You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jose Mourinho banned and fined over 'handcuffs' gesture

JohnnyH

BBC Sport - Football - Jose Mourinho banned and fined over 'handcuffs' gesture

Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho has received a three-game touchline ban and been fined 40,000 euros (£35,000) after strongly criticising officials.

Mourinho made a "handcuffs" gesture after seeing Inter's Walter Samuel and Ivan Cordoba sent off and Samuel Eto'o booked against Sampdoria.

The gesture has been interpreted as a way of suggesting his side have been victimised by referees in Serie A.

Mourinho had also insulted the officials at half-time in the 0-0 draw.

Samuel and Cordoba were both dismissed in the first half of the match, while Eto'o was booked for allegedly diving.

When Eto'o received the yellow card, Mourinho burst out laughing and made the "handcuffs" gesture in front of photographers and TV cameras.

Mourinho - who has had two one-game bans already this season after being sent off - did not speak to the media after the match against Sampdoria.

Serie A officials said the punishment came after Mourinho had "repeatedly challenged the officials, especially by mimicking handcuffs with his wrists and arms crossed, and faced the crowds and television cameras... Also, he insulted the referee and his assistants in the tunnel and also repeatedly insulted officials."

Each time there are over-the-top gestures or comments it creates exasperation

Reports in Italy suggested referees were prepared to go on strike if Mourinho was not given a severe punishment.

"Each time there are over-the-top gestures or comments it creates exasperation," Italian Football Association president Giancarlo Abete told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport's website.

"This is a delicate phase of the season, we need respect for everyone else because over-excited football is no good."

Defenders Samuel and Cordoba received one-game bans for their dismissals but their Inter team-mates Esteban Cambiasso and Sulley Muntari were given two-match bans for off-the-field incidents in the fiery encounter.

Cambiasso was punished for trying to punch an opposition player in the tunnel at half-time, while Muntari swore at the fourth official.

Mourinho, who will face former club Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday, will be consigned to the stands for the Serie A matches against Udinese, Genoa and Catania.

Inter are five points clear of Roma at the top of the league.

Mourinho has had numerous previous brushes with officials, notably after Chelsea's 2-1 Champions League defeat by Barcelona in 2005 when he accused referees Anders Frisk of talking to Barca coach Frank Rijkaard in his dressing-room at half-time.

______

Regardless of whether or not Rafa should be sacked, I really do not want this man as our manager. He is the most self serving ignorant piece of shite out there. For me, he is as bad as Ferguson with how he acts.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

Classy fella

Nearly as classy as lying about the medical professionals who looked after Cech after fracturing his skull

Special One?

More like a prize cunt

BBC Sport - Football - Jose Mourinho banned and fined over 'handcuffs' gesture

Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho has received a three-game touchline ban and been fined 40,000 euros (£35,000) after strongly criticising officials.

Mourinho made a "handcuffs" gesture after seeing Inter's Walter Samuel and Ivan Cordoba sent off and Samuel Eto'o booked against Sampdoria.

The gesture has been interpreted as a way of suggesting his side have been victimised by referees in Serie A.

Mourinho had also insulted the officials at half-time in the 0-0 draw.

Samuel and Cordoba were both dismissed in the first half of the match, while Eto'o was booked for allegedly diving.

When Eto'o received the yellow card, Mourinho burst out laughing and made the "handcuffs" gesture in front of photographers and TV cameras.

Mourinho - who has had two one-game bans already this season after being sent off - did not speak to the media after the match against Sampdoria.

Serie A officials said the punishment came after Mourinho had "repeatedly challenged the officials, especially by mimicking handcuffs with his wrists and arms crossed, and faced the crowds and television cameras... Also, he insulted the referee and his assistants in the tunnel and also repeatedly insulted officials."

Each time there are over-the-top gestures or comments it creates exasperation

Reports in Italy suggested referees were prepared to go on strike if Mourinho was not given a severe punishment.

"Each time there are over-the-top gestures or comments it creates exasperation," Italian Football Association president Giancarlo Abete told Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport's website.

"This is a delicate phase of the season, we need respect for everyone else because over-excited football is no good."

Defenders Samuel and Cordoba received one-game bans for their dismissals but their Inter team-mates Esteban Cambiasso and Sulley Muntari were given two-match bans for off-the-field incidents in the fiery encounter.

Cambiasso was punished for trying to punch an opposition player in the tunnel at half-time, while Muntari swore at the fourth official.

Mourinho, who will face former club Chelsea in the Champions League on Tuesday, will be consigned to the stands for the Serie A matches against Udinese, Genoa and Catania.

Inter are five points clear of Roma at the top of the league.

