You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

worst case scenario: we don't sign any GREAT players this summer.

Our proven goal scorers: Crouch, Kuyt, Gerrard, Alonso & Garcia.

Guys who can knock em in occasionally: Kewell, Pennant, Risse, bellamy & Agger.

We just took a team to Athens, which was perfectly capable of beating AAAC Milan. Ok, we didn't, due to some bad luck and maybe not playing two up front.

In the second half of last season in the Premiership, there's only ONE top team we didn't beat: The Mancs (the bloody buggers did their usual trick of an injury time winner, if my memory serves me correctly).

We only need one thing this coming season, when we leap up out of the blocks... FUCKIN FIRE CRACKERS UP OUR ARSES.

WHERE oh WHERE is that Liverpool Heart???? Find THAT and the premiership is ours.

We haven't got any proven goalscorers. The 4 who "can knock them in occassionally have about 15 league goals between them. As you say "we didn't". There are 2 halves to a season. Fire crackers? maybe we should bring bonfire night forward, we usually don't start playing until November.

i totally agree that we can't be 10-15 points adrift of the leader by mid november. we have a squad capable of beating anyone (as they say) on any given day. but it's not a great squad. we need someone who's lethal at their position to make a marked improvement. but above all that, they need to be integrated into the squad quickly and play consistantly for us to have a chance at the title.

We haven't got any proven goalscorers. The 4 who "can knock them in occassionally have about 15 league goals between them. As you say "we didn't". There are 2 halves to a season. Fire crackers? maybe we should bring bonfire night forward, we usually don't start playing until November.

Here's a couple of interesting statistics from last season's premiership...

Arsenal (with a proven brilliant striker or two) scored more goals than us, but finished behind us. They only scored 6 more goals than us even with ronaldinio (63 to 57)

Chelsea only scored 7 more goals than us and 1 more than Arsenal (64) and yet finished with many more points.

The Mancs blew everyone away with a massive 83 goals..ok..cant quibble with that.

However, they may not repeat that this season.

My suggestuon is, that if we keep a tight ship in defence (VERY possible) and add just a handful more goals..we can challenge for the premiership.

Stevie alone if he gets off to a good start, could be worth 10 extra goals...

Although our forwards didn't score that many last season and to be honest there are better out there, I think the Managers tactics of not having a favoured partnership up front doesn't help.

He seems to stick with forwards when they're not scoring and then 'rests' them when they start to score. In my opinion dropping or resting them when they're scoring is bound to affect their confidence.

Our away performances were wasteful in front of goal. We controlled games without challenging the oppositions keeper. We're great at home but away we need something extra.

Again, I'd put that down to tactics rather than players. We had enough variation up front to at least change things for the positive. Benitez very rarely chose to be positive with his subs last season and to be honest at times they were baffling.

Again, I'd put that down to tactics rather than players. We had enough variation up front to at least change things for the positive. Benitez very rarely chose to be positive with his subs last season and to be honest at times they were baffling.

That's a fair point.

Guest Jay W

We just took a team to Athens, which was perfectly capable of beating AAAC Milan. Ok, we didn't, due to some bad luck and maybe not playing two up front.

In the second half of last season in the Premiership, there's only ONE top team we didn't beat: The Mancs (the bloody buggers did their usual trick of an injury time winner, if my memory serves me correctly).

We only need one thing this coming season, when we leap up out of the blocks... FUCKIN FIRE CRACKERS UP OUR ARSES.

WHERE oh WHERE is that Liverpool Heart???? Find THAT and the premiership is ours.

I get your drift but we definately need more quality. Too many games we've struggled to create anything, unlock defences and it costs us.

Here's a couple of interesting statistics from last season's premiership...

Arsenal (with a proven brilliant striker or two) scored more goals than us, but finished behind us. They only scored 6 more goals than us even with ronaldinio (63 to 57)

Chelsea only scored 7 more goals than us and 1 more than Arsenal (64) and yet finished with many more points.

The Mancs blew everyone away with a massive 83 goals..ok..cant quibble with that.

However, they may not repeat that this season.

My suggestuon is, that if we keep a tight ship in defence (VERY possible) and add just a handful more goals..we can challenge for the premiership.

Stevie alone if he gets off to a good start, could be worth 10 extra goals...

No team has won the league with less than 68 goals in the last 10 seasons. That's 9 more than we managed last season, the season before and 16 more than 2004/05. That's why we haven't challenged in each of those seasons.

Although our forwards didn't score that many last season and to be honest there are better out there, I think the Managers tactics of not having a favoured partnership up front doesn't help.

He seems to stick with forwards when they're not scoring and then 'rests' them when they start to score. In my opinion dropping or resting them when they're scoring is bound to affect their confidence.

good post, and I agree.

It raises another question.

Even if we DO sign great talent this summer, can we guarantee these sorts of tactics dont get repeated?

Too often we don't pose any kind of threat to the opponents goal. In my opinion it's not just a case of of slotting in new players and telling them to ‘do their stuff’, unless those players can pick the ball up on the half way line, dribble past three players and coolly slot the ball into the net.

yip 'baffling' is the word.

No, we need top players now. No more pissing about with fringe players and youth players. We need the best out there.

Spot on! Add in no lone striker and play a simple 4-4-2 and Charlie Championship (yes I know its the Prem!) will be coming home.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

No way mate.

Kewell will be injured whole season and Pennant will give one good performance in every 2 games or so.

We need quality players rather than the mediocre we have.

Nah I'm serious, pissed off like you. We need a big summer.

I agree. There needs to be a statement of intent from the new owners with regards to signings. I don't mean go out and buy players for top money for the sake of it, I mean go out and get who the Manager wants and give him their full support.

Oh and get rid of Parry.

No team has won the league with less than 68 goals in the last 10 seasons. That's 9 more than we managed last season, the season before and 16 more than 2004/05. That's why we haven't challenged in each of those seasons.

Yes, that's true, but considering rafa is a defensively minded manager, and that isn't really going to change, because i dont think he knows any other way, we are probably never going to be a side that bangs in 4-5 every match.

However, in theory, we can score 38 goals and win the premiership...by not conceding any.

Highly improbable I know, but a balance of 'reaqsonable' goalscoring coupled with tight defending CAN get results.

Surely this is 'The Way Of The Rafa'