You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arsenal (A) - CC Semi Final 2nd (not 1st!) leg, Thu 20th Jan 2022 (7:45pm)

Trumo

Glen Hoddle and Danny Mills weighing in saying the EFL shouldnt have postponed the game and should abide by their own rules while Mills says the U23s should have been played.

I really cant be arsed with these 2 cunts. The EFL did abide by its rules and the U23s cant play if there arent enough of them never mind if there's no coaches.

We really should have fucked them all off and gone all in the Euro League.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Glen Hoddle and Danny Mills weighing in saying the EFL shouldnt have postponed the game and should abide by their own rules while Mills says the U23s should have been played.

I really cant be arsed with these 2 cunts. The EFL did abide by its rules and the U23s cant play if there arent enough of them never mind if there's no coaches.

I hate the idea of the Super League Docker but wonder how hillarious will it be for others in 15 or 20 years when Arsenal are going 30 odd years without a title, United 25 odd years and clubs like Spurs just hoping to get Europa League. Everton becoming more a yesterday man by the year. It was all hillarious for them when City and Chelsea were winning titles.

I mean United have spent a lot of money just badly, but fair to say that unless something changes in the coming years, the title is more likely to be contested by Chelsea, City and Newcastle. It will take a Jurgen like manager to upset the apple cart but I think it will get very boring fast for fans of the tradionally huge clubs.

21 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I hate the idea of the Super League Docker but wonder how hillarious will it be for others in 15 or 20 years when Arsenal are going 30 odd years without a title, United 25 odd years and clubs like Spurs just hoping to get Europa League. Everton becoming more a yesterday man by the year. It was all hillarious for them when City and Chelsea were winning titles.

I mean United have spent a lot of money just badly, but fair to say that unless something changes in the coming years, the title is more likely to be contested by Chelsea, City and Newcastle. It will take a Jurgen like manager to upset the apple cart but I think it will get very boring fast for fans of the tradionally huge clubs.

On one hand you could say that the likes of Germany/France/Spain/Italy/Netherlands/Portugal have a handful of teams that win almost every league title and nobody in the governing bodies has made any effort to stop that in the same of fairness so they probably won't do anything about the Premier league as long as they keep getting paid. 

But most of those trophies are won by the traditional big clubs, what's happening in the Premier league isn't really the same as the others, until liepzig start overtaking bayern or a middle Eastern billionaire buys valencia and they dominate Spain then who knows how long it'll take for the penny to drop and how much damage to the sport will be done by then before they actually take action. 

1 minute ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Extremely conceivable this, a world where City and Chelsea are closing in on 19 & 6 depressed just thinking about it. When this scenario starts playing out in Europe we’ll see the backlash. Real, Barcelona and Bayern won’t stand by while the petro clubs hoover up European Cups season after season. The authorities bottled it and don’t give a shit about sporting integrity so it’s only a matter of time before another ESL type idea is mooted, I know you and many others hate it but surely it’s inevitable? I’ll be begging for it.

6 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

And yet both were amazingly quiet when Spurs and Leeds had games postponed because of covid. 

36 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

And yet both were amazingly quiet when Spurs and Leeds had games postponed because of covid. 

And when Newcastle’s best 2 players, Wilson and St Maximin get injured, they have an overnight outbreak of Covid and get their match postponed (providing breathing space for recovery and incoming transfers) nobody says a word. 

2 hours ago, DaveT said:

And when Newcastle’s best 2 players, Wilson and St Maximin get injured, they have an overnight outbreak of Covid and get their match postponed (providing breathing space for recovery and incoming transfers) nobody says a word. 

Hypocritical shitebags...I love the fact that we are boiling piss all over the place.

17 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I was sat next table across from two balloons when I was having lunch the other day and they were really arguing about Messi and Rapey Ron.

Most Balloon Doors this, most headed goals off a fringe that was in the House of Aquarius at the time that etc, you get the idea.

This went on for ages and they sounded like absolute clowns as they were getting really loud and agitated with each other

I'd wager that neither had ever watched a full game of football in their life as they didn't mention a single individual goal or thing from a game.

