You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

JMARKH

So you think there was 15-20m available and Benitez chose not to spend it. it's clear to me he brought Voronin back and kept him as a senior striker as he didnt think he could get another one.

I stand by the assertion that the Americans needed the books balanced, it coincided with the banks asking for money back. Benitez won't say anything because Purslow is at every press conference lurking as the enforcer of a brutal regime.

Let's see if they stump up in January or in the summer, we'll see soon enough but the Keane money definitely disappeared and we've had to balance books since then.

Where did I say he had 15-20m available?

My point is that, because we did OK with just Torres after February'09, Rafa might have thought we will be OK again. This is why he chose to spend the £17m on a right back when he could have spent this on a striker instead.

I'm not saying Rafa is happy with just Torres or that he had money but the fact that he spent a large portion of the money on a right back tells me that he was prepared to gamble on the fitness of Torres. And so far, it is back firing.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people keep saying that we sold Bellamy to afford Torres?

WE BOUGHT RYAN BABEL THE SAME FUCKING SUMMER FOR £11.5 WASTED MILLIONS!!! We keep Bellamy, fuck off Babel's purchase, and we're 100,000 times better off.

Nobody on here had that opinion at the time though did they? There was no clamour to keep Bellamy that I can remember and Babel was hailed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Babel hasn't worked out but I'd blame Babel more than Benitez for that. He has all the technical and physical skills but no application or guts.

Nobody on here had that opinion at the time though did they? There was no clamour to keep Bellamy that I can remember and Babel was hailed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Babel hasn't worked out but I'd blame Babel more than Benitez for that. He has all the technical and physical skills but no application or guts.

If I remember correctly, lots of posters on here was more than sceptic of this signing, mostly because Wenger had taken a very hard look and decided he didn't have what it takes to get to the top.

I'll take your word for it, but I thought there was a lot of people wanking themselves silly after that U-21 tourney - but my memory is slipping in my old age!

I definitely don't remember a campaign to keep Bellamy though

I agree on both points. There was lots of posters also, that thought he was the new Henry etc. Can't remember anything regarding Bellamy leaving, one way or another, so I'll take your word on that one.

I think there are two ways of looking at the purchases Benitez has made.

1) Financially

Rafael Benítez bought 55 players for £228,976,000

Rafael Benítez sold 64 players for £145,100,000

ttp://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=0&submit1=Submit

This is a net spending of £83,876,000. In six season's (because you should include this summer when you judge the team) that is just below £14,000,000 per season - Not a massive amount, compared to our rivals or even the likes of Spurs, Sunderland etc who have probably spent just as much.

Now the poor signings have cost us little money financially with only Keane and Morientes being significant losses. The good signings have appreciated in value, some vastly.

I suspecty if Benitez sold Torres, Mascherano, Insua, Reina, Aquilani, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Babel, Kuyt, Riera, Lucas etc we'd get more than the net 80 million that he's spent on them.

Therefore I'd say financially he's done well, on the budget he's had, the value of the team has appreciated vastly.

2) Non-financial

Regardless of how much he's spent, to have a squad including Degen, Voronin, Babel, Lucas, Ngog, Dossena, El Zhar, Ayala, Kyrgiakos is poor.

The other poor signings in the past, I don't have a problem with. On his budget he had to take some risks and some have paid off, as we have seen with Reina, Agger, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Insua and Benayoun - all good signing for low fees. Kromkamp, Josemi et al. all left quickly and for little loss - Benitez cut his losses quickly.

My problem is the poor players who are still at the club, as mentioned above. After five years and this summer, her should really have a better squad. You don't need millions and million to get in decent squad players. I am disappointed that Benitez hasn't been cutting his losses on Degen, Babel, Dossena etc... they are cluttering up the squad and offering very little.

He'd argue that he couldn't sell them as he wasn't guaranteed the money, but then we have seen top squad singing leave ahead of the players I have mentioned in Finnan, Sissoko, Crouch, Riise and Hyypia.

In summary, I think financially Benitez has been very successful in the market. But it is not all about numbers, our club exists to win trophies and for that we need quality and depth and I think he's kept too many poor players and let too many good ones leave. On that front, I think he's been fairly poor the last couple of season's.

I think there are two ways of looking at the purchases Benitez has made.

