You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Conflict in Afghanistan

Section_31

Afghanistan is fine, they just need to leave it alone and let it's own people determine its own fate for the next 100 years. 

The Taliban need to be respected as a legitimate government. 

The people will, over time, accept it or will not. 

If the west wants to change perceptions of the Afghan people then they should expect and welcome refugees fleeing the country. 

We can't judge the Taliban's style of governance.  Who the fuck are we to tell them how they should live and how to treat their women?  We've not long ourselves cleaned up our act, and even now it's not exactly brilliant for women. 

• Downvote 2

23 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Afghanistan is fine, they just need to leave it alone and let it's own people determine its own fate for the next 100 years. 

If the west wants to change perceptions of the Afghan people then they should expect and welcome refugees fleeing the country. 

We can't judge the Taliban's style of governance.  Who the fuck are we to tell them how they should live and how to treat their women?  We've not long ourselves cleaned up our act, and even now it's not exactly brilliant for women. 

Bellend.

On 03/09/2021 at 12:55, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Awful shout this mate. 

That documentary on I player by that tory is really good.

It looks at the previous occupations by the British and the Russians.

In  a hugely ironic twist when the Russians went in,one of the 1st things they did was improve the rights of women,and the American's armed the opposition  

6 hours ago, General Dryness said:

Just been watching that 9/11 Turning Point on Netflix.

Fucking hell, what a shit show the US operation in Afghanistan was from day fucking one. 

I can't believe you watched the same thing and came to a different conclusion. 

If you have no long term aspiration for Afghanistan then you need to leave it and treat it like any other country, regardless of who is in charge.  The Taliban were controlling 90% of that country until we lent some mountainfolk our B52's. That's not right, that's meddling in the natural order of things.

In the 70s the Americas gave money to a warlord who was reknowned for throwing acid in girls faces. 

Just last week johnson was crowing about how much the invasion had improved the rights of women.

Nothing to do with the women of Afghanistan itself obviously. 

You would find a better example of realpolitik than this.

24 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

In the 70s the Americas gave money to a warlord who was reknowned for throwing acid in girls faces. 

Just last week johnson was crowing about how much the invasion had improved the rights of women.

Nothing to do with the women of Afghanistan itself obviously. 

You would find a better example of realpolitik than this.

Would a woman in Afghanistan be safer in the 70’s, 80’s 90’s the last 20 years or now? 

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Would a woman in Afghanistan be safer in the 70’s, 80’s 90’s the last 20 years or now? 

That's not really the point.

Using the rights of women as some sort of justification for the invasion is a complete falsehood.

As I mentioned before, when the Russians invaded, one of the 1st things they did was give women greater freedom.

The americans responded by arming the opposition. 

15 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Using the rights of women as some sort of justification for the invasion is a complete falsehood.

As I mentioned before, when the Russians invaded, one of the 1st things they did was give women greater freedom.

No one is doing that.  I’m sure the Americans only ever had revenge on their minds. But, for the last 20 yrs women have had it better than they had for years. Now, they are fucked (probably from when they are about 12).  So, Russian invaders good, American invaders bad.  

I wish i could work out who you are, it’s bugging me. 

Edit: answer the question though. 

13 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Did they really? Because, as far as I remember, they invaded by toppling an already existing Communist pro-Soviet government which itself followed the previous leftist government which came after years of a relatively pro-Western government.

10 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Did they really? Because, as far as I remember, they invaded by toppling an already existing Communist pro-Soviet government which itself followed the previous leftist government which came after years of a relatively pro-Western government.

Well according to rory Stewart who did a documentary on Afghanistan and seems to be quite knowledgeable on the subject,they did.

But I stand to be corrected.

13 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

No one is doing that.  I’m sure the Americans only ever had revenge on their minds. But, for the last 20 yrs women have had it better than they had for years. Now, they are fucked (probably from when they are about 12).  So, Russian invaders good, American invaders bad.  

I wish i could work out who you are, it’s bugging me. 

Edit: answer the question though. 

Did you know during the last 20 years children have been used as sex slaves by the gmnt.

It's quite a common practice apparently (tea boys that are called)

Nothing to do with women off course but still.not great is it?

I never said that.

I said that the argument about women having greater rights being used as some sort of justification for the invasion is massively flawed.

55 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Did you know during the last 20 years children have been used as sex slaves by the gmnt.

It's quite a common practice apparently (tea boys that are called)

Nothing to do with women off course but still.not great is it?

I never said that.

I said that the argument about women having greater rights being used as some sort of justification for the invasion is massively flawed.

Yes, I’ve commented on it in the past.

Some of the religious and traditional practices are abhorrent.  Do you think they’ll have more of a chance of stopping under a religious theocracy?    

Soft bigotry of low expectations.  

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, I’ve commented on it in the past.

Some of the religious and traditional practices are abhorrent.  Do you think they’ll have more of a chance of stopping under a religious theocracy?    

Soft bigotry of low expectations.  

I dont know what the answers are.

It's obviously a very traditional country especially in the countryside. 

Military intervention clearly doesnt work.

As abhorrent as the taliban are they clearly have a great degree of support.

I genuinely think the only possible chance of success would be to try to work with the more 'moderate' elements..which of course is a relative term.

From what I've learnt over the past few weeks is the Taliban very greatly,they are not one homogeneous entity.

In some areas they still allow girls to go to school..in others they are a lot more strict.

The truly astonishing part is 3 super powers tried to invade the country, and they all failed

3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

So the Americans have admitted they killed a load of innocent civilians when they drone bombed a family the other week. Why do the likes of the US, Israel etc get away with killing innocent people yet don’t get labelled as terrorists? 

Probably something about intent. Also, who will label them, Russia, China, Iran and UK?

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...