You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wild celebrations

Pidge

Off the back of the podcast, what's yours?

I remember celebrating Stevie's penalty against Fulham in 2014 like mad and the place bouncing afterwards, felt like that was the moment I believed we were really in the chase that year. But probably when Henderson stuck one in the top corner away to Chelsea is the answer. Mainly because I was stood behind Stringvest at the time. He took it with class, as usual. Also Mane scoring against Norwich in that shite match in 2020, was in a packed London pub, full of reds, and just felt like it was going to be the moment when the wheels came off and we dropped stupid points, a lot of anxiety going around. Never had any doubt after that, knew they had it.

The most I've ever celebrated was probably a save, not a goal, Dudek saving the final pen. That match was felt like it took about five hours in my memory. I watched it across about four different locations, landing in the Cross Keys in Newport (great sports pub) and absolutely lost it. Had to go to the indie club next door after and pretend I still had my dignity intact.

Dirk slotting in the winner vs the Mancs in the FA Cup in 2012 was a sweet moment and one I celebrated like a mad man, 5 rows back in the Kop. His winning pen vs Chelsea in the CL Semi too.

Andy Carroll's winner against the Bloos brought about some tumbling and flailing limbs high up at Wembley.

Bellamy scoring the decisive goal vs City in the LC semi nearly broke my leg in the madness.

Lovren's winner against Dortmund was damn good.

I watched the game round my uncle's (who I hadn't seen for a year), along with my two lads. The youngest was blase about football, but both he and my eldest went absolutely mental with us when Lovren scored, great feeling to see them both so into it.

In terms of being at a game, loads of moments that night, but Smicer's goal in Istanbul to bring it back to 3-2 and Xabi's equaliser left me without a voice for a few days. 

Origi+6 against Everton was something else too, greatly boosted by Klopp's celebration, though I felt sorry for the poor soul beside me who left two minutes earlier. 

Watching at home, I frightened the life out of my new rescue dog when Dirk scored the winning penalty against Chelsea in 2007. Poor thing went hiding behind the couch, probably wondering about the life choices she'd made. She got used to the celebrations over the years though. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I watched the game round my uncle's (who I hadn't seen for a year), along with my two lads. The youngest was blase about football, but both he and my eldest went absolutely mental with us when Lovren scored, great feeling to see them both so into it.

Yeah a mate of mine travelled up for that one, the prick. Thought that was going to be the great klopp comeback, probably the greatest game of his time overall.

Mine are pretty random. I remember a Dudek penalty save late on away at Pride Park to preserve a 1-0 that kept us top of the league, late 2001? Ended up going over the seats. Michael Owen's second in the Carling Cup final v the Mancs in 2003 after they'd been battering us for the best part of an hour, again went flying. Emile's header v Roma in 2002, Kop was just mental that night and in the same vein and saving the best 'til last Garcia against Chelsea in the CL semi in 2005. It was one of those where you're going so mad you almost forget to breathe in, you're just shouting out in celebration for so long that it starts to get a bit woozy and you're needing to fill your lungs or you'll pass out. Happy days  

• Upvote 1

Off the top of my head...

McAllister's winner at Woodison in 2001.

Owen's winner v Arsenal in 2001.

Garcia's semi winners v Chelsea in 2005 & 06.

Carroll's winner v Everton at Wembley.

Mo at the Ethiad in the CL in 2018.

Origi in Madrid - You knew we'd won it then. I had some bad personal news leading up to that game, I can't put the release from the stress in that moment into words.

Mo v the Mancs in 2020 - we all knew we weren't being caught after that.

Jota v Norwich in 2021 - first game / goal back after COVID19 was emotional.

Mo v City this season.

All 7 v the mancs this season - they just got funnier and more wild as they went on.

Watched the 2006 FA Cup final in our usual haunt in Speke. It’s the social club attached to the church where all of our family events take place. Weddings, funerals, christenings, communions. Always had family on the committee and loads of us have had stints glass collecting or working behind the bar. 

