You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

When was the last time you went to the gym?

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

A large percentage of people are paying for something they then don't deem is worth using. But yeah no, there's just no issue there.

That would be on them not the gyms.

Are the gyms open (sometimes 24/7 in fact) and available to provide the services/equipment that people sign up and pay for? Yes, yes they are.

Many even offer PAYG.

Therefore there is simply no scam.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

That would be on them not the gyms.

Are the gyms open (sometimes 24/7 in fact) and available to provide the services/equipment that people sign up and pay for? Yes, yes they are.

Many even offer PAYG.

Therefore there is simply no scam.

It would be on people if the number of people who pay for something they don't use wasn't so substantial. 

The vast majority of gym's don't even want you to show up, mate. They make a large amount of money on an invisible clientel. 

Again, gee, what is the issue here. And again, for the people who even go, how many of them do stuff they could be doing for free?

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It would be on people if the number of people who pay for something they don't use wasn't so substantial. 

The vast majority of gym's don't even want you to show up, mate. They make a large amount of money on an invisible clientel. 

Again, gee, what is the issue here. And again, for the people who even go, how many of them do stuff they could be doing for free?

I just feel it is a very weird take to call it a scam and on top of that fact is people are absolutely free to choose where and how they exercise....many people like myself exercise in gyms and outside and at home....many choose to exercise just at gym, many just at home or outside.

What matters is people doing what they want, where they want and when they want and enjoying the physical and mental benefits of what they do.

I for example often plan runs to end near or at my gym then go in and do my strength work, then walk home - 3 different types of exercise all with different benefits - some outside, some in gym.

Sometimes i do stuff at home.

The freedom to choose, to mix and match and do what feel need to depending on needs is available to us all - at home, outside, at the gym - I just don't see this scam, pal, that you do or a problem with what gyms are or offer.

53 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That Simon charity bike ride thread was another fantastic day on the GF. 

To this day I will not be convinced anyone has come up with a better idea than doing a sponsored cycle on an exercise back in the back of a moving van.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, littletedwest said:

You tend to find a few different sorts of gyms. Commercial ones, wannabe gangster ones, ladies only and old school non chain ones which in my view are the best.

I joined an old school independent gym in October and it's by the far best one I've used. £33 a month, no joining fee on a rolling monthly contract.

I originally wanted to join a ladies only one but the outdated sexist bastards wouldn't let me!  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Megadrive Man said:

I joined an old school independent gym in October and it's by the far best one I've used. £33 a month, no joining fee on a rolling monthly contract.

I originally wanted to join a ladies only one but the outdated sexist bastards wouldn't let me!  

Write to the Guardian, they've spent the last week moaning about the Garick club, I'm sure they'd take this up as their next crusade.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Write to the Guardian, they've spent the last week moaning about the Garick club, I'm sure they'd take this up as their next crusade.

I imagine they'll pick up on Olivia Coleman's comments today as well.

Justice for female multi millionaires.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Total Longo said:

I know mate, i just meant i don't see the point in using a static bike when i have a perfectly good one at home. You're deffo just doing the spin classes just for a perv aren't you?

I just do the classes my pt instructor does. I’m actually legally not allowed to be within 1000 metres of her but my fake tache seems to work. Managed to get through a full women’s aerobics class the other week with a wig on and a fake pair of tits without being clocked. She loves me you see, she just doesn’t know it. 

2 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

Where is this thread?

Simon asked Dave to delete all of his threads for when he wins an Oscar. He doesn’t want his old internet stuff being front page news. 

“Oscar winner puts award in Microwave, the signs where there all along” 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I just do the classes my pt instructor does. I’m actually legally not allowed to be within 1000 metres of her but my fake tache seems to work. Managed to get through a full women’s aerobics class the other week with a wig on and a fake pair of tits without being clocked. She loves me you see, she just doesn’t know it. 

Simon asked Dave to delete all of his threads for when he wins an Oscar. He doesn’t want his old internet stuff being front page news. 

“Oscar winner puts award in Microwave, the signs where there all along” 

I might drop Elon a quick message asking that extend me the same courtesy.

3 hours ago, littletedwest said:

Yep if you're too lazy go to a gym you've paid for you'll probably be too lazy do 'free' exercise

Fair point. It's far easier to build a gym routine into your week than get up at 6am in the pitch black,see that it's cold and pissing down (yes,even June,July and August) and then say 'Fuck it!' Dragging your arse to the gym three or four times a week without worrying about freezing your balls off and getting drenched in rain while avoiding,mud,dogshit and potholes is much easier. Just to repeat,there are always some pleasant looking ladies that brighten the scenery nowadays too.

A Red is right. Getting out and being around people is essential in this time of your whole life being under one roof for some people. Mentally I reckon lockdown set me back massively. Lost a lot of desire to be social. I’ve probably been in my local about 5 times in the past 12 months. Plus why look at one arse when you can look at 10 or something. 

I’ve got a home gym set but I don’t work out anywhere near as good as when I go the gym. I just need to go more personally. It’s easy to get into a routine once you’ve dragged yourself there a couple of times close together. It’s also far too easy to let that one day of saying “fuck it it’s raining” become 6 months without bothering at all. 

Training at home with weights would cost a fortune as there is such a variance in weight that you would use for different exercises.

Bought a Pull up bar in lockdown. Some cheap Chinese bar waited 2 months for it to come. Was meant to support upto a weight of up to 17 stone. Snapped about 3 weeks after getting it. And I definitely wasn't 17 stone.

11 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Training at home with weights would cost a fortune as there is such a variance in weight that you would use for different exercises.

Bought a Pull up bar in lockdown. Some cheap Chinese bar waited 2 months for it to come. Was meant to support upto a weight of up to 17 stone. Snapped about 3 weeks after getting it. And I definitely wasn't 17 stone.

Blames on you there I’m afraid. I’ve had a pull up bar I got from sports direct about 15 years ago, not sure where it was made but it’s never snapped on me. 

I’ve only used it about 10 times but that’s beside the point. 

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I really am. It's an industrial complex. The fitness industry in general is as bad as anything in terms of fraudulency. 

Totally agree. My eldest joined one about 60 quid a month and compulsory PT. i said fair enough she needed the motivation. 

'What did he say about diet' I asked. ' Oh he never mentioned that just eat lots of protein' That kinda sums them up.

How can something that people choose to pay for that actually works when you use what you’ve paid for be a scam because some people decide not to use it or don’t use it properly? 

A compulsory PT??? That’s a bit weird. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

How can something that people choose to pay for that actually works when you use what you’ve paid for be a scam because some people decide not to use it or don’t use it properly? 

A compulsory PT??? That’s a bit weird. 

Gym I use whist not a shithole Is basic but has all the kit. A lad set himself up as a PT and has tons of clients come in. He has dozens of skinny teens doing leg and bicep curls. Complete was of time. i asked him what about squats and deads get some strength into them and he said he would lose business because they are 'too hard'