You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kandinsky's Colour Test

Karl_b

Which colours to which shapes?  

355 members have voted

1. 1. Which colours to which shapes?

shapes.jpg

Kandinsky once gave this to students at the Bauhaus, as part of his study into colour and shape, and asked them to colour each shape with either red, yellow or blue but only using each colour once.

How would you colour them?

Please select an option for each shape and remember you can only use each colour once. The results of the poll cannot be seen until you have voted and the ones I have voted for are my prediction at what the outcome will be.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Same for me. I remember reading about this a while back and i think that combination was the most common.

Aye...I'm no psychologist like, but for me its associating the strongest shapes with the strongest colours.

I didn't read the posts but ended up with all the minority. For me, circle HAD to be blue, triangle red, square ended up being yellow.

What's this all mean???

It tests your ability to condense form and substance to an empirical certainty as defined by the absolutism of mathematical purity.

Any modern art lover with a degree in Maths, Music and Bull will explain why the following is the correct sequence:

Red = Three letters = Triangle

Blue = Four letters = Square

Yellow = Six letters = Coldplay

It’s obvious to the most casual observer.

On reflection I don't know how true the above comment is. I had it in my mind as I voted last night but think my judgment was more determined by returning from a long weekend in Brighton, still very wired and voting for which 'felt right' - haha.

Itten was an artist who wrote several books on colour studies. He taught at the Bauhaus along with Kandinsky. Amongst many other things, he allocated all hues different values and said that in a painting you can give balance by adhering to his scale. I think one of the best examples is the Monet painting of the lily pond where the small orange flowers are balanced by the expansive use of it's opposite (in strength and tone) blue. I think it goes along the lines of (off the top of my head): Yellow-2, Orange-3, Red-4, Green-5, Blue-6, Purple-7 (but don't quote me on that), these numbers being the primary and secondary colours in his scale.

In the case above I thought I'd fill the biggest space with the lowest colour. I don't know what the actual answer is though.

How many people are always tempted to think of their first response and then change it on something like this? I am, but I went with my initial thought which was the same as Adam's (although I cocked up the poll): colours in order given matched to shapes in order given. There was no other connection in my head br the possibility of red and circle for Liverpool and football.

Who fackin cares what colour a shape should be? You fackin students have got too much time on your hands. Do you want to know how Terry Tibbs got where he is today? With a semi in Hamstead, a Jaguar XJS Coupe 5.3 V12 on the drive, a holiday home in Anglesey and a Ukranian wife half his age willing to suck him off at the drop of a penny. I'll fackin tell you how you pickled onion. He grafted from the day he could walk, morning noon and fackin night, he workd untill his arms felt like a pair of pianos so he could enjoy the good life now. He did not spend all his time on a poxy internet forum discussing the colour of fackin shapes. What do I look like to you son? A PJ tips monkey?