You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UFO's: do you believe?

Kopite

Anyone got any evidence that aliens haven't been here all along? What's the scientific buzzword for negating that please?

Because science is shit scared of being found out for the fucking massive corporate fraud that it is. Fuck mainstream science.

Anyone care to point out how mainstream science isn't a massive fraud? A fucking sickening, disgusting lie?

Have fun.

Again - extraordinary claim.

Put up or shut up.

Guest davelfc

Aliens on Earth, fuck off. Probing people's arses, fuck off. Just how advanced are these 'aliens' that they feel the need to probe people up the bum?

If you've got no real grip on reality then you believe there are conspiracies everywhere and aliens running the show. It's the only way feeble minds can deal with being so fucking dumb. They should have paid more attention in school and the fuck up is now biting them on the arse.

i've seen senile old fuckers that used to have some tenuous links to the military or a space program that claim stories of aliens. My guess is that now they're some rambling 80 year old man, it's the only way to get people to listen to them, that and buy their books and fly them everywhere to give seminars to dumb fucks that have more money than sense.

I'm not saying that there are not aliens out there, nobody can say that. Given dinosaurs walked the earth for about 185 million years i'd say that means you've more chance of finding planets inhabited by them rather than some johnny come lately planet fuckers like us.

I'm going to sail to Australia tomorrow, might take me quite a few months on a small raft. But once I'm there I'll probably only stay a few moments, long enough to scare a few cows, get photographed by some dodgy camera at night and then fuck off home. If you've got the technology to travel through space and visit other planets then why the fuck come here, it's like anyone with an IQ over 40 watching eastenders. 

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

My claim is based on the fact that, over millennia of recorded human history, there is not a single credible piece of evidence that suggests aliens have ever visited.  My claim is, therefore, not extraordinary.  The claim that creatures who may or may not exist have visited Earth - and left not a footprint before they fucked off again - is truly extraordinary.

You cant beat a good quote from Carl. I remember when he and Frank Drake did one of the first searches for ETI radio signals. Carl reckoned the galaxy was awash with them and it would be as easy as tuning into a terrestrial radio station. After 90 minutes of nothing, Drake reported Sagan as being totally bored and went reading a newspaper instead.

Paul Davies makes some interest hypothesise about such markers would best be left in DNA since any structure or machinery would be unlikely to last over the millenia due to tectonic plate movement and erosion by weather etc. Even leaving a device on the moon wouldnt guarantee survival due to comet or meteorite impacts.

This reckons there are 100 million planets in this galaxy with a possibility of life.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2014/06/milky-way-may-bear-100-million-life-giving-planets

The massive danger with some of the hypothesise being put out there now is that its all based on a sample of 1, the Earth. There's a massive debate going on now about a Gliese 581 'planet' being Earth like and in the goldilocks zone. They cant agree whether it exists or not and until they can resolve questions like this, I think claims of 100 million planets are mischievious in the extreme and misleading at best.

Out of a survey of just 1000 planets, none of which have been proved to be habitable, they've extrapolated a figure of 100 million! But, even if their model is correct, the important word is 'could' harbour life. It doesnt automatically follow that life exists there or has evolved beyond single celled life.

Anyone got any evidence that aliens haven't been here all along? What's the scientific buzzword for negating that please?

Because science is shit scared of being found out for the fucking massive corporate fraud that it is. Fuck mainstream science.

Anyone care to point out how mainstream science isn't a massive fraud? A fucking sickening, disgusting lie?

Have fun.

Bit of a silly comment if I may say. Exobiology was once ridiculued by mainstream science but isnt anymore. Luminaries such as Geof Marcy, Frank Drake, Jill Tartar and Paul Davies are not part of any wider conspiracy to deny aliens exist if they had evidence. Davies is actually on the UN Committee and in fact drew up the protocol for any 'First Contact' scenario. These people and their colleagues who've spent their working life on this matter arent part of a massive corporate fraud.

The idea that Governments could cover up the existence of alien life never mind intelligent alien life is frankly silly and the stuff of overhyped conspiracy theorists.

The World knows about the Wow! signal. The World knows both the SETI League and SETI Institute are working to find intelligent life. NASA are engaged in future missions to find life. Has mainstream science, corprorate fraud or any Government been able to stop that information getting out to the public domain?

Nope!

• Upvote 3

What would do if there was disclosure tomorrow? Basically, someone probably Obama came on TV and said "we know we're not alone". Then presented evidence of our planet being visited. Your whole perception of reality would change. You would start to question your existence and people would probably start to question their own reality. Governments don't want that.

What would do if there was disclosure tomorrow? Basically, someone probably Obama came on TV and said "we know we're not alone". Then presented evidence of our planet being visited. Your whole perception of reality would change. You would start to question your existence and people would probably start to question their own reality. Governments don't want that.

There's this myth that the US President would be the one to announce to the World that hard evidence existed on receipt of an ETI signal or confirmed landing. He \ she wont unless a craft landed in the US and even then, given the UN protocol it is unlikely.

For example, if an extra terrestial craft landed in say, Australia, do people think the Australian PM would defer to the US President to say 'a crafted landed in Australia today'?

There's a UN Committee headed by Professor Paul Davies that would handle any announcement about an ETI signal after a number of eminent scientists in the SETI and exobiology fields had verified the signal as artificial and not terrestrial.

Whether Davies himself would make the official announcement or the Secretary general of the UN would do it, Im not sure.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

RP, I strongly recommend you get a copy of this.

http://grantabooks.com/Do-They-Think-Youre-Stupid

It's full of pointers of how reason and logic works.  It'll help you avoid some of the fallacies that keep getting you into squabbles.  If you can argue your points in a more rational and level-headed manner, people will have to address the issues you're arguing for, rather than bickering about your flawed approach to arguing.

I can send you an ebook if you like, RP.

Extraordinary claims (that we're alone in the universe), require extraordinary evidence.

Nobody has claimed that we are the only life in the entire Universe.

We've claimed that Alf, ET and Roger off American Dad are fictional characters.  As are all the other little green arse-probers.

There is no evidence to the contrary, despite millennia of recorded human history, during which (it's reasonable to assume) something would have shown up if they'd been here.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Extraordinary claims (that we're alone in the universe), require extraordinary evidence.

Who said that?