You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Been dealing with loads lately on Zoom and you forget how different they are to us despite the common language. The British have this subconscious 'are they taking the piss?' thing running in the background like an alternator all the time and the yanks seem to trigger it constantly, I do genuinely never know when they're taking the piss or not.

"Hi. I guess it's really hot over there right?"

"Yes, I bet it gets pretty hot there though eh?"

"Yeah. Yeah. YEAH it does, like recently I was like 'wow it's so hot'. That's cool. That's so funny."

"Super Excited"

/me feels the rage building even just typing that!!

42 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Had the same last night. Based in San Diego and without me even saying "I hear you guys have some sort of heatwave?" "Yeah but I doubt it's as hot as over there" "Hahaha well let me say we don't make the news" I should have said "fuck off anchorman" when two of his colleagues laughed as if they were laughing at me as if I'd brought the fucking thing up. I bet the cunt had planned that shitty small talk jibe and all. I bet all 3 of them sat planning it eating taco's "Hey what if I say..." "yeah that's a good one" 

To be fair he's sound but agreed on them in general. The humour is completely different. Coastal yanks are always better. Try and get a laugh out of someone from Iowa. 

I was at a party once over there and some lad came up to me and went ‘I hear you’re from England, what type of grass y’all got over there?’ I obviously thought he meant the devils cabbage but he meant actual grass like in the garden.

I was flummoxed, couldn’t elaborate any further than saying ‘erm green’ 

Absolutely different world, I imagine he’ll be posting on a forum somewhere about how he met a dumb Englishman who didn’t even know what type of grass we have. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Geoff Woade said:

I was at a party once over there and some lad came up to me and went ‘I hear your from England, what type of grass y’all got over there?’ I obviously thought he meant the devils cabbage but he meant actual grass like in the garden.

I was flummoxed, couldn’t elaborate any further than saying ‘erm green’ 

Absolutely different world, I imagine he’ll be posting on a forum somewhere about how he met a dumb Englishman who didn’t even know what type of grass we have. 

"Yeah this dude from London said 'green' when I asked what astro he had, I mean come on are these guys for real?" 

41 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Had the same last night. Based in San Diego and without me even saying "I hear you guys have some sort of heatwave?" "Yeah but I doubt it's as hot as over there" "Hahaha well let me say we don't make the news" I should have said "fuck off anchorman" when two of his colleagues laughed as if they were laughing at me as if I'd brought the fucking thing up. I bet the cunt had planned that shitty small talk jibe and all. I bet all 3 of them sat planning it eating taco's "Hey what if I say..." "yeah that's a good one" 

To be fair he's sound but agreed on them in general. The humour is completely different. Coastal yanks are always better. Try and get a laugh out of someone from Iowa. 

"Well I'd rather the news mentioned the weather than yet another load of kids murdered in the class room"  then laugh like uncle buck being sarcastic. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

"Well I'd rather the news mentioned the weather than yet another load of kids murdered in the class room"  then laugh like uncle buck being sarcastic. 

"What are you carrying today? AR-15 or have you come to work in a tank?" 

laughing-haha.gif

The rightwing supreme court has another target: Native American rights

Nick Estes

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/21/supreme-court-native-american-rights-target

I’ve not long finished Empire of the Summer Moon about Quanah Parker and the Comanche tribe of the Great Plains. Manifest destiny and all that. Really interesting. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kepler-186 said:

Nick Estes

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jul/21/supreme-court-native-american-rights-target

I’ve not long finished Empire of the Summer Moon about Quanah Parker and the Comanche tribe of the Great Plains. Manifest destiny and all that. Really interesting. 

Love it, let's screw the descendants of the people's who were, you know, here first!

Yet again!

2 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Nick Estes

Awful the way certain races/religions get treated by others. If they could drop bombs on them I'm sure they would. 

• 4 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I was over there doing some work in a Data Centre in Westchester County, New York and went to grab a sambo for lunch. Here's what the mad cunt made me. I could have fed 4 people with it. I ate about a quarter of it at a push and had to bin the rest.

20160411_131301.jpg

Awesome.

I got one in New York and asked for no salad, the thought that I could horrify even a new York deli owner with an Italian accent while a traffic cop covered in soot stood next to me made me endlessly proud.

"Just meat?"

"No salad at all?"

"Just meat?"

You're god damned right.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I was over there doing some work in a Data Centre in Westchester County, New York and went to grab a sambo for lunch. Here's what the mad cunt made me. I could have fed 4 people with it. I ate about a quarter of it at a push and had to bin the rest.

20160411_131301.jpg

brilliant. i went to NY for a fundraising footy tournament after 9/11 playing against the fire brigade and police teams. it was done at some uni where the giants sometimes train. after we finished, they laid on load of sarnies etc. they made ones like that but they were about 6ft long and you just went and cut off how much you wanted. it was fucking nice like. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

20160411_131301.jpg

Had your thumb been in the bath for a couple of hours? 

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Awesome.

I got one in New York and asked for no salad, the thought that I could horrify even a new York deli owner with an Italian accent while a traffic cop covered in soot stood next to me made me endlessly proud.

"Just meat?"

"No salad at all?"

"Just meat?"

You're god damned right.

I was working in New Jersey a while ago and got took to a steak house in Trenton for dinner. I ordered the fillet ( or "fillay" as they call it), fries and salad, and then thought of some onion rings. I thought it would be a couple of tiny things like you get in Harvesters, but it was 10 of these huge things the size of toilet seats, which I was assured was a single portion. I did my best but had to leave a load of them.

There's a reason Americans are obese motherfuckers.  

First time I went to NYC with my wife I ordered a steak sandwich for evening meal.  She looked at me quizzically and asked why I had only ordered a sandwich.  I told her to wait.  When half a cow between a loaf of bread, and a mountain of fries arrived she understood my reasoning.  I think for the majority of that trip if we were having dinner we had a main course between us.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

20160411_131301.jpg

What was that called Z?

Yellow cheese and turkey/ham/roast beef. An American? A #7?

Anywhoo - on topic:

Florida Rep. Matt Gaetz's Republican primary opponent Mark Lombardo suggested in a new attack ad that the incumbent congressman is the possible informant involved in the FBI's raid on former President Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate

The 30-second political ad called "The Informant?" suggests that Gaetz had something to do with last week's unprecedented search of Trump's Palm Beach, Florida, property — while claiming that Trump has not gone "big" to endorse Gaetz. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What was that called Z?

Yellow cheese and turkey/ham/roast beef. An American? A #7?

I honestly can't remember what it was called. It has turkey/ham/pastrami - that much I remember. I'm used to ordering sandwiches where they begrudge giving you 2 slices of anything. 

• 4 weeks later...