You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last film you watched...

Elite

Westworld

1970's futuristic tale of an expensive fun park full of humanoid androids who guests can kill / fuck / get drunk with at ones leisure. Starring Yul Brenner

Dated as fuck but pretty amusing. Watching old futuristic films getting the futuristic bit so badly wrong is always worth a giggle.

Would have probably been a 9/10 at the time but i'll give it 6 for aging badly.

Wow, remember seeing that as a kid and thinking it was amazing. Might try watching it again in the near future, thanks for reminding me of it.

Watched Underworld again and thought it'd be really bad, but I liked it. The story actually interests me more than I remember it doing before and there's some good acting, especially from Kate Beckinsale and Bill Nighy. There's a couple of parts where it tries to rip off the Matrix with some of its visual and sound effects and I wonder why they had to do that at all because it wasn't needed, but still a decent film. Will probably watch the sequel soon.

Would give it 8/10

Side Effects - 7.68 anti-depressants out of 10.

Very enjoyable movie this one, lots of twists and turns with some excellent performances especially Jude Law who I think is ace and underrated.

Yeah, watched that last night. I'd give it 7/10. Decent film, shame about Soderbergh's camerawork. Hire a proper DoP, Steven.

Revenge of the Nerds. 2/10. A couple of goofball laughs (think Matt Groening has referenced 85% of the film in one way or another) but... no... it's not cool. It's not okay. This film is some weird, rapey shit. One of the worst endings in any teen comedy too.

Catfish - 9/10. Really odd documentary about a facebook deception with surprising depth. Genuinely gratifying seeing how everyone involved resolves the whole situation, real personal growth on show.

The Last Stand. 1/10. Fucking awful. Go back to politics... Even Peter Stormare is shit in this and he is awesome in everything (even Constantine!)

Catfish - 9/10. Really odd documentary about a facebook deception with surprising depth. Genuinely gratifying seeing how everyone involved resolves the whole situation, real personal growth on show.

Did you feel like it was - at least in parts - staged, though? I really liked it but I don't think it was as authentic as they make it out to be.

Man of Steel - 7/10. I thought some bits were great (the start, Clark's struggles growing up, Costner) and others not so great (the end, Superman getting his arse handed to him throughout the film). I hated Zod, it was just Van Alden in a different costume. Act, you cunt! I reckon the next one will be ace now the stage has been set. Good overall though, I enjoyed it.

Bourne Legacy - 7.5/10. Better than I expected, not as good as the trilogy but good non the less.

Prometheous - 6.5/10 - Not as good as I originally hoped, better than I eventually expected.

Man of Steel - 5/10 lifted by the talky exposition bits and let down by the barrage of CGI. An ultimately empty summer blockbuster that is the trademark of Zack. He probably got the gig because he knows FX. They need to get a better director for the next one

Bad Lieutenant (the Nicolas Cage one) - Nothing special but Cage is hilarious in it and for that reason alone I'll give it a 7/10

Grease - (with the gf) might catch some stick for this, but it's a bit of a guilty pleasure. It's hard not to wish you could sing-a-long, but I couldn't let her know this 8/10

The Foot Fist Way - I thought it was very funny in places, run of the mill in others. The mirror scene was the best bit - 7/10

Lions for Lambs - 9/10

I watched it when it first came out and it didn't really resonate at the time, or I only lightly watched it.

Anyway, watched it again last night, no distractions, and it's a masterpiece. A clumsy masterpiece perhaps, it's a Redford film, but it's a quite brilliant cross-section of what is wrong with much in America's War on Terror.

I think it could and should have been another hour longer, and that is what held it back and made it clumsy, it seemed harshly and unnaturally edited to make it cinema-friendly.

Actually, he could have spent an hour alone on addressing the American college system and how these 'kids' consider themselves to be 'kids' until they leave college, which is a total cop-out and they dodge big decisions in their life until aged 23 or 24, by which time they have missed a ton of chances.

Some people might say it's a pro-army movie, I don't see it like that but I'm sure that Redford was laying it on thick a bit at times. That said, I think he was using the army as just one suggestion about what young people can do with their lives.

I still rank Monsters Inc as Pixar's finest hour but I just came out of Monsters University a while ago and it is another gem. I laughed, I cried etc, all you'd expect from Pixar. Goodman and Crystal again playing off each other perfectly.

Got to mention the use of 3D was superb also, none of the things flying out of the screen gimmickry, just very subtle use of depth and distance.

10/10

(3/10 for the opening short which was a bit wishy washy)

A History of Violence - I'd rate it the same I do the graphic novel, just a little short of being very, very good - 7.5/10

The Gift - documentary about gay men who want to catch bad aids. I fell asleep before I could finish the last few parts, but yeah, wow. wtf/10

King of Kong - saw a few mention it on here, glad I watched it, unintentionally laugh out loud in places. Quite sad in a way too. Quality stuff - 8/10

King of Kong - saw a few mention it on here, glad I watched it, unintentionally laugh out loud in places. Quite sad in a way too. Quality stuff - 8/10

Literally finished watching that half an hour ago, and totally agree with your review mate.

Pantomime stuff.

Edit :

Billy-Mitchell-Tattoo.jpg

ha ha

Haha quality.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer. If you like films about serial killers or just graphic violence, this is a film for you. While I wasn't shocked I did find myself thinking 'fucking hell that was nasty' a number of times. The score is great too. It's no Silence of the Lambs, but it's bloody brilliant - 8.5/10