You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We need two things, basically. Match-winning players (two), and a more British than Spanish approach to away games. We shouldn't be looking to "control" shite teams at the bottom of the table, we should be looking to do a number on them. Too often over the last couple of season we've wasted the first 45 minutes of games playing in this weird tactical straightjacket rather than maximising our advantages and playing lesser teams off the park. If we do that, and we add one or two players who can score and create goals to the team, we'll be well capable of a title challenge.

A title challenge is very different to a cup run. I suggest Kopout take a look at just how many points we've been left trailing. Narrowing that gap will take more than just a flying start.

getting a running start is a hell of a lot better than being out of the title race before boxing day the last two seasons. we at least need to be within shouting distance.

I'm just trying to be positive here. There's a lot of chat about 'if we dont sign quality' and 'we need such and such'

Like I said in my original post, we may NOT get who we want, but all this talk of 'not being good enough' isn't doing our existing players any good at all. They need our support (read : belief in them) now, just as much as we need their commitment & passion.

getting a running start is a hell of a lot better than being out of the title race before boxing day the last two seasons. we at least need to be within shouting distance.

You really are in lala land. When Rafa spoke of needing to take two steps forward I think that was an indication of just where we are in terms of mounting a title challenge.

worst case scenario: we don't sign any GREAT players this summer.

Our proven goal scorers: Crouch, Kuyt, Gerrard, Alonso & Garcia.

Guys who can knock em in occasionally: Kewell, Pennant, Risse, bellamy & Agger.

We just took a team to Athens, which was perfectly capable of beating AAAC Milan. Ok, we didn't, due to some bad luck and maybe not playing two up front.

In the second half of last season in the Premiership, there's only ONE top team we didn't beat: The Mancs (the bloody buggers did their usual trick of an injury time winner, if my memory serves me correctly).

We only need one thing this coming season, when we leap up out of the blocks... FUCKIN FIRE CRACKERS UP OUR ARSES.

WHERE oh WHERE is that Liverpool Heart???? Find THAT and the premiership is ours.

when was alonso ever a proven goalscorer? 2 goals a season doesn't denote a proven goalscorer.

We need more attacking midfielders, a left back and 2 quality (eto'o, villa, tevez) strikers

If we don't improve this squad dramatically, I'm pretty sure we'll fall further behind the top sides - both in terms of points and league placing. We shouldn't get too complacent about CL qualification via the league, either. I know it's a long shot, but the teams below us have got those CL qualifying places set firmy in their sights as they spend this summer.

You really are in lala land. When Rafa spoke of needing to take two steps forward I think that was an indication of just where we are in terms of mounting a title challenge.

so you're telling me that the past two seasons we couldn't have served ourselves better than, i dunno, being around mid table in late October? I just wanted to make sure i read that correctly.

no shit we need new/dramatically better players. but it will still do us no good if they don't settle and contribute in late Aug-November. it's not like you can 'mount a title challenge' by getting double points for wins in the month or March when you're 15 points adrift.

We have the following positions sorted if we want to win the Prem then we need at least three other position filled with Top Class quality 5 would bring us the Prem without doubt but i believe Rafa could do it with 3 RM LM CF as both fullback positions we could get away with what we have at the club

GK

CB

CB

CM

CM

We have the following positions sorted if we want to win the Prem then we need at least three other position filled with Top Class quality 5 would bring us the Prem without doubt but i believe Rafa could do it with 3 RM LM CF as both fullback positions we could get away with what we have at the club

GK

CB

CB

CM

CM

True.

We have the best 'spine' in the Premiership in my opinion.

Reina is better than Van de Saar (or Foster) and is better than Cech. Reina distributes the ball better, saves penalties better, makes better 'camera saves'. Maybe Cech is better claiming crosses but Reina improved this area of his game over the season.

Carragher/Agger are better than Terry/Carvahlo. Agger will chip in with more goals this upcoming year.

CM needs no explanation, spoilt for choice.

We just need wings so we can fly instead of floundering like a turkey in the Fall.

True.

We have the best 'spine' in the Premiership in my opinion.

Reina is better than Van de Saar (or Foster) and is better than Cech. Reina distributes the ball better, saves penalties better, makes better 'camera saves'. Maybe Cech is better claiming crosses but Reina improved this area of his game over the season.

Carragher/Agger are better than Terry/Carvahlo. Agger will chip in with more goals this upcoming year.

CM needs no explanation, spoilt for choice.

We just need wings so we can fly instead of floundering like a turkey in the Fall.

I still say, playing one up front won't win us the premiership; I gave up counting the number of times last season we played with a single striker away from home & sometimes even AT home (and the season before as well).

If we'd played Crouch AND kuyt at Athens, we'd all be celebrating madly at this point.

I don't care who the 'top class wingers ' are that we're supposedly going to sign, or who the new 'sensational striker is', he will be turned into a lame duck, if the tactics stay the same; meaning ironically, NOT spending the money and playing Crouch and Kuyt up front would end up being more effective.

I still say, playing one up front won't win us the premiership; I gave up counting the number of times last season we played with a single striker away from home & sometimes even AT home (and the season before as well).

If we'd played Crouch AND kuyt at Athens, we'd all be celebrating madly at this point.

I don't care who the 'top class wingers ' are that we're supposedly going to sign, or who the new 'sensational striker is', he will be turned into a lame duck, if the tactics stay the same; meaning ironically, NOT spending the money and playing Crouch and Kuyt up front would end up being more effective.

I agree with every word of that.

Its not about playing only one player up front, its about playing the right player up front

I think if you had Henry or Eto up on ther own and the right service Just as Chelsea fed Drogba then there wouldn't be a problem playing only one up front

I believe Rafa will know what he wants and the players he wants and that is good enough for me

Its not about playing only one player up front, its about playing the right player up front

I think if you had Henry or Eto up on ther own and the right service Just as Chelsea fed Drogba then there wouldn't be a problem playing only one up front

I believe Rafa will know what he wants and the players he wants and that is good enough for me

With all due respect to Henry, we finished ahead of Arsenal last season with a team 'that's not good enough'.

Sheer numbers up front should convert chances into MORE goals

For all the talk here about what a great midfield we have, why do we need 5 in midfield? if our defense is so good why do we need 5 in defence?

why do we constantly overload the first two thirds, sacrificing real opportunities up front?

We need two things, basically. Match-winning players (two), and a more British than Spanish approach to away games. We shouldn't be looking to "control" shite teams at the bottom of the table, we should be looking to do a number on them. Too often over the last couple of season we've wasted the first 45 minutes of games playing in this weird tactical straightjacket rather than maximising our advantages and playing lesser teams off the park. If we do that, and we add one or two players who can score and create goals to the team, we'll be well capable of a title challenge.

Agree.

Lets have the opposition start worrying about us away from home, rather than the other way round.