You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

iPod help needed

Rico1304

I've recently changed laptops and need some help copying the music etc from my iPod back onto iTunes. My old laptop is effed so I can't do it the way described on iTunes help.

Please bear in mind I'm a bit rubbish so this may get very frustrating for you.

Cheers.

There is software available to you if you google search 'ipod liberator' but seems there's nothing free for Windows-based systems.

If you've got a Mac then download 'senuti' which I've got and works lovely!

By the way is your laptop so effed that you can get to 'program files/itunes/itunes library'?

• 4 months later...

Hope somebody can help. I have a 3rd gen 20Gb Ipod (the one with the dock connector).

7828361058313561.JPG?0.21271248445049418

It both syncs and charges up via my PC using Firewire, yet I can use a standard USB cable for sync only. The PC is pretty old spec and is about to be flogged on ebay as seperates.

I would like to use my new laptop to do both charge and sync, but obviously don't have a Firewire port fitted. I have tried to find info on the net but too many forums have that textspeak bullshit so the important stuff just gets lost.

Is there any way to resolve this without forking out for a new Ipod?

Any help much appreciated.

It's probably a power issue.

Have you tried different ports on your laptop, as some are underpowered if they are extensions from an internal port on the motherboard? If I plug my iPod into a usb hub, it will transfer stuff, but won't charge. Unplug the hub and connect the iPod direct, and voila, charge and transfer together.

And, to follow on from the advice above, Ephpod is also a better bet than iTunes. And it's free. Doesn't solve the charge problem, mind.

No. The internet bumpf states this iPod version was designed to charge through the dock connector using FireWire. The iPod also syncs in this way. I've had no trouble with iTunes (thus far!).

My issue is that I also have the USB cable that connects my iPod to my PC or laptop, both of which recognise the iPod. However, USB only allows the iPod to sync, but does not charge it.

I am aware of all this already.

What I want to know is whether I can sync AND charge the iPod via USB, since my laptop lacks FireWire. If not, then I would basically need to replace my iPod as I will soon have no way of charging it (it came with a mains charger aswell, yet the literature states that this iPod cannot be charges by this method. Pointless!).

Having shelled out £430 for a laptop, I'd rather not pay £150+ for a new iPod also.

• 2 weeks later...
I just used that Sharepod software successfully by the way. Nice bit of kit really.

I am trying to switch my ipod to a new PC.

I have managed to use this Sharepod software to get the music onto my new PC (in drive D).

Any help as to what i need to do now, please.

Many thanks.

I am trying to switch my ipod to a new PC.

I have managed to use this Sharepod software to get the music onto my new PC (in drive D).

Any help as to what i need to do now, please.

Many thanks.

If you have gotten all the music off it, just get iTunes to delete the content on the iPod, from your new computer, and reimport the music. By far the easiest way.

If you have gotten all the music off it, just get iTunes to delete the content on the iPod, from your new computer, and reimport the music. By far the easiest way.

Thanks.

Bit worried that i'll screw it up & i am going away tomorrow, so need the ipod!

How do i "reimport" please?

in iTunes, File -> Add to library, and then choose the top folder that contain all the music you copied back off the iPod. This will add the music to iTunes, then just sync it from iTunes to the newly restored iPod and off you go.

in iTunes, File -> Add to library, and then choose the top folder that contain all the music you copied back off the iPod. This will add the music to iTunes, then just sync it from iTunes to the newly restored iPod and off you go.

Thanks again.

I managed to work a piece of computer equipment by myself which is a tribute to your help & Steve Jobs making it idiot-proof!

Nice one! You can also just drag folders into itunes from Explorer or Finder. I know that piece of info is late, but I tried!

Also I think, and I stand corrected if not, if you just move your music folders from D: into the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\*user*\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music

then itunes will pick them up next time it starts.