You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mad Men

Scott_M

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I've not watched Mad Men, but better than...?

- Boardwalk Empire

- Game of Thrones

- Narcos

- Battlestar Galactica

- Gomorrah

- Mr Robot

- Breaking Bad

- Better Call Saul

- Dexter 

I haven’t seen all of those (Battlestar Galactica and Mr Robot) but, in my opinion, yes. 

Some excellent shows on your list though. For me; Boardwalk Empire and Better Call Saul are probably in the same ballpark at Madmen.

Breaking Bad and Narcos are a notch below. Game of Thrones probably fits here as well, although it not usually my kind of thing.

Gomorrah and Dexter were very enjoyable, but they wouldn’t get a place at the very top table for me. 

13 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

I haven’t seen all of those (Battlestar Galactica and Mr Robot) but, in my opinion, yes. 

Some excellent shows on your list though. For me; Boardwalk Empire and Better Call Saul are probably in the same ballpark at Madmen.

Breaking Bad and Narcos are a notch below. Game of Thrones probably fits here as well, although it not usually my kind of thing.

Gomorrah and Dexter were very enjoyable, but they wouldn’t get a place at the very top table for me. 

We're always influenced by which ones we have seen most recently, but I'd say Gomorrah belongs at the top table, as does GOT.  

I think GOT ending left a bad taste in everyone's mouths but that's almost always the case with much-loved series' endings. 

I will put Mad Men on my list for this autumn, along with Sons of Anarchy. 

• Upvote 1

On 21/08/2023 at 18:48, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We're always influenced by which ones we have seen most recently, but I'd say Gomorrah belongs at the top table, as does GOT.  

I think GOT ending left a bad taste in everyone's mouths but that's almost always the case with much-loved series' endings. 

I will put Mad Men on my list for this autumn, along with Sons of Anarchy. 

GOT didn’t leave a bad taste due to it ending. It left a bad taste as it became nonsensical with terrible writing, pacing and storylines being rushed. It was proper top tier tv up until the last season and a half (although the warning signs were there earlier).

in terms of tv shows I’d have mad men in my top 5. I’ve seen all in your list apart from mr robot and gammorah but they will be watched at some point. Great to see boardwalk empire being mentioned it’s superb but criminally underrated same with BSG.

I couldn’t get past season 2 of SOA but others rated it.

• Upvote 1

By all accounts I should have loved the shield but I couldn’t get into it. Should try again as it may have been a weird phase that and the missus just not liking it. 

20 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

My top three is still unchanged: Sopranos, The Wire and The Shield. Mad Men is in that next tier down for me.

Can’t remember where I got to though.

2 hours ago, JagSquared said:

GOT didn’t leave a bad taste due to it ending. It left a bad taste as it became nonsensical with terrible writing, pacing and storylines being rushed. It was proper top tier tv up until the last season and a half (although the warning signs were there earlier).

in terms of tv shows I’d have mad men in my top 5. I’ve seen all in your list apart from mr robot and gammorah but they will be watched at some point. Great to see boardwalk empire being mentioned it’s superb but criminally underrated same with BSG.

I couldn’t get past season 2 of SOA but others rated it.

watch gomorrah

its outstanding

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Mad Men is compelling in a completely different way to some of the other series listed. Can't wait to watch it all again at some point.

Also, should I bother with the last season of Gomorrah? Is it as awful as people say?

its not that bad...but compared to the previous seasons,its a bit of a let down.

some great characters in it.

• Upvote 1

Cutler: You know, Ted and I, whenever we would hear that your agency was involved, we'd always be so intimidated.  What's that man up to? Such a cloud of mystery. Now that I've been backstage I'm deeply unimpressed, Don. You're just a bully and a drunk. A football player in a suit. The most eloquent I've ever heard you was when you were blubbering like a little girl about your impoverished childhood

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/09/2023 at 10:15, Mudface said:

Amazon Prime have it.

13 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

UKTV Play.

Thanks both. We’ve got Amazon prime so I’ve been back on it and up to episode 4 now. Forgot how good it was - defo in my top 10 I reckon

• Upvote 1