Shoulda just walked over and said "Il Fenomeno", and walked away.

5 minutes ago, Lario said:

Shoulda just walked over and said "Il Fenomeno", and walked away.

They were about 17/19 and having lunch with their collective parents by the looks of things.

The dad kept trying to interject with ‘Ronaldinho, now there was a player. His goal against…’ type stuff only to be met with ‘yeah, but how many did he score in a calendar year?’

You could tell under his breath he was mouthing ‘stupid little cunts, massive, massive disappointments’ and he’d be right.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They were about 17/19 and having lunch with their collective parents by the looks of things.

The dad kept trying to interject with ‘Ronaldinho, now there was a player. His goal against…’ type stuff only to be met with ‘yeah, but how many did he score in a calendar year?’

You could tell under his breath he was mouthing ‘stupid little cunts, massive, massive disappointments’ and he’d be right.

No hope for the younger generation.

Still can't get over how there's nothing whatsoever about Ronaldo being all rapey (he's even being used by Sky in their PL adverts!), whereas Suarez was pretty much run out of the country for biting.

Edit: Ronaldinho wasn't half bad either to be fair.

It genuinely feels like liverpool the city and its people have become one of the last things you can direct absolute hate and venom at, speak lies and basically say the most disgusting things without being cancelled so it's a big piley on for all the hate filled fuckers who no longer get to say racist or homophobic shit. 

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It genuinely feels like liverpool the city and its people have become one of the last things you can direct absolute hate and venom at, speak lies and basically say the most disgusting things without being cancelled so it's a big piley on for all the hate filled fuckers who no longer get to say racist or homophobic shit. 

Been like this for years, nothing will change. Ignorance and jealousy.

9 hours ago, Aventus said:

On one hand you could say that the likes of Germany/France/Spain/Italy/Netherlands/Portugal have a handful of teams that win almost every league title and nobody in the governing bodies has made any effort to stop that in the same of fairness so they probably won't do anything about the Premier league as long as they keep getting paid. 

But most of those trophies are won by the traditional big clubs, what's happening in the Premier league isn't really the same as the others, until liepzig start overtaking bayern or a middle Eastern billionaire buys valencia and they dominate Spain then who knows how long it'll take for the penny to drop and how much damage to the sport will be done by then before they actually take action. 

Spot on. I think in this country, others didn't kick up a fuss and might not for a few years. Tottenham fans might hate Chelsea, but were somewhat happy for them to knock Arsenal off their perch. Everyone was happy for City and Chelsea to do that to United - I was guilty of that if I'm being honest. Likewise, few non-Liverpool fans in this country were too bothered when City stopped us winning the title in 2014 and 2019. It was basically a right laugh for them.

The penny will start dropping when United and Arsenal become even less of a relevance and the other big clubs drop further down the ladder. 

8 hours ago, Halcyon Days said:

Extremely conceivable this, a world where City and Chelsea are closing in on 19 & 6 depressed just thinking about it. When this scenario starts playing out in Europe we’ll see the backlash. Real, Barcelona and Bayern won’t stand by while the petro clubs hoover up European Cups season after season. The authorities bottled it and don’t give a shit about sporting integrity so it’s only a matter of time before another ESL type idea is mooted, I know you and many others hate it but surely it’s inevitable? I’ll be begging for it.

I don't like the ESL because I like a world where a Derby can win the league or PSV or Celtic can win a European Cup. I suppose I need to face reality that those days are long gone (yeah I know Leicester a few years ago) and an ESL is better than City, Chelsea and Newcastle winning the league every year and us fighting for scraps.

23 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I don't like the ESL because I like a world where a Derby can win the league or PSV or Celtic can win a European Cup. I suppose I need to face reality that those days are long gone (yeah I know Leicester a few years ago) and an ESL is better than City, Chelsea and Newcastle winning the league every year and us fighting for scraps.

