You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The AGM

Rashid

I love Moores as our Chairman, so this is very sad.

MOORES HINTS AT REDS EXIT

Monday 5th January 2004

Liverpool David Moores has hinted he could step down at the end of the season, while boss Gerard Houllier has won the backing of the club's board at their AGM.

Both men met a number of the club's shareholders at their annual AGM as they discussed ways of moving Liverpool forward.

Moores, who insisted he still "backed the values and objectives of the manager" also had to withstand a sustained verbal assault from the club's third-biggest shareholder, building magnate Steve Morgan, who does not hold a position on the board.

Moores has been the majority shareholder at Anfield for over ten years and admitted he would look at his position if things did not improve which would raise question marks over Houllier's future.

"The buck stops here. If it gets any worse I will have to look at my own position, but I hope it does not come to that," said Moores.

"This has been a sad night for me personally. People are not happy, I did not expect an easy ride. But what has been happening is not good enough for our club even if I still believe in Gerard Houllier."

Morgan hit at Moores claiming he was stopping him from investing money in the club and The Reds chairman has tried to ease the tension by holding a meeting with Morgan.

"The chairman has refused to talk to me. Money is available from me and others, but the chairman will not dilute his holding," said Morgan.

Moores responded by saying: "It is time to bury the hatchet, if you (Morgan) want a meeting, we will sit down and talk it over."This is no good for this club, we must bury the hatchet. If it means diluting my shares or even selling to another Roman Abramovich, I will have to do it."

A number of shareholders questioned the performance of the side this season, but Houllier backed his side to come good.

"It has been a difficult season and we have been under intense scrutiny," said Houllier.

"I share your frustrations, but fourth place in the Premiership is achievable. I remain confident in my squad but patience is a virtue - but we need time. All my injured players will be back in four weeks and then we will be a different proposition.

"I accept the demands of my job, I am always being reminded. But this is not about my future, it is about Liverpool's and my job is to make this club win consistently again.

"I accept some of our recruits have not delivered, those signed in 2002 have fallen short and have not shown what we bought them for and they know they are not producing.

"But the spirit is good, if we stick together we will come through together."

Moores has made a big mistake in saying this publicly. The media will hunt the club for the rest of the season until Moores or Houllier or even both are forced to go. Every poor performance, every poor result will mean this quote being resurrected.If they both leave the club will be in turmoil. Why didn't he speak to Morgan privately?

I think he has signed his own death warrant tonight.

I woke to this report on the beeb site this morning. I was surprised at how saddened I feel by the possibility of Moores stepping aside. It seems as though the failure of Houllier to produce will mean more than a change of manager as the momentum appears to be gathering for a complete regime change this close season.

I've lost touch with the movers and shakers since leaving Liverpool. Did anyone on here go to the AGM? Can anyone comment on Steve Morgan and his motives?

I dont believe we need a fairygodmother, the club, as a business, is reasonably well run with the emphasis still on being a football club. the money-men route, either via PLC or ego-massaging tycoon, would be a huge mistake IMHO.

"I accept some of our recruits have not delivered, those signed in 2002 have fallen short and have not shown what we bought them for and they know they are not producing"

Finally a bit of honesty which is refereshing. If only he could put that into practice.

There has been a fair bit of criticism of the board on here in recent months but I don't think anyone wants Moores to go. Think of the chairman of any other premier league club and tell me honestly that you'd swap Moores for them? Yes we asked for a bit of initiative from them whilst things on the pitch were not going well.

A board room power struggle is the LAST thing we need at the moment. I agree with Hermes (yeah I was shocked too) that this should not have been made public

Guest Phil C

"I agree with Hermes (yeah I was shocked too) that this should not have been made public"

also agree with this Mav , but having been on here approx 2 weeks ago and seen a post asking "should the chairman go" I think may be he though he needed to clarify his position and stance . I sure if he is being questioned on fanzine sites like TLW it's being mentioned in and around the ground .:idea:

Fan with a rags to riches tale Jan 6 2004

Liverpool Echo

STEVEN MORGAN'S is a real rags to riches story.

From being an unemployed Liverpool labourer, the Reds fanatic went on to head Redrow, one of the largest house builders in the country.

With a fortune of £362m, sportsmad Morgan was 86th in last year's Sunday Times list of Britain's richest people.

The third largest shareholder at Liverpool FC, he is understood to feel aggrieved that he has long been denied a seat on the Liverpool board. Morgan has vented his frustration at the Reds' lack of success on the pitch at previous AGMs - but never more so than last night.

Morgan has made the majority of his fortune - an estimated £240m - through share sales not associated om-with the club.

It is a long way from Redrow's humble beginnings.

Garston-born Morgan, a former St Francis of Assissi School pupil, used a £5,000 loan from his father to set up the firm. Working out of a bungalow in Rhyl, it initially focused on civil engineering jobs, before moving into building contracts.

Crucially, Redrow sold its interests in the south east and avoided the property crash of the late 1980s.

Morgan, 51, left the Redrow board in 2000, a year in which he made £115m in share sales. According to the company's website, he retains a stake of just under 10 per cent, with the firm currently worth around £530m.

Morgan was estimated to have earned £2.7m last year, largely through dividends and director's fees. He is also a non-executive director at the De Vere Group hotel chain, but gave his fees of £30,000 to charity.

It's hardly surprising that all the criticism aimed at the manager and the club over the last couple of months has clearly wounded the Chairman.And crocodile tears aren't going to help much.

As for Morgan,he sounds like someone with a personal axe to grind who enjoys grinding it in public.

Be careful what you wish for,it may come true.