We did our usual thing of dragging a couple of tables to the front, near the big screen. When Gerrard made it 3-3 we went fucking mental. We ended up falling over the table behind us, knocking those people down too, and then the people behind them ended up arse over tit as well. There must have been 15 of us rolling around the floor screaming. Absolute bedlam. 

The 2012 FA Cup semi in the same pub was excellent as well, but in a different way. All the blues were at the back, reds at the front. Pint glasses went flying everywhere when Carroll headed in that winner. 

34 minutes ago, Scottish Steve said:

Mine are pretty random. 

You know youre going to go nuts v the manc, The Ev, a Cup Semi or Final etc. It's expected.

Some random ones are just as good.

Alonso and Biscan scoring in where we came 0-2 down to win 4-2 at Fulham.

Harry Kewell scoring to put us 2-1 v Birmingham at Anfield. It was an appalling game, the ref was acting a cunt and managed to whip the ground up into a frenzy.

Morientes scored 2 last-ish goals v Middlesborough in 2006

I'm a shithouse celebrator.  I jump up when the goal goes in but then within 1 second start utterly shitting it that the other team will score from the tip off.

Having said that, the Lovren goal against Dortmund was one where I went mad.  The whole game and build up of emotions did that.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Watched the 2006 FA Cup final in our usual haunt in Speke. It’s the social club attached to the church where all of our family events take place. Weddings, funerals, christenings, communions. Always had family on the committee and loads of us have had stints glass collecting or working behind the bar. 

We did our usual thing of dragging a couple of tables to the front, near the big screen. When Gerrard made it 3-3 we went fucking mental. We ended up falling over the table behind us, knocking those people down too, and then the people behind them ended up arse over tit as well. There must have been 15 of us rolling around the floor screaming. Absolute bedlam. 

The 2012 FA Cup semi in the same pub was excellent as well, but in a different way. All the blues were at the back, reds at the front. Pint glasses went flying everywhere when Carroll headed in that winner. 

Haha, I remember similar happening when Beckham scored against the Greeks at one of our locals. Think the proprietor had to put an insurance claim in for that goal. Obviously I was at the back solemnly shaking my head at the flag-shagging twats... honest...

• Haha 1

At the match probably Benayoun in the 4-4 with Arsenal.

At home probably Coutinho in the 3-2 against City.

In the pub Owen against Arsenal in 2001. The rest of that weekend is a blur.

Random one, Sadios last minute winner at Goodison. In a posh restaurant with the brother in-laws missus and her parent's. Discretely watching the game under the table. Nearly destroyed the entire table when that went in.

Opposite end of the spectrum was the equaliser in the 3-3 at Palace. Missus had to take the young one out of the room. Proper defo that one.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, No7 said:

Opposite end of the spectrum was the equaliser in the 3-3 at Palace. Missus had to take the young one out of the room. Proper defo that one.

The Arsenal last minute winner in 1989 for the title is my equivalent of that one. I was on placement in fucking Swindon, didn't have anyone to watch the game with in the pub so I bought some cans planning to watch it at my flat. I was only 20 and rarely bought carry outs, so just grabbed the first 4 pack I recognised- Kestrel, which I'd seen my dad drink. I didn't realise it was actually Kestrel Export at about 8%, far stronger than I was used to, ended up absolutely bladdered and completely distraught when Thomas scored. Sickening feeling, coupled with the Hillsborough disaster not long before and put me in a very dark place.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Mudface said:

I was up at the back of the Main Stand for that. Absolutely insane bout of screaming and hugging strangers.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, No7 said:

In the pub Owen against Arsenal in 2001. The rest of that weekend is a blur.

I don't think I celebrated the second one. I was standing on a table on a pub in Hanover Street, punching the ceiling for the first one but just gawping dumbstruck at the second.