You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brian Reade...

Kopite

Simon made the book? Brilliant stuff.

Although many of you have said it's essential reading I'm not in any rush to relive their ownership and all the stories that filled me with rage at the time.

I'll pick it up at a later point I'm sure as I'm once again enjoying watching football and reading the off field news reports, long may that feeling continue under the new Owners and The King.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Onto the third chapter. Not bad so far, but it's just going over stuff I already knew about really, which is only to be expected as it's giving background on the leeches for those of the "they bought us Torres" mindset.

Does Green get a mention? I hope it's a full page of his recipes.

I'm right near the end now, just finished the chapter detailing the Kop Faithful campaign.

Tell you what, the lads off here who were the brains behind that idea, the likes of ATK, Dougie and StevieH who went above and beyond the call of duty, are an absolute credit to the club and this website. Such a simple concept, yet ultimately so so effective. Reade gives a great coverage of it and leaves you in now doubt of just how pivotal a roll Kop Faithful played in running them two bastards out of town. Whilst they were truly shit times to be a supporter of Liverpool Football Club, they were also paradoxically a golden age for us as supporters. When it mattered we unified like no other club's fans would do. We refused to bend over and take a Hicks pummeling. I'm so proud that through sending those emails I can say I played a small part in it. There are some right nobs on the site these days but the Kop Faithful lads and all those who played there part are an absolute credit to the forums.

Just finished the book and agree 100%

Finished it myself, and my thoughts are:

Moores - well out of his depth, should of just appointed a proper team round him and he'd of been laughing, his inabliity to make a decision cost us over the years ie, souness and ged getting too long, he is also to blame for the mess whatever he says

Parry - another so out of his depth its untrue, had too much on his plate but wouldnt take anyone on to help, hoodwinked like Moores, hid behined 'the liverpool way' far too much. Unrepentent like the nob above.

Kop Faithful - Without them we'd be dead

SOS -gone up in my estimations

Purslow - got carried away with himself and thought he was the main man. Caused problems but without his vote we'd be fucked.

Rafa - Loves the club, I never doubted that it was just the constant politiking which wrecked my head a lot of people. I love him and thank him for what he did but I'd never have him back.

Martin Broughton - not sure about sir, it should be saint, the man saved us. He could easily of folded and gone with Hicks plans but he never and he literally saved us right at the death. Thank you Martin.

and Mr. Reade, boss book, keep them coming

There's a strange bit on page 69, where Reade sets up an anecdote from Tony Barrett but then quotes him saying something that didn't strike me as relevant at all. Maybe I just read it wrong. Otherwise, as I said before, I found it as fascinating as the actual events were infuriating.

Moores - well out of his depth, should of just appointed a proper team round him and he'd of been laughing, his inabliity to make a decision cost us over the years ie, souness and ged getting too long, he is also to blame for the mess whatever he says

Parry - another so out of his depth its untrue, had too much on his plate but wouldnt take anyone on to help, hoodwinked like Moores, hid behined 'the liverpool way' far too much. Unrepentent like the nob above.

Purslow - got carried away with himself and thought he was the main man. Caused problems but without his vote we'd be fucked.

Rafa - Loves the club, I never doubted that it was just the constant politiking which wrecked my head a lot of people. I love him and thank him for what he did but I'd never have him back.

Martin Broughton - not sure about sir, it should be saint, the man saved us. He could easily of folded and gone with Hicks plans but he never and he literally saved us right at the death. Thank you Martin.

Yes to all that.

We really did come very close to meltdown and a lot of people played a very good game.

Just finished reading it this morning and agree with all that good post.

anyone see that bit where Brian says a rival chairman said 'you think you are gods chosen people'

The qoute was longer but thats the jist

Kenwright defo I reckon.

After 25 years of making Heysel their tragedy, he'd be a cheeky cunt to talk about 'entitlement'.

So it's obviously not impossible.

I seem to recall Readey actually writing about this in his column, think it was Bates at Chelsea.

1 - Reade uses too many strange metaphors to illustrate his points, when in several instances it is not necessary.

In his living room, you will probably find the Blackadder box set.

It's as obvious as a priest on a mountain of sugar!

It's clear from reading the book that Broughton played an absolute blinder. He tied the parasites up in knots with full confidence that he had the law on his side, then fired the bullets to finally see them off. Business wise, he is in a different league to Moores, Parry and the other two gobshites. From reading the account you can see why the man is so very highly regarded in the business world.

It's clear from reading the book that Broughton played an absolute blinder. He tied the parasites up in knots with full confidence that he had the law on his side, then fired the bullets to finally see them off. Business wise, he is in a different league to Moores, Parry and the other two gobshites. From reading the account you can see why the man is so very highly regarded in the business world.

That description of him in court, "cold as ice", staring straight ahead with full concentration.

Then when the verdict was in, handed a photoshop of himself and roaring with laughter.

Great passage that.

Absolute must read for any red. Moores as we all know was a dithering idiot and all he had to do was appoint a top chief exc and he would of been ok. Parry was nowhere near good enough to lead the club and instead of getting in help which his ego prevented. But my hats go off to the 350 people that turned up at the sandon that day to form SOS and all the various fan groups, and in my mind did truelly saved lfc.

Got the book last night, and have just finished it off. Very good book indeed. After reading it, I felt some sympathy for Moores, I think he genuinely made a mistake by trusting Gillett and taking his word as Gospel with regard to Hicks. I loved the way Brian described the court case, with Purslow keeping count and Broughton has cool has ice, but what I really liked was the way he described SOS and Kop Faithful, using the Republican movement as a analogy.

The book has really helped me understand how much some of the guys on this great forum were involved! Thank you gents for saving our club!

If and when we win number 19 I hope Broughton gets a shout out cos in all honesty he saved us, and as a Chelsea supporter he could easily of put the boot in on us.a top top man in my eyes

That was never going to be the case and I was amazed when some people suggested it would be in the early days. A pro is a pro, they pride themselves on being able to perform their task regardless of loyalties. On top of that, as loyalties go I'd also suggest sporting loyalties are pretty low down on the food chain when it comes to people who've reached that position in business too, they think in nunbers and legalese, everything else is just white noise.

Finally finished reading it. Credit to all those who wouldn't lie down and let the two cancers ride roughshod over this venerated institution. You can gage a person's intentions more accurately when they have their backs to the wall. That these two shysters were happy and more than prepared to drag us down with them when the knew the gig was up should be flagged up in big bold letters when they try to get involved in any business transaction in future. If they can become persona non grata in the only sphere of influence that matters to them - the business world - that day can't come a moment too soon. I want them both to go through the turmoil Gillett talked about with his first bankruptcy again. Only this time, they will not be able to buy their clothes back.