You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

THE CUPS

Dave D

Im hoping this season we have a real go at winning at least one of the domestic cups. The past few years we seem to have been happy to just throw them away, the league cup in particular.

Despite respectable league positions we've been pretty short of silverware recently and who can honestly say that come cup final day for either competition, that they dont feel a tinge of jealousy of the sides involved, watching it on the box and with the heavy media coverage.

A league cup win doesnt figure too high on most peoples view of a good season, but its one for the history books and we all love having its date printed on our LFC mugs. (or am I the only one who has one of them)

Tottenham seem a good example of success breeding success. They won it fairly recently and got to the final last year and seem to be gathering momentum. Winning any trophy instills a winning mentality, and a hunger for more, particularly in the younger players. Another perfect example being our "treble" season, it really put us back on the map and got the world paying attention to the men in red again.

The argument for resting players doesnt really stand up, last year we did this and the result was two morale draining defeats and Torres missed half our league games anyway. Id have much preferred to have had pictures of Torres with his hands on a trophy beamed around the world, league cup or not.

Winning anything brings with it prestige and associates the side with success and in a season where our place in the top 4 will come under close examination, I hope we have a real go at everthing that we can. I think this can be done without any harm to our League and European ambitions.

I just hope Rafa thinks so

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be good to have a run in the FA Cup just so long it doesnt get in the way of a title challenge. Trouble is, you just cant set out your stall anticipating this.

I'd only play fringe players in the LC so dont think we'll have more than a game or two tops if we went down this route.

All very laudable, but a quick glance at the squad depth should file the concept of a decent domestic cup run under 'fantasy', unless we get a string of easy ties or mancs/chavs/blueshite where we really seem to make the effort. The additional competition at the top of the prem means the cups will go even further down Rafa's priorities. Tottenham's victory was a lot like ours in 2001 - particularly welcome as we'd both won fuck all for a while.

I'd like to see the ressies and more fringe squad players given a good run at the league cup, knowing they're not going to get dropped when we draw a good side, but likewise they won't be bailed out by the A list pro's if they're under the cosh. Spearing would make a decent skipper for that side.

Oh, and I don't particularly want us to go to Wembley until the CL cup final next year.

We have had easy ties the pass few years and fucking blown it. Our players treat it with disdain.

That's true I suppose. We didn't have the hardest cup runs in 2000-1, if I recall, difference was that the players seemed up for it. There's some blame with the fans as well. We sold out at home in the 1st UEFA round against some obscure side, doubt we'd get much over 25k for that now.

Maybe if we can get past the first two rounds we'll be in with a chance.

Fuck the league cup though, so worthless.

To be honest mate I know where your coming from but I would love us to win the league cup without a shadow of a doubt. Football is all about lifting trophies at Wembley or wherever. Even though we have much more priorities, trophy cabinets dont only consist of league and European Cups. Beggars cant be choosers in my opinion.

Seeing the captain lifting a trophy whatever or wherever it is, is the occasion where you feel proud to say you have taken your son or daughter and seen the red men lift their first cup for your kids. I think everyone can remember when they first went to Wembley, Cardiff or wherever with their arl fellas and knew whatever the cup was, it is a fucking great feeling isnt it.

Im glad to hear others thinking the same. We need a trophy, not just us fans but the team needs it to help knit them together. We seem a bit disjointed if thats the right word. They kind of know they are a very good team but unless they put a trophy in the cabinet they'll be remebered as the "nearly" team

I've often wondered whether the people who dismiss the League Cup or the FA Cup have actually seen us win it.

There's no doubt the European Cup is a more prestigious trophy but I'd love to see us win the League Cup or the FA Cup again.

Winning the league cup against the mancs in Cardiff in 2003 was fantastic.

it's a pipedream imo unless we are lucky with the draw or the squad step up.

There are two trophies to go for nowadays, it is all very noble saying we exist to win trophies but there are two now and the other two are sacrificed. The domestic cups are no real sign of progress but are obviously a massive bonus and a great day out and if you get there you want to win it obviously.

it's a pipedream imo unless we are lucky with the draw or the squad step up.

There are two trophies to go for nowadays, it is all very noble saying we exist to win trophies but there are two now and the other two are sacrificed. The domestic cups are no real sign of progress but are obviously a massive bonus and a great day out and if you get there you want to win it obviously.

If winning the league or the champions league is now the only benchmark for success then we could be in trouble