"It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved 'yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of The Hobbit films, I'd like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, 'a tale that grew in the telling.'

Cheers,

Peter J"

Jackson/New Line/Warner Bros haven't confirmed the release date for this third film, although the summer of 2014 has been mentioned. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey arrives on December 14th followed by The Hobbit: There and Back Again on December 13, 2013.

Personally I'm delighted. It's not as if Jackson is just making any of the material up. It's all Tolkien's work he's putting onto film. Don't get why anyone's outraged by this at all. We're going to end up with a Jackson-Tolkien trilogy and that worked a bit well last time didn't it.

I'm in complete agreement with RL here, having read a lot of the additional works he's talking about (will they delve in to the The Children of Húrin too?) I can totally understand why they want to make a third film and I think the material is more than rich enough to do that with.

Personally I'm delighted. It's not as if Jackson is just making any of the material up. It's all Tolkien's work he's putting onto film. Don't get why anyone's outraged by this at all. We're going to end up with a Jackson-Tolkien trilogy and that worked a bit well last time didn't it.

It really did not work. One good viewing, but they are horribly boring fucking films... Jackson is a fucking hack. He cold easily do ONE for the Hobbit but since he's milking it for all it's worth... He's taking the fucking piss. The shitcunt.

It really did not work. One good viewing, but they are horribly boring fucking films... Jackson is a fucking hack. He cold easily do ONE for the Hobbit but since he's milking it for all it's worth... He's taking the fucking piss. The shitcunt.

Peter Jackson is a hack? Holy Moly!

I sense many a negging for you for that outlandish comment Unrighteous.

Have you even seen Braindead?