You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why is this even controversial anymore?

Houllier got hammered for far worse than this.

Is right. I wont slag benitez off. I dont think that's right. He obviously picks a team he thinks is good enough to win but unfortunately that's a major problem because the opposition manager does the same. No one sends a team out not to win.

Only the most myopic of fans cant see that benitez is now at the same point as houllier was in his final 2 seasons. Houllier's health problems affected his judgement and temprement. You could see in his body language all was not well.

Look at benitez's body language now and especially after this last defeat. Its the same as Houllier. His team selection today was mind blowingly staggerring. Southgate must have pissed himself laughing at how we were set up today. They didnt even need the excuse of having had to play a cup tie this week.

I really cant see benitez taking us any further in the league, he just hasnt got the grasp of it after 4 years. He'll do well in the CL although I think if we come up against a better team than Real we could be in a lot of trouble.

I dont believe in sacking LFC managers but, I think the major difference between Houllier and Benitez is that Houllier fell on his sword for the good of the club.

You cant help but feel even the staunchest of support for benitez is ebbing away especially after yet another poor team selection. I dont know where we go from here but right now, even second place now looks a big ask.

Question: (in particular for those who want the manager to go)

Who will replace him? I mean, let's just run with the notion that from top down at our football club, things are fucked. The Yanks are a plague, and we've just managed to get rid of an inept CE. We've no money to match the likes of Chelsea and- I dare say it- Manchester City in a few years, or even United. The stadium plans are shelved. So, who will replace the manager who has actually tried to keep the club as stable as possible in the past few years?

No world class manager will look here and go: "hmm, that dodgy situation with two co-owners who hate each other is the perfect place for me to manage"

I'm not witing here saying that Rafa is the only one for us, I'm merely looking for constructive, persuasive opnions as to who should-and would- come in. Stop fucking getting abusive and try and apply some rationality.

Kenny till the end of the season

They cant still be serious about giving him a new long term deal?

anyone who wants Kenny back, even for a few weeks is deluded. Kenny is from a by gone age in football management. He would not have a clue. What next for arsenal -bring back George Graham?

Fergie is the only one who has bridged recent generations of management and he has been helped with generally top class assistants.

Believe it or not this is only our second league defeat of the season - at the end of Feb.

I'm pretty fed up of the football now tbh. Without Gerrard and Torres we're decidedly average to say the least. There's no spark anywhere else in the squad to put these shite sides to the sword.

Fullbacks, rarely overlap. Centre-mids aren't allowed leave their zones and join in the attacks. Wingers(Babel and Kuyt) with zero footballing ability, cant cross, cant control a ball, zero vision, thats £20m right there on those two folks.

I like Rafa. He's unquestionably a good coach, but extremely limited. We simply wont win a League Title under such a negative thinking coach.

we've lost Torres again with another injury, and the player bought as a striker who in his 1st season was so successful and full of promise IS PERMANENTLY ASSIGNED RIGHT MIDFIELD????????? I cannot for all the tea in china get my fucking head around it. Rafa Benitez has gone bononkers.

I know it's hard getting players who think they're stars to be squadies, and crouchie was no exception, but at least he put the ball in the back of the fucking net. KUYT CAN SCORE GOALS. He's proved it time and time again.

Get him off the friggin' wing, and do it NOW.