You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

Just now, Red Shift said:

I still think that Us, City & Chelsea are hungover from last season.

I agree with that, but in Chelsea and City’s cases, they have much more depth in their squads and both played fewer games than we did.

Our drop off started before the end of last season in my opinion, which is why we failed to win the two major trophies, particularly in the CL final we weren’t firing on all cylinders, even though we probably deserved to win it.

I also think the cumulative efforts from the squad over the last four or five seasons has had a toll. You can only ask players to “go again” so many times.

• Upvote 5

42 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I mean it's funny that City go out but it just makes it more probable that Utd or even Newcastle will win the cup.

Everything is shite at the minute.

I'm on a WhatsApp group with mates from Pompey who hate the scummers and I had to agree that I wanted City to win there for that very reason. God I hope Forest manage to win it. FFS fuck this season 

17 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

I still think that Us, City & Chelsea are hungover from last season.

I wouldn't include Chelsea in that, they are a basket case of a club with a mad scatter gun approach to transfers. They have massively overpaid on bang average players and deserve to be where they are.

With us and City, I think we're both suffering from playing at such a high level of football that was always going to be unsustainable. 

I genuinely think Arsenal will win the league as they look fresher and hungrier than City. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm on a WhatsApp group with mates from Pompey who hate the scummers and I had to agree that I wanted City to win there for that very reason. God I hope Forest manage to win it. FFS fuck this season 

Nah. Nothing but celebrations that City are out. Those cheats equalled our League Cup record once and I'm glad they're not going to do it again this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Glad City are out and as much as I’d like to see a Southampton - Forest final from here, hopefully Man Utd can stop Newcastle if the probable happens.

I can't quite believe what I'm reading here, you would want Man Utd to win a final vs Newcastle?

What possible reason could you have for that?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

I can't quite believe what I'm reading here, you would want Man Utd to win a final vs Newcastle?

What possible reason could you have for that?

In order of the teams left in it I'd want

1. Southampton 2.Forest. 3. United. 4. Newcastle.

If Newcastle win it, it will be heralded as some magnificent achievement, the start of a new era of success, parallels with Chelsea and City etc.

18 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

If Newcastle win it, it will be heralded as some magnificent achievement, the start of a new era of success, parallels with Chelsea and City etc.

Fuck that.

I would rather anyone win anything than Man Utd. Everton might come into it if they weren't utter dogshit.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Mook said:

Fuck that.

I would rather anyone win anything than Man Utd. Everton might come into it if they weren't utter dogshit.

Yeah, saying "I hope Everton don't win a trophy" is a bit like saying "I hope that pissy old tramp who hangs around Bargain Booze doesn't marry Natalie Portman".

3 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wouldn't include Chelsea in that, they are a basket case of a club with a mad scatter gun approach to transfers. They have massively overpaid on bang average players and deserve to be where they are.

With us and City, I think we're both suffering from playing at such a high level of football that was always going to be unsustainable. 

I genuinely think Arsenal will win the league as they look fresher and hungrier than City. 

Arsenal basically are doing now, what we did last season - capitalising on an ordinary previous season where we were knocked out of everything and just gave 100% to top four in the Covid season. With Us, City & Chelsea all complacent, it’s left a power vacuum.

Unfortunately I have this horrible gnawing sensation in my stomach that Arsenal will capitulate to United. Ten Haag apparently has the best win rate of any manager at the start of his tenure, or something similar. Anyway he’s sitting on well over a 70% win rate. I’ve got a couple of work mates who are Utd fans, and I know 3 other people on a professional basis who are also the same.

What do they all have in common? A quiet confidence that everything is changing for them and they are the dark horses.

Like I say….makes me feel ill.

7 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Arsenal basically are doing now, what we did last season - capitalising on an ordinary previous season where we were knocked out of everything and just gave 100% to top four in the Covid season. With Us, City & Chelsea all complacent, it’s left a power vacuum.

Unfortunately I have this horrible gnawing sensation in my stomach that Arsenal will capitulate to United. Ten Haag apparently has the best win rate of any manager at the start of his tenure, or something similar. Anyway he’s sitting on well over a 70% win rate. I’ve got a couple of work mates who are Utd fans, and I know 3 other people on a professional basis who are also the same.

What do they all have in common? A quiet confidence that everything is changing for them and they are the dark horses.

It's starting to worry me too.

They seem to win every fucking game. Their next three fixtures are home to City, away to Palace & away to Arsenal. If they get through that lot without a defeat then we have a serious Man Utd shaped problem. I reckon the league cup is in the  bag already.

With us going to shit, the next five months are going to feel like the 90s again & I don't mean Baywatch & alcopops.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Red Shift said:

The Solskjaer years were a very special time. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mook said:

It's starting to worry me too.

They seem to win every fucking game. Their next three fixtures are home to City, away to Palace & away to Arsenal. If they get through that lot without a defeat then we have a serious Man Utd shaped problem. I reckon the league cup is in the  bag already.

With us going to shit, the next five months are going to feel like the 90s again & I don't mean Baywatch & alcopops.

We all knew it was coming as soon as they got a competent manager who they would give time to.  Us completely imploding is what makes it even worse though.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I'd be in agreement with this. Southampton have never done anything to offend me. Forest 2nd just because they're not the other 2. Utd 3rd because it will just be a photo op for them and move swiftly on. Newcastle winning it will be repulsive. Open bus job, fuck that. Relatively speaking they haven't spent the levels that were expected (still the biggest spenders in the world in 2022) and will use this to shape a narrative. 

8 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Utd have had a run of fixtures similar to the ones that led to Solksjaer getting the job. Home games against West Ham, Bournemouth and Forest and away games at Fulham and Wolves. They lost away at Villa and drew at Chelsea before that run. They have padded the stats with some very handy cup draws against Everton, Villa, Charlton and Burnley. They are improved and have momentum but they're still a poor side, City will beat them easy.

• Upvote 1

I never thought I would see Liverpool supporters take Man Utd over Newcastle.

When tens of thousands of Newcastle supporters sing about Hillsborough for years on end every other week, I might be inclined to join you but for now, fuck Man Utd sky high.

I hope the horrible cunts go out of business.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5