You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hahaha come on Bob, how do work that one out? They beat us, and then we gave them a thumping. Bit harsh on them to say we owe them another one!

I'll take a win of any kind, and even a draw wouldn't disappoint me too much as providing we win our home games we should go through.

Assuming Torres and Gerrard are fit to start, I'd like to see this line up;

Reina

Arbeloa

Aurelio

Carra

Agger

Mascherano

Alonso

Babel

Gerrard

Riera

Torres

I'd bring Keane on for Torres after an hour, and if Gerrard needs to come off then I'd bring Dirk or Yossi on for him.

I like that team, with Steven playing behind Torres a la last seasons run in.

PS didn't Ben Arfa sign this summer??

Well everyone else has said it :whatever:

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Id go with this;

----------------------------Reina-------------------------------

-Arbeloa---------Carragher----------Skrtel--------------Dossena-

------------------Gerrard-------------Alonso--------------------

--------Babel--------------Keane---------------Riera-----------

----------------------------Torres------------------------------

No point in risking Mascherano really, as I think hes probably 50/50 for this game. I think Dirk will play but I would also rest him, keep them both fresh as they physically do so much work.

I doubt Rafa would do this, and I expect Babel to miss out for Dirk, got a sneaky feeling we might see Lucas instead of Xabi aswell.

yeah seem to remember some classy comments from gerets last year aswell.

i hope marseille have a good year as they remain france's biggest club in my opinion.

also mentions in the post that rafa is mulling over playing 3 at the back, could see the most tattoo'd defence ever then tonight.

think we'll gain a narrow win tonight.

ben arfa signed in the summer to replace nasri, apparently he never got on well with benzema, clash of ego's or whatever.

I watched both of Marseilles qualifying matches against Brann (0-1(a) and 2-1(h))

Their midfield looked decent with Ben Arfa and Cheyrou in command and Nyang and Kone up front were also quite impressive. However their defense looked far from convincing. Bad communication and no pace. Especially in Marseille they were really troubled by a weak Brann team who only lost due to two major goalkeeping errors. Their midfield never seemed bothered to track back when they lost possession. Will be plenty of space for us counter attacking if they continue the same way they’ve started the season. If we can maintain the standard we showed last weekend I can see us winning quite comfortably.

Btw – Ben Arfa signed from Lyon this summer as replacement for Nasri

GILLETT FOLLOWS REDS TO MARSEILLE

Posted 16/09/08 06:58

Email

Print

Save

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett will be at the Stade Velodrome to see if his club can start their European campaign in the same form that saw Manchester United cut down to size at the weekend.

Gillett was at Anfield for that one, too, and will take the opportunity to see whether that Barclays Premier League victory was a flash in the pan as Liverpool prepare to face Marseille in their opening Group D match.

And Liverpool's young Dutch winger Ryan Babel will be just as keen to see his own form maintained.

He scored at the same stadium last season in the 4-0 Liverpool victory in December that sealed their amazing survival in the competition when all had, at one stage, seemed lost.

And Babel's winner against Manchester United on Saturday saw him become Liverpool's second most prolific goal-scoring substitute when he netted his eighth goal after coming off the bench.

Babel said of the weekend triumph: "It is normal when you win games of that importance that you gain a lot of confidence. It means you look forward to your next game.

"We have started the season well, we have seen the squad improved with new signings and I believe we can look forward to winning many more games.

"Liverpool had not beaten Manchester United for a few years, so it was an important victory. We must build on that win.

"I have good memories too of scoring here last season and I am now only intent on working hard and allowing the coach to decide whether I play as a winger or a central striker. It is up to him and I will just be ready to play where he wants me to."

Liverpool are without Brazilian full-back Fabio Aurelio for the clash following a calf injury sustained against Manchester United on Saturday.

Javier Mascherano is expected to have recovered from a knee injury, while both Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres are considered by Benitez to be fit to start.

Lucas, who missed out on Saturday having not arrived back from international duty, is also in the squad while French striker David Ngog has been left out.

Marseille boss Erik Gerets was so impressed by Liverpool's display against Manchester United that he described them as "Duracell bunnies" and an example to the world for their performance.

Benitez needed to have the famous battery advert explained to him but once he cottoned on, the Spaniard said: "It is nice that we have made such an impact. As far as battery-powered, I suppose they are talking of Mascherano.

"But as far as making an impression, I am only concerned about the impact it has on us and our confidence. Too many people want to talk too early about titles and other things.

"We did well against Manchester United but we must be focused on the next game, and that is Marseille. We must not allow ourselves to get carried away."

Some nice comments from Gerets there, saying he hopes we win the league.

He sounds like a Red to me with those comments. That's the way it should be in Europe, in my view: mutual respect and enjoyment of the occasion. Despite the CL format, there are very few ties at European level that can justifiably be called rivalries; so there's no need for snidey comments in the press beforehand.

In terms of tonight, on the basis that winning your home matches and getting a point from your aways will see you almost certainly top your group, I'd be fine with a draw regardless of the fact that I think they're a very good side too. However, a win would be just the thing to keep the confidence going from Saturday and see us start to build up some much needed momentum for the season.

He sounds like a Red to me with those comments. That's the way it should be in Europe, in my view: mutual respect and enjoyment of the occasion. Despite the CL format, there are very few ties at European level that can justifiably be called rivalries; so there's no need for snidey comments in the press beforehand.

Roma and to a lesser extent Porto are the only European sides I have any ill feeling for.

Roma because of their shithouse fans, and Porto for the constant diving, playacting and time wasting.

Assuming Torres and Gerrard are fit to start, I'd like to see this line up;

Reina

Arbeloa

Aurelio

Carra

Agger

Mascherano

Alonso

Babel

Gerrard

Riera

Torres

I'd bring Keane on for Torres after an hour, and if Gerrard needs to come off then I'd bring Dirk or Yossi on for him.

I agree completely with what Dave just said.