You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

1 hour ago, YNWAViking said:

An injury on Trent and two CBs out (very likely as they are all made of crackers) and we're down to 3 CBs starting (2 in the middle + Gomez as RB) and none on the bench. A problem. 

We need a defender urgently, I would say moreso than we needed another midfielder, although both were urgent! I'll be dumbfounded if we end this window with no defender. We even let our breakglass in Phillips go out on loan.

20 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Another thing, how do some of you have so much insight on all these players playing abroad? 

Do you sit watching every game, taking notes and scouting them on the tele?

How do you get the time to do it? I’ve not heard of 90% of the players you mention. I barely have the time to watch any games in the Premier League that don’t involve us.

Its fucking mental.

I don't think people watch that much european league matches, I suspect they check out stats, articles and YouTube compilations. And before that sounds like I am sneering, I desperately wanted the following 3 players linked with us more than anyone signed or not signed in the past 10 years: Mkhitaryan, Keita and Teixeira. The fact I knew fuck all about them added to their mystique and it was entirely based on just a whim/hunch. Tchouameni and Bellingham are more recent versions. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

We need a defender urgently, I would say moreso than we needed another midfielder, although both were urgent! I'll be dumbfounded if we end this window with no defender. We even let our breakglass in Phillips go out on loan.

I don’t think we will sign one. As I said just before, I think this will be another transition season like we had a few years ago where Jurgen is building his team from the top down. The attack was sorted, then he has built his new midfield and and I think the defence will start in January and then the summer.

we don’t have the backing to do complete overhauls and he build squads to work with over a prolonged period. Look at the ages of the players he’s signed.

4 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

I don’t think we will sign one. As I said just before, I think this will be another transition season like we had a few years ago where Jurgen is building his team from the top down. The attack was sorted, then he has built his new midfield and and I think the defence will start in January and then the summer.

we don’t have the backing to do complete overhauls and he build squads to work with over a prolonged period. Look at the ages of the players he’s signed.

Yep, I think that's the case, its a disgrace from the owners but its our new expected normal.

Next summer we'll have to contend with Salah leaving, amongst other players to replace (Robbo for instance). It's very hard to build over years because you're always losing players on the other side.

Just now, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Yep, I think that's the case, its a disgrace from the owners but its our new expected normal.

Next summer we'll have to contend with Salah leaving, amongst other players to replace (Robbo for instance). It's very hard to build over years because you're always losing players on the other side.

Salah will be 32 by then and we will still get a decent fee from the headchoppers. I’m not too concerned about replacing Salah. He is absolutely phenomenal but it was always on the horizon that he will need to be covered and I think we will do ok. Don’t be surprised to see Doak feature a lot this season. I’m not saying he is the answer but Klopp obviously see’s something there. If it doesn’t work out, I’m sure we will do ok bringing someone in.

For me, the defence will be the priority. 

I honestly think Trent will end up as a fully fledged midfielder. We will need two Right backs, a left back and two CB’s. 

Get that right and we will be challenging for the next 4-5 years.

I agree that we are not backed like City, United or others but that’s how it’s been for 30 years. The difference is we have Klopp and we need to trust the process.

The alternative is becoming state owned or a Boehly situation and I want neither.

28 minutes ago, an tha said:

What does this shite even mean?

If we say he is not for sale and the player has not agitated for the move then that is surely the fucking end of it.

Indeed. Not too late for them to offer us 350 million though.

33 minutes ago, an tha said:

If we say he is not for sale and the player has not agitated for the move then that is surely the fucking end of it.

F44cJMnXEAAgQmr?format=webp&name=small

Fucking fireworks and November is two months off. The local Facebook community groups will be kicking off for sure.

9 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Salah will be 32 by then and we will still get a decent fee from the headchoppers. I’m not too concerned about replacing Salah. He is absolutely phenomenal but it was always on the horizon that he will need to be covered and I think we will do ok. Don’t be surprised to see Doak feature a lot this season. I’m not saying he is the answer but Klopp obviously see’s something there. If it doesn’t work out, I’m sure we will do ok bringing someone in.

For me, the defence will be the priority. 

I honestly think Trent will end up as a fully fledged midfielder. We will need two Right backs, a left back and two CB’s. 

Get that right and we will be challenging for the next 4-5 years.

I agree that we are not backed like City, United or others but that’s how it’s been for 30 years. The difference is we have Klopp and we need to trust the process.

The alternative is becoming state owned or a Boehly situation and I want neither.

Over the next two season we will need to replace Matip, Robertson and Thiago and probably Endo. Salah may go and Van Dijk's minutes might be reduced also. Some legends on that list but it is not as daunting as it looked in May. 

2 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Over the next two season we will need to replace Matip, Robertson and Thiago and probably Endo. Salah may go and Van Dijk's minutes might be reduced also. Some legends on that list but it is not as daunting as it looked in May. 

It's possible we won't replace thiago. If these news players know how to get on the pitch and they're good enough (assuming we get gravenberch as well), it probably takes a great deal of pressure off the midfield and maybe talking 8 or 9 as the correct number starts feeling as mad as it looks on paper. 

45 minutes ago, an tha said:

F44cJMnXEAAgQmr?format=webp&name=small

I mean....if we're picking holes in the logic....the Saudis' window doesn't end for another week anyway.  It's not over tomorrow.  Idiot. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It's possible we won't replace thiago. If these news players know how to get on the pitch and they're good enough (assuming we get gravenberch as well), it probably takes a great deal of pressure off the midfield and maybe talking 8 or 9 as the correct number starts feeling as mad as it looks on paper. 

Agree with that. Unless we move someone like Jones on I can't see many added to that midfield. They'll hope Clark,Morton can be the players to fill that 7/8th place

We will have 

Szoboszlai 

Mac Callister 

Gravenberch 

Jones

Elliot

Endo

Bajectic 

Big issue again will be the lack of home grown players. We will need to sign some players from abroad who are 18 or so so they can get the 3 years before they turn 21 to get HG status. 

The young Brazilian keeper will be one next year. So we should be targeting a young or experienced home grown veteran keeper to fill 2 places. 

One of the reasons I want us to go for Marc Guehi for next season. 

If no surprise departures, the ones who will need replacing/improving on next are Matip, Salah and probably Tsimikas and Endo. Thiago wont need replacing numerically, we have bought 3 8s this summer, who are of the age to play a lot of minutes. Plus Jones and Elliott. 

The likes of Gomez and Robertson are safe because of the length of their deals, theyll be here for a while. Unless they fancy moves themselves. 

van Dijk, its hard to say what will happen. I assume as he has been made captain, we will offer him a small extension and hell keep playing almost every game. 

Wonder if we will watch Bryan Mbeumo this year. Just turned 24 and he seems to be player improving each year. Not sure if he will ever be quite good enough. Was a absolute handful when we played them last year. Trying to think of anyone who come in for Mo long term. Lots of good left wingers around but I can't think of too Amy for the right wing. We've been linked with Nico Williams over the last years amd lately the PSV winger Johan Bakyoko who seems to have turned down Brentford to stay for another year at PSV