1) Financially

ttp://www.lfchistory.net/stats_transfers_by_manager.asp?list=Get&manager_id=20&InOut=0&submit1=Submit

This is a net spending of £83,876,000. In six season's (because you should include this summer when you judge the team) that is just below £14,000,000 per season - Not a massive amount, compared to our rivals or even the likes of Spurs, Sunderland etc who have probably spent just as much.

Now the poor signings have cost us little money financially with only Keane and Morientes being significant losses. The good signings have appreciated in value, some vastly.

I suspecty if Benitez sold Torres, Mascherano, Insua, Reina, Aquilani, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Babel, Kuyt, Riera, Lucas etc we'd get more than the net 80 million that he's spent on them.

Therefore I'd say financially he's done well, on the budget he's had, the value of the team has appreciated vastly.

2) Non-financial

Regardless of how much he's spent, to have a squad including Degen, Voronin, Babel, Lucas, Ngog, Dossena, El Zhar, Ayala, Kyrgiakos is poor.

The other poor signings in the past, I don't have a problem with. On his budget he had to take some risks and some have paid off, as we have seen with Reina, Agger, Arbeloa, Skrtel, Insua and Benayoun - all good signing for low fees. Kromkamp, Josemi et al. all left quickly and for little loss - Benitez cut his losses quickly.

My problem is the poor players who are still at the club, as mentioned above. After five years and this summer, her should really have a better squad. You don't need millions and million to get in decent squad players. I am disappointed that Benitez hasn't been cutting his losses on Degen, Babel, Dossena etc... they are cluttering up the squad and offering very little.

He'd argue that he couldn't sell them as he wasn't guaranteed the money, but then we have seen top squad singing leave ahead of the players I have mentioned in Finnan, Sissoko, Crouch, Riise and Hyypia.

In summary, I think financially Benitez has been very successful in the market. But it is not all about numbers, our club exists to win trophies and for that we need quality and depth and I think he's kept too many poor players and let too many good ones leave. On that front, I think he's been fairly poor the last couple of season's.

My net spend brings all the boys to the yard

and they're like, it's smaller than yours

Damn right, it's smaller than yours

We need some more money, for us to win.....Shit

So buying a right back for £17M who happens to struggle with injuries a lot, an injured midfielder for £17M who happens to struggle with injuries a lot and who have not played a second in the league yet come November and a greek pirate is the best anyone could have come up with if they got £40M to spend, is that what you are telling me?

Well I'm glad he's arrived as he's been superb so far this season.

He can be our right back for years and years - that is shrewd investment in my opinion.

Benitez has looked at the long-term in Aquilani and I don't have a problem with that either.

I have a gut feeling that Real will sack their manager before christmas and come after Rafa.

Is that a gut feeling or wishful thinking...

I am torn between wanting him to go and wanting him to somehow prove that he has the answers.

Unfortunately I have not seen enough over the past three seasons to justify the hope which was based on his first two seasons.

I dont think that Real will want him / or he would want to go there...

Real's manager could get sacked on Wednesday and Perez come and buy out Benitez's contract, doubtless people on here will be celebrating

Did you celebrate when Rafa got his 5 year contract?

Listen, some people think Rafa has reached the end at LFC. You just don't agree with that. Like it happens on a forum.

I didn't celebrate when we sacked Houllier even though I wanted it and knew it was inevitable.

Did you celebrate when Rafa got his 5 year contract?

Listen, some people think Rafa has reached the end at LFC. You just don't agree with that. Like it happens on a forum.

I didn't celebrate when we sacked Houllier even though I wanted it and knew it was inevitable.

I agree - I still regret that LFC had to sack Houllier. I dont argue with the logic of it though. I was very happy with the decision in May 2005.

What kills me is that with every passing season 2005 looks more and more like a fluke more akin to Porto winning the Champions league than what you would expect of a club with our history and stature in the game.:(

So buying a right back for £17M who happens to struggle with injuries a lot, an injured midfielder for £17M who happens to struggle with injuries a lot and who have not played a second in the league yet come November and a greek pirate is the best anyone could have come up with if they got £40M to spend, is that what you are telling me?

I'm sure if he was aware at the beginning of the window that he would not be allowed to spend anything on top of money recouped through sales, he would have spread his outlay differently. To be made aware of this after closing the deal for Aquilani tied his hands somewhat. I don't think this excuses him for the state of the squad overall, but it seems an unfair stick to beat him with.