You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

No, since the day he's walked through the door, he's always thrown emphasis on it. As I say, more than any manager I recall. 

The only real emphasis he's consistently put on pre-season is what he considers 'his' week that used to be in Evian.

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Exactly. This week they're on right now, but any new players are clearly going to miss it. This is the week that sets them up for the season. 

It's not going to be a disaster for a couple of players to miss it, and it won't be the first time. If they do consider it a big issue then they shouldn't have scheduled it for the second week of pre-season, it's usually post tour.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

It's not going to be a disaster for a couple of players to miss it, and it won't be the first time. If they do consider it a big issue then they shouldn't have scheduled it for the second week of pre-season, it's usually post tour.

I think klopps whole point was this is the best place for it and he never get the chance to schedule it before they fuck off to stupid games. It's not tough, we knew when it was scheduled, we knew the manager wanted all his players in..just get the fucking job done. It's not like he snuck it in a week before pre-season, he's been banging on about it since march. 

You know transfers don't work like that, there's too many moving parts to expect all your work to be done that early.

Klopp certainly does.

"The better the players you want, the lesser is the desire of the other club to let him go. And that's exactly what we are prepared for.

"But it's a long window and a long pre-season and a long break in between, so we have time if we get in players tomorrow or in six or seven weeks. It is not a game-changer for me, to be honest.

"In an ideal world they all sign tomorrow and I can tell them when to be and we can start giving them the plans for the summer break but that will not likely happen."

You know transfers don't work like that, there's too many moving parts to expect all your work to be done that early.

Klopp certainly does.

Actually I think you can achieve whatever you want if you put your money down. You just don't when you do it on the cheap. Which is fine when you're in a position of strength. But we don't have that luxury, we were fucking shit last season and if we don't want this one to be shit too, we needed to move quickly. Our season could be over before the 1st international break. Well if you want to to challenge. If you're happy with 5th place CL slot, then cool, go as slow as you like. 

Yet it took Arsenal weeks to agree a deal with West Ham for Rice, and then a further two weeks to finalise the deal from the point the fee was agreed missing a week of pre-season and a pre-season game in the process.

Seems 'just putting the money down' isn't a guarantee either.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Yet it took Arsenal weeks to agree a deal with West Ham for Rice, and then a further two weeks to finalise the deal from the point the fee was agreed missing a week of pre-season and a pre-season game in the process.

Seems 'just putting the money down' isn't a guarantee either.

Arsenal's problem for some time is they didn't just put the money down. They decided to play out a load of shit in the press for weeks making offer after offer and then still ended up paying exactly what west ham wanted. I don't know what's happened over the last 2 weeks, it seems WHU didn't either because personal terms and fees were agreed ages ago. Maybe they needed to get a loan facility or something. 

We've got 2 players in on release clauses. We haven't actually negotiated a deal yet. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Arsenal's problem for some time is they didn't just out the money down. They decided to play out a load of shit in the press for weeks making offer after offer and then still ended up paying exactly what west ham wanted. I don't know what's happened over the last 2 weeks, it seems WHU didn't either because personal terms and fees were agreed ages ago. Maybe they needed to get a loan facility or something. 

We've got 2 players in on release clauses. We haven't actually negotiated a deal yet. 

So WE just put the money down then...

So WE just put the money down then...

Mac was cheap, it was easy. Dom we let newcastle try to negotiate for weeks hoping to pinch in at the end like we did with gakpo and Diaz, which could have put the deal at risk. We could have put that money down weeks ago. 

Anyway, you're arguing with the wrong bloke. All I'm saying is I wish they'd got the players in on time like klopp said he wanted. If you want to complain about him wanting to get players in for preseason, tell him. 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

He can take his 3 weeks when he is turning out for Fulham in 8 years.

I couldn't give a shit about daaarrmmanschaft.

There is no way not one of Jones, Thiago, Bajcetic are not ready for the first league game.

You’ll never win anything with kids ….

4 hours ago, aws said:

So RRT is our new ITK?  Who do you fancy for the left CB? 

So I started with google on the Uruguay team  and found Facundo González a 20yr old left footed CB who plays for Valencia, but hold your hats, Argentina has Facundo Medina a 24 yr old left footer who currently plays for Lens. He’s a CB but can also play LB ….

So based on nothing more than a couple of Google’s (which is more than I put into my scouting of Andre) I’d say let’s lob our kitty at Facundo Medina. Who’s with me ?

• Upvote 1

Trying to "replace" Fabinho is a fool's game, there just aren't many convincing options in the market for that. Instead, it makes sense finding a guaranteed and experienced starter with a different profile and a prospect DM.

Liverpool should buy Kimmich and Lavia. Kimmich would serve two purposes, one as a DM (where he excelled playing next to Thiago) and one as a RB allowing Trent to push into his faux-6 role. We could genuinely interchange Kimmich and Trent throughout games, and Kimmich's defensive nous makes up for Trent's fragility in that area.

We then bet on Lavia on becoming our starting DM over the next year. In games he needs help in we play Kimmich next to him and Mac in front (which has a promising balance of legs, tactical nous and technical ability). If we want to be more adventurous we incorporate the likes of Dom.

Kimmich is a proven winner and 27 years old, has his prime years left in him. I'd much rather spend 80M on him than somebody like Caicedo.

9 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Trying to "replace" Fabinho is a fool's game, there just aren't many convincing options in the market for that. Instead, it makes sense finding a guaranteed and experienced starter with a different profile and a prospect DM.

Liverpool should buy Kimmich and Lavia. Kimmich would serve two purposes, one as a DM (where he excelled playing next to Thiago) and one as a RB allowing Trent to push into his faux-6 role. We could genuinely interchange Kimmich and Trent throughout games, and Kimmich's defensive nous makes up for Trent's fragility in that area.

We then bet on Lavia on becoming our starting DM over the next year. In games he needs help in we play Kimmich next to him and Mac in front (which has a promising balance of legs, tactical nous and technical ability). If we want to be more adventurous we incorporate the likes of Dom.

Kimmich is a proven winner and 27 years old, has his prime years left in him. I'd much rather spend 80M on him than somebody like Caicedo.

Actually, that last line was bollocks. Caicedo would be brilliant too, and us just happening to have one of the midfielders he had an amazing season with last year makes him worth an extra 10m.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

The thing is the idea of a younger one was when none of us realised the midfield was up for sale. But I can't believe on the inside the club haven't known about this for a little while. Maybe it's what's slowed down the 3rd one as we've moved from a younger one to a more senior one. But we need to get moving and if the names they've thrown out to the press pack today are anything to go by, it doesn't look great. But we can't go through weeks of fucking about, we need to just go and get it done..

Wasn’t Gerrard only confirmed as manager there about a week ago?

Pretty sure there would not have been any interest in Hendo from Saudi before that.

Fabinho maybe we would have had an inkling.

Anyway, as you say, at least we have been looking at midfielders so should have a good idea on who’s available and at what price.

Defensive midfielder the most pressing need for me. Could get another 8 a bit later in the window.