Leicester were the exception that proved the modern day rule. Magnificent achievement, but it only happened because they were knocked out of the cups early, had hardly any injuries - and most importantly, the big money clubs were in a bit of a lull, before re-grouping (i.e. spending a fortune) and disappearing off over the horizon. They won it with a paltry 81 points, ffs! We managed to muscle in, mainly thanks to Klopp.

I remember competing for titles with the likes of QPR ('76?), Watford, Derby, Forest..... clubs that were competing of the back of pure managerial ability and clever, but not necessarily extravagant transfer dealings.

Now, a billion pound investment gets you titles, plus an infrastructure to sustain that success. That will be Newcastle in about 4 years and the likes of us, Spurs, Arsenal, even ManU, clubs that choose to live within their means, will become also-rans. The whole thing is becoming increasingly more pointless. If I feel that way, supporting a club with one of the biggest fan bases in the world and top 10 (5?) for revenue, what must it be like to support mid- and lower-table teams who seem to exist only in order to .....exist? They mostly field weakened teams in cup competitions so that they can focus on staying in the Premier League....... and getting thrashed by City. 

Whislt the closed-shop nature of the ESL was a massive own goal, the media in its entirety overlooked one of the objectives, which was to put in place tighter controls on the spending of City, Chelsea and the like, which UEFA failed so miserably to do. Now, they and Newcastle, have a feee hand to do what they like. 

Fuck me, I'm a miserable git this morning, but 18 months of shielding (my wife is immunocompromised) and not being able to use my season ticket - plus the general state of football - can have that effect.

• Upvote 3

I don’t think we should’ve asked for a postponement. Instead we should’ve just told the EFL about the situation and let them decide.

If they decided ”play!” we should field a team consisting of whoever was available from the U23, U21 and even U19 teams.  We’d probably get beat by 5 or 6 goals and could graciously congratulate Arsenal for their glorious achievement.

If, on the other hand, the EFL decided not to piss on their own tournament, the postponement would be all on them.

We need to leave the cups alone anyway. We’re forced to prioritize, as we already do, the PL and the CL. Let the oil clubs share the cups between them. They’ll be the only ones who can afford having strong enough squads to compete in these competitions. We should use the cups as a welcome practice for our youths, nothing more.

37 minutes ago, DaveT said:

Leicester were the exception that proved the modern day rule. Magnificent achievement, but it only happened because they were knocked out of the cups early, had hardly any injuries - and most importantly, the big money clubs were in a bit of a lull, before re-grouping (i.e. spending a fortune) and disappearing off over the horizon. They won it with a paltry 81 points, ffs! We managed to muscle in, mainly thanks to Klopp.

I remember competing for titles with the likes of QPR ('76?), Watford, Derby, Forest..... clubs that were competing of the back of pure managerial ability and clever, but not necessarily extravagant transfer dealings.

Now, a billion pound investment gets you titles, plus an infrastructure to sustain that success. That will be Newcastle in about 4 years and the likes of us, Spurs, Arsenal, even ManU, clubs that choose to live within their means, will become also-rans. The whole thing is becoming increasingly more pointless. If I feel that way, supporting a club with one of the biggest fan bases in the world and top 10 (5?) for revenue, what must it be like to support mid- and lower-table teams who seem to exist only in order to .....exist? They mostly field weakened teams in cup competitions so that they can focus on staying in the Premier League....... and getting thrashed by City. 

Whislt the closed-shop nature of the ESL was a massive own goal, the media in its entirety overlooked one of the objectives, which was to put in place tighter controls on the spending of City, Chelsea and the like, which UEFA failed so miserably to do. Now, they and Newcastle, have a feee hand to do what they like. 

Fuck me, I'm a miserable git this morning, but 18 months of shielding (my wife is immunocompromised) and not being able to use my season ticket - plus the general state of football - can have that effect.

Leicester were hardly paupers either. They'd had a massive cash injection around that time too. They also had a world class manager who they were paying handsomely too. It was no fairytale.

47 minutes ago, DaveT said:

That omission was not accidental - a lot of idiotic people without the capacity for long-term thