You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

174 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

Raw talent refers to a skill, gift, or ability that someone possesses of which they have not acquired, learned, or received formal training in its use.

In other words, "I will get all of his talent out of him because that's what I'm good at" 

Fuck all to do with Haaland or any other player but it's nice to know we've got a new whipping boy for the best fans in the world to hammer despite him not playing a full 90 minutes of football for us and having already scored a few key goals. 

Amazing. 

• Upvote 6

The comparison with Haaland is pretty silly. Haaland was already proven world class long before City signed him. He's been known about for years. He scored against us in the CL when he was 19 or something and was considered one of the best young players in Europe (wish we bough him instead of Minamino after that Salzburg game). Nunez on the other hand was still playing in Uruguay until a couple of years ago. Still something of an unknown quantity but has shown his potential with Benfica. He will absolutely come good. He' won't be as good as Haaland but then no current forward of that age bracket will. As long as Nunez bangs in the goals for us (and he will) regularly he'll justify his price tag, and people will get off his back. I'm actually bemused that he's got so much criticism after just 2 or 3 games for us. It's ridiculous.

• Upvote 7

48 minutes ago, Baltar said:

The comparison with Haaland is pretty silly. Haaland was already proven world class long before City signed him. He's been known about for years. He scored against us in the CL when he was 19 or something and was considered one of the best young players in Europe (wish we bough him instead of Minamino after that Salzburg game). Nunez on the other hand was still playing in Uruguay until a couple of years ago. Still something of an unknown quantity but has shown his potential with Benfica. He will absolutely come good. He' won't be as good as Haaland but then no current forward of that age bracket will. As long as Nunez bangs in the goals for us (and he will) regularly he'll justify his price tag, and people will get off his back. I'm actually bemused that he's got so much criticism after just 2 or 3 games for us. It's ridiculous.

Yeah, but did you see that cross?

On 22/09/2022 at 04:45, 3 Stacks said:

The fans will never like him, it's over. 

The clocks haven't even gone back yet...

I would like him to get the ball deep and run with it.  A few successful drives can lift the gloom.

I am sure there's more to him than what we've seen so far.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

All I want to see from him for now is clean strikes of the ball. I'm not bothered if they are saved or just go wide but for his nerves or eagerness to settle down enough that he begins to strike the ball effectively consistently. The rest can follow.

That's what I was saying about moments that you can pin something too. Doesn't have to be goals (goals are the thing I'm least worried about with him) it just has to be moments that show a bit of belief either in himself or the process.

Don't get frustrated by a defender niggling at you, laugh it off demand the ball and beat him, if nothing comes of it fine, demand the ball again and do it again. A few more clean strikes of the ball. Anything.

Want to see him be more proactive rather than reactive and less grimacing or looking to the skies when it doesn't go his way.

16 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

You don't have time for raw players when you're not winning games.

I agree with that but that isn't the lads fault though.

Robertson was really really raw when we bought him and barely played in the first few months. Didn't matter cause we were winning games. 

It all adds to the argument that we should have done more from a position of strength. Then we could be giving him 20-30 mins here at the end of games and while people maybe concerned he wouldn't be getting the crap he is now. 

Now he often has to be played and he comes into a team that is often not in control, different players playing in midfield every week and is very inconsistent in its play. Even Torres had a settled midfield behind him and a good length preseason behind him to get used to the patterns. 

Does he look the part. No, not yet. Does he look like he is trying, for me, definetly. For that reason I will give him plenty of time while placing my annoyance with the club for not playing him more in preseason with Mo and Diaz to get him used to his teammates and not doing more with the midfield which frankly is undermining all other aspects at the moment imo.

5 hours ago, razor said:

The clocks haven't even gone back yet...

I would like him to get the ball deep and run with it.  A few successful drives can lift the gloom.

I am sure there's more to him than what we've seen so far.

tenor.gif

40 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I agree with that but that isn't the lads fault though.

Robertson was really really raw when we bought him and barely played in the first few months. Didn't matter cause we were winning games. 

It all adds to the argument that we should have done more from a position of strength. Then we could be giving him 20-30 mins here at the end of games and while people maybe concerned he wouldn't be getting the crap he is now. 

Now he often has to be played and he comes into a team that is often not in control, different players playing in midfield every week and is very inconsistent in its play. Even Torres had a settled midfield behind him and a good length preseason behind him to get used to the patterns. 

Does he look the part. No, not yet. Does he look like he is trying, for me, definetly. For that reason I will give him plenty of time while placing my annoyance with the club for not playing him more in preseason with Mo and Diaz to get him used to his teammates and not doing more with the midfield which frankly is undermining all other aspects at the moment imo.

The midfield has always been the most rotated department of the team under Klopp so if we're relying on a settled midfield three he might be in for a wait.

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The midfield has always been the most rotated department of the team under Klopp so if we're relying on a settled midfield three he might be in for a wait.

Oh please, the midfield is a shitshow now. 

We didn't rotate anywhere near as much as we have to now. 2 seasons ago you knew it what it would be pretty much every game because the players were durable enough and in the right age bracket to play 3 times  a week. 

Then while players have aged, some have naturally become more prone to injury and replacements have either not been sought or have been injury prone themselves. 

Therefore prior to this season most rotation of first choice 3 came about because either we darent risk them being injured or it was enforced. 

This season, like the old injury prone players they are becoming, they have either missed games or been ineffective when starting.

The club just didn't proactively manage the issue from that position of strength 2 years ago. How did that happen when the medical team have expressed concerns since 2019 with asking the same group to go again and again and (in accordance with the article you posted the other day) the scouting and recruitment team are forever looking at each position and thinking "how could this be improved?" It only points at one area and it isn't Jurgen "marginal gains" Klopp

18 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Fans always take a scattergun approach when things aren’t going well. I’m surprised the tea lady hasn’t been blamed for something yet, and as for the fucker who supplies the PED’s, where’s he been lately???

Have you seen the waiting times to see a GP, not easy to get all those inhaler prescriptions signed off.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Fans always take a scattergun approach when things aren’t going well. I’m surprised the tea lady hasn’t been blamed for something yet, and as for the fucker who supplies the PED’s, where’s he been lately???

They do, albeit I don't think a lack of investment in a crucial area of the pitch will be blamed on the tea lady anytime soon

• Upvote 1

Give the lad time....he hasn't played a full 90 minute game for us yet FFS.

I am skeptical personally and voted against signing him in the poll here - but he is here now and he needs time, he's in a new league, in what is currently a team not firing properly suffering from lot's of problems, he has hardly played (his own fault of course a bug chunk of that fact) and he has no rhythm/real understanding yet of his team mates or them of him.

Hopefully the lad is a success and proves me/others wrong - I do feel the pile on generally on this lad is OTT (not necessarily here but across social media and seemingly in the fan base generally)

• Upvote 2