Mourinho has had numerous previous brushes with officials, notably after Chelsea's 2-1 Champions League defeat by Barcelona in 2005 when he accused referees Anders Frisk of talking to Barca coach Frank Rijkaard in his dressing-room at half-time.

______

Regardless of whether or not Rafa should be sacked, I really do not want this man as our manager. He is the most self serving ignorant piece of shite out there. For me, he is as bad as Ferguson with how he acts.

The beginning of the end for him with Inter?

Classy fella

Not nearly as classy as lying about the medical professionals who looked after Cech after fracturing his skull

I can't fucking abide him. He is everything that is wrong with football and I'd rather be relegated to the Beazers Homes League then have that twat as our manager.

Guest ShoePiss
Great character and a winner, if he was ours we'd worship him. But lets not let that get in the way of our phoney moral outrage.

Just speak for yourself.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Great character and a winner, if he was ours we'd worship him. But lets not let that get in the way of our phoney moral outrage.

You might

I wouldn't

Great character? How, by blaming everything on someone else?

I hate the thought of him being our manager although I'm happy in the fact he wont do currently as we can't afford him and he's too much of a shitebag in terms of his ego to even attempt the challenge of us.

Hard to rubbish his CV as some have done to Hiddink's

Some people rubbished Hiddinks CV because there was a hell of a lot of rubbish on it. In fact he pretty much failed at any club he spent decent time at barring PSV. Mourinho on the other hand has an excellant CV. He's still a total cunt though. Alex Ferguson also has an amazing CV, but I don't want him here either.

People moan about Rafa's style of play, yet want Mourinho? He's a cunt. A first class cunt and nothing better than what we already have. Also, he needs a load of money to win titles or the best squad in the league to do well.

Round and round we go. This is has been refuted many times but it goes in one ear and out there others, so what's the point.

As for his style of play; he might favour a more structured approach but his teams play football light years away from anything Benitez has ever inspired under us.

Guest ShoePiss
Fine my me. I take it you'll boycott any success that comes our way?

God forbid we actually win something these days. We're too busy being the most loyal, bestest fans in the world, stuck in the past with our principles and justifying mediocrity.

Why, when I ask you to speak for yourself instead of everyone on worshipping Mourinho do you ask if I'll boycott LFC success? Doesn't make sense...

I do have principles, I haven't justified mediocrity and wouldn't worship Mourihno if he was our manager regardless of any amount of success he brought...unless he didn't act like a twat while with us of course.

Jose Mourinho is a great man Manager and one of the very best around.

However, the style of football that his teams play are not the most pleasing on the eye, and I wouldn't be comfortable at all with a Liverpool Manager having close associations with a S*n Journalist (Rob Beasley).

Guest ShoePiss
Selective memory obviously. I can remember plenty of sporting, gracious comments, yes even about us. He can come across as obnoxious at times because he's a fighter and creates a siege mentality.

Agree with that and there's certainly merit to it, for me though there is a line that he crosses often and it doesn't sit well.

Round and round we go. This is has been refuted many times but it goes in one ear and out there others, so what's the point.

As for his style of play; he might favour a more structured approach but his teams play football light years away from anything Benitez has ever inspired under us.

Sorry but take this somewhere else like being Mourinhos number 1 fan at his fanzine?

Rafa has had a shit season right after one of his best ones, you coming on saying that he has not ever inspired anything shows how short-sighted, short-term memory fan you truly are.

Forget about that Champions League final, forget the FA cup, forget all those grand games that we had (including beating a certain Real Madrid), fucking forget all the good he has done for us and side with a cunt of manager that won titles with a team who has no soul, no history and no fucking loyal fans.

Yes, I would rather stick to my clubs "mediocre" history than allow that clown of manager dictate what happens at our club.

Rafa is many things, loyal is one of them, a cuntish clown he is not.

Have a word with yourself if you consider to be the part of the bestest fans in the world you ironic twat.

Selective memory obviously. I can remember plenty of sporting, gracious comments, yes even about us. He can come across as obnoxious at times because he's a fighter and creates a siege mentality.

Not really. Ball didn't cross the line, banged on about that for years. The number of altercations he's had with the Italian refs is ridiculous. Accusations labelled at the Barca backroom team and the ambulance team that treated Cech were both disgraceful and lacking so much class that it probably even made Ferguson wince, especially the ambulance one.

Yeah he's a fighter and yeah he's got a boss CV but his actions make him such an odious cunt that I could never warm to him.

But as I said, he's too scared of being deemed a failure that he'll only take the job here if he's given unlimited funds or has the best squad. His ego wont allow any less.