You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think today's performance was a much needed slap in the face for the don't-sell-Xabi-he's-my-fave-player-and-I-know-better-than-the-Manager merchants, and hopefully people are wising up. As an example, just before half time Alonso took a corner, didn't beat the first man. Then just after half time, he came down to take a corner Main Stand side of the Kop and got quite an ovation - didn't beat first man, then we got another corner same side, this time the ovation was really muted, and for the record he didn't beat the first man again.

For me Xabi`s performance today has been the one we`ve seen too many times for the last couple of seasons. It became more evident today, as the whole team played well below par. But his passing is not as good as it can be. He gives the ball away way too much in dangerous areas. I think he lost it 4 or 5 times today, and one of those situations led to the goal.

It may be harsh singling Xabi out, as no one really played well, but he is the player that`s been discussed all summer. 3 matches are too soon to say whether he will pick up his performances, but after playing 5 halfes, he`s played one very good and 4 poor ones, so he needs to improve big time( like the rest of the team).

Im pretty sure had Lucas played like Alonso today he would have been slaughtered.

We always like to compare ourselves to the Mancs and if you remember last season they started out with 2 points in their three first matches before they went on a run where they won 4 or 5 matches in a row where they won 1-0 where they were really crap and were very lucky. If we continue to scrape wins, the confidence will come.Often wins like these are the ones that really boost the squad confidence and morale.

Alonso had his worst match ever as a Liverpool player. He was terrible, no doubt about that.

However, in his 3 previous matches he has been our best player. I did not see you give him any credit then, even not when he totally turned things around at Sunderland and was responsible for us getting 3 extremely important points.

Alonso had his worst match ever as a Liverpool player. He was terrible, no doubt about that.

However, in his 3 previous matches he has been our best player. I did not see you give him any credit then, even not when he totally turned things around at Sunderland and was responsible for us getting 3 extremely important points.

you weren't looking...

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/66782-man-match-game-2-sunderland-away-pl.html#post1294943

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/66721-sunderland-v-liverpool-8.html#post1294941

I'll think you'll find that Torres was responsible for the points by banging a terrific shot beyond the Sunderland keeper and into the back on the net; Alonso merely did what any professional footballer should be able to do - pass the ball accurately 10 yards to your team mate.

Just out of interest, which exactly were the three previous games you claim Alonso was our best player?

Well, those who did not have Alonso as one of our three best players against Sunderland proved that they either are lobotomized or have an agenda against Xabi. Kurt seems to be too intelligent to expose himself like that.

Thought we started brightly but after about 15 mins we went flat. The smoggies are a bunch of spoiling acting wannabe's with all their play acting, holding their heads everytime they went down knowing the ref would stop play for suspected head injuries.

And can I saw what an absolute tool riley was today? How he gave that second half decision against Torres I'll never know (well I will but we're supposed to 'respect' the refs now aren't we?).

Didnt surprise me that the smoggies scored with a breakaway nor that they then put all 11 men behind the ball. Glad Im not a smoggies fan if that's how they're going to play.

Well in Jay for the equaliser, I nearly lept into the Centenary Lower tier when that went in. We rightly rubbed the smoggies noses in it when Gerrard scored in the top left in the last minute.

OK we didnt play well but give me 36 more results like that and I wont complain!

Alonso's great when he's got time on the ball but when he's put under pressure like he was today he dithers on it. Today was the sort of game made for Mascherano not Alonso, Wednesday will be the same.

Xabi should get more space against Villa though and I'd expect him to play much better than he did today.

Mike Riley is a shit bag. He bottles out of every decision. Playing advantage before Carra's goal was bollocks. What advantage is there in being pressed backwards? The equaliser let Riley off the hook but that needed a massive deflection.

Fuckin hell, within the past two minutes Ive only found out;

a) Arsenal got beat

b) Were top of the league.

I know its only two games but it makes me feel extremely happy to see that.

on the plus side...maybe the sky bunch will stop talking about how rafa has to play gerrard in the centre....actually who am I kidding, just realised that they'll add todays dire performance to the case for playing him in the centre....he scored the winning goal after starting there, oh fuck.

Kuyt took the best corner all day.

Torres.

Nothing went right for Alonso in the second half.

I'm not convinced by Dossena, not least because he looks and runs like Stephen Carr.

We were gash, utter shite but we won.

Boro played decent stuff and should've had at least a point.

Riley is a pencil-necked fuck.

Repped.

I really could not be the only one to notice that.

Sorry to piss on your bonfires here but you must of been watching different game.

The pass for Midos goal came from a boro player fuck all to do with the dossman.

By the way I rate Alonso but for two seasons he has done fuck all.He is suppose to be the best passer of the ball we have.

So why is he total crap at corners and hardly scores from taken set pieces.His goal scoring record dosen't rate much either 14 goals in 164 games.

Edited by SCOUSE TAPAS