You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel president Shimon Peres accuses Britain of pro-Arab bias

JER

I was trying to find an interview I saw with this guy ages ago but couldn't find it. However I found this Interesting talk with him, someone raised as a Jewish Israeli and the son of a well known Israeli general. Obviously it's a single persons viewpoint but interesting to see how he views the situation as a Jewish Israeli who thinks the Jewish Israelis need to take a look at themselves. 

Ignore the title of the video as it's not the sensationalist bollocks you would expect from the title. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etXAm-OylQQ

So we have Israelis speaking in perfect American claiming this was just an anti-semetic crime, while the BBC gloss over the fact that the security forces are putting houses of untried suspects to the torch (what other reason would the Palestinians have for hating Israelis other than religion after all...).

Meanwhile we have a genuine fascistic movement, organised, publicised and incredibly well-funded in Syria and Iraq gaining ground because of a political vacuum WE CREATED, destroying lives and filling mass graves and the news line is that we don't give a shit. It's infuriating.

Israel urges calm after Palestinian teenager's body found

The BBC's Christian Fraser on the "front line" in East Jerusalem

Israeli leaders have appealed for calm after the discovery of a kidnapped Palestinian teenager's body sparked clashes in East Jerusalem.

Mohammed Abu Khdair, 17, was seen being forced into a car early on Wednesday.

Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the "despicable murder" and the mayor of Jerusalem urged restraint.

Palestinian leaders said they held Israel responsible for the killing, amid claims it was in revenge for the murder of three Israeli teenagers.

Agence France-Presse quoted the militant group Hamas as telling Israeli leaders: "Our people will not let this crime pass... You will pay the price for these crimes."

The BBC's Yolande Knell in Jerusalem says the Palestinian teenager's funeral is expected to take place later on Wednesday and will be another cause for tension.

'Law-abiding state'

Mr Netanyahu said he had ordered police to work "as quickly as possible to find out who was being the heinous murder of the youth" and called on both sides "not to take the law into their own hands".

"Israel is a law-abiding state and everyone is obliged to act according to it," he said.

Jerusalem mayor Nir Barkat also denounced the murder, urging all to "exercise restraint".

_75994115_jerusalem_bodies_624map.jpg

_76000501_99ftkl65.jpgViolence erupted in Shufat, East Jerusalem, after the body was discovered

_76000546_6v84odrc.jpgThere were also early morning clashes in Jenin in the West Bank

"This is a horrible and barbaric act which I strongly condemn," he said.

Israeli Internal Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch urged patience as the investigation was carried out.

The families of the three murdered Israeli teenagers also issued a statement condemning the latest killing.

"If the Arab youth was murdered because of nationalistic motives then this is a horrible and horrendous act," it said.

"There is no difference between Arab blood and Jewish blood. Murder is murder. There is no forgiveness or justification for any murder."

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas said in a statement: "I demand the Israeli government punish the killers if it wants peace between the Palestinian and Israeli people".

_74982321_line976.jpg

At the scene: Yolande Knell, BBC News, Jerusalem

Roads are closed off all around the Shufat neighbourhood of East Jerusalem as crowds of young Palestinians vent their anger. Some have begun destroying the shelters for the Israeli tram system.

Small groups are using catapults to launch stones at heavily armed Israeli police officers. They are responding with rounds of rubber bullets. An ambulance has whizzed past with sirens blaring, suggesting there have been injuries.

While there has been no confirmation that this was a revenge attack for the three murdered Israelis whose bodies were found in the West Bank earlier this week, there is no doubt among Palestinians here about what has happened.

_74982321_line976.jpg

Mr Abbas's spokesman, Nabil Abu Rudeina, said in a separate statement that Israel was "fully responsible for the killing of the teenager".

Clashes erupted outside the teenager's home in the Arab district of Shufat in East Jerusalem after news broke of the discovery of the body.

Protesters threw stones at officers, who responded by firing sound bombs, tear gas and rubber bullets.

At least 35 people were injured by the rubber bullets, reports said.

Scores of Israelis had angrily protested in Jerusalem late on Tuesday, after the funerals of the three Israeli teenagers.

Ghonit Sela, director of the Human Rights in East Jerusalem Project, told the BBC further attacks were feared.

