You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who has had a better season?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gettign 4th isn't a huge achievement more like the minimum requirement in a season.

With the bozos in charge now a season of winning the League Cup and missing out on 4th would probably see us turning into a selling club for the summer

Or, he cared about the future of the club? I know he did some shit things and the last two seasons were not pleasant, but I don't think he stopped caring.

I think the words 'Willie McKay' may come in to the equation to say if he cared or not.....alledgedly.

Guest TK-421
I think the words 'Willie McKay' may come in to the equation to say if he cared or not.....alledgedly.

Even if those allegations were true I doubt he stopped caring. He put his health on the line for the club in my opinion, I refuse to believe it was all down to eating too many croissants.

The Pic is not to have a dig at anyone ( not at John as well.. )

Just remembered it, so put it here....

Doin the same thing for the past two seasons would make depressing readin though.

06-07

Champions - Manchester Utd

European Cup Winners - AC Milan

FA Cup Winners - Chelsea

League Cup Winners - Chelsea

07-08

Champions - Manchester Utd or Chelsea

European Cup Winners - Manchester Utd or Chelsea

FA Cup Winners - Portsmouth or Cardiff

League Cup Winners - Spurs

A team is missing there that really shouldn't be.....

Doin the same thing for the past two seasons would make depressing readin though.

06-07

Champions - Manchester Utd

European Cup Winners - AC Milan

FA Cup Winners - Chelsea

League Cup Winners - Chelsea

07-08

Champions - Manchester Utd or Chelsea

European Cup Winners - Manchester Utd or Chelsea

FA Cup Winners - Portsmouth or Cardiff

League Cup Winners - Spurs

A team is missing there that really shouldn't be.....

You can't win a trophy every year mate, it isn't feesible to expect to.

The issue here for me is whether we're good enough to compete for the trophies, and we are IMO.

Spurs won the Carling Cup but when was their last trophy before that?

But think of the problems if we didn't qualify for the CL every year, we would only be on that list once in every 15 years or so.

Exactly. My point from earlier seems to have been ignored.

Regularly being in the top four dramatically increases your chances of winning trophies. That is an undisputable fact of modern-day football.

You can't win a trophy every year mate, it isn't feesible to expect to.

The issue here for me is whether we're good enough to compete for the trophies, and we are IMO.

Spurs won the Carling Cup but when was their last trophy before that?

Exactly Brownie. It was a horrible period between 95 and 01 without winning a bean while the mancs won everything in sight which is exactly WHY we shouldn't be blase like some people are about the league cup. It is a dangerous road to go down just prioritising trophies. If we are sat here in 12 months time trophyless again while the mancs could quite probably equal our title wins and we have a near miss in the CL again and the ownership of the club could still be up in the air what will people be saying then?

You get the same prize for winning the League Cup as winning the FA Cup nowadays so does that mean the FA Cup is a mickey mouse cup as well and not a trophy we have won 7 times like the league cup?

I don't understand how this can be such an issue. We were one goal away from being in the showpiece final of World football and we've finished seven places above them. Winning a trophy is always good but teams like Leicester have won the League Cup before, there is only a select few that get to the stages of the ultimate competition in football even once, let alone almost every season. It isn't lowering the bar as every year we go in trying to finish as high as possible and win everything.

I cannot see how winning a tournament that even some of the sides at the bottom of the league put their reserves out in can be in any way compared to getting to a semi-final of the European Cup. Then factoring in finishing in the bottom half of the table after starting the season aiming for fourth too?

This here is madness of the most crazy type.

I can understand the thought afterwards that winning the League Cup would have been better, but would you have taken that before the second leg? We were so close to making the final for a third time in four years and we will be back there again soon. The main thing is we are there in the middle of things.