_75989254_75989253.jpgThe violence comes a day after funerals were held in the West Bank for the three murdered Israeli teenagers

_75950278_fzzqp390.jpgThe abductions of Naftali Frenkel, Gilad Shaar and Eyal Yifrach sparked a massive search operation

"We saw dozens of people walking in broad daylight in the streets, yelling 'death to Arabs', trying to attack Arabs.

"I know my Palestinian friends today are not taking public transportation, they're afraid of what would happen. I also know that myself and my Jewish friends would be scared to go today into a Palestinian neighbourhood."

The uncle of the kidnapped Palestinian teenager confirmed that the body found in a forest near Givat Shaul, in the western outskirts of Jerusalem, was Mohammed Abu Khdair's.

The body was partly burned and bore marks of violence.

Witnesses said Mohammed Abu Khdair was abducted near his father's shop in Shufat.

A relative said he saw two men approach the boy and ask for directions before bundling him into a car.

"While they were speaking to him, a car approached in which there was a third man," Saeed Abu Khudair told the Reuters news agency. "Two of them carried him. He was small so he couldn't resist.

"Some men who were nearby saw what happened. They chased after the kidnappers' car, but they couldn't catch it."

Mr Aharonovitch said: "Everything is being examined. There are many possibilities. There is a criminal possibility as well as a political one. I am telling everyone, let us wait patiently."

The killing comes a day after funerals were held in the West Bank for the three Jewish seminary students whose bodies were found near the city of Hebron on Monday, two-and-a-half weeks after they were abducted.

Mr Netanyahu has vowed to strike at Hamas, the group he holds responsible for their deaths.

Hamas has denied any involvement.

My "defence" of Israel only ever amounted to pointing out that every other state in the Middle East is no better.

I don't think it did at all SD. I think it's regularly gone beyond that.

And as I've said before, it needs to hold itself to a higher standard and so do its enablers.

I don't think it did at all SD. I think it's regularly gone beyond that.

And as I've said before, it needs to hold itself to a higher standard and so do its enablers.

I have probably said that I consider stealing of land to be a lesser crime than executing people for being gay or a rape victim or an adulterer. You could consider that a relative defence of Israel, if you were so inclined.

I agree that Israel needs to set a better example. That doesn't mean I am going to be singling it out when it is just one viper in a whole poisonous nest of them.

I have probably said that I consider stealing of land to be a lesser crime than executing people for being gay or a rape victim or an adulterer. You could consider that a relative defence of Israel, if you were so inclined.

I agree that Israel needs to set a better example. That doesn't mean I am going to be singling it out when it is just one viper in a whole poisonous nest of them.

It's not a viper though, is it? It's a mongoose in this example. That's the issue, the massive power disparity.

• 2 weeks later...

So since the onslaught by Israeli forces in just over a week, we've had:

- 1250+ houses and buildings bombed and destroyed by the Israeli forces.

- 1400 Palestinian civilians injured

- 200+ Palestinians killed.

-- of which 80% have been civilians

-- and over 20% have been Children

- Hospitals and schools bombed

Watching the CNN coverage on Thursday their reporter in Tel Aviv unashamedly decided to inform the viewers "The death toll in Israel continues to rise".  Last count 1 Israeli has died during this period, as far as I'm aware.

The editorilised agenda ridden coverage has been shockingly disgraceful and dangerous from the major media outlets, including the BBC and Sky News.

Sad days indeed.

• Upvote 7

The vast majority of people I would say are on the side of the Palestinians yet the people we elected couldn't not be more up is isreals arse if they were fired up there by a BUK missile launcher. Its totally fucked up, isreal spoke of a cease fire then that plane was shot down and bang quick whilst people are looking the other way lets wipe out a people. Our media are fucking outrageous and complicit to so much misery. Everybody seems totally fucking terrified of isreal.

• Upvote 1

The vast majority of people I would say are on the side of the Palestinians yet the people we elected couldn't not be more up is isreals arse if they were fired up there by a BUK missile launcher. Its totally fucked up, isreal spoke of a cease fire then that plane was shot down and bang quick whilst people are looking the other way lets wipe out a people. Our media are fucking outrageous and complicit to so much misery. Everybody seems totally fucking terrified of isreal.

In Israel's defense, the cease fire finished and about 15 minutes later they started shelling Gaza.

Israel shelled 4 children playing football on a beach. They've been using experimental, poisonous gas on Gaza, too.

It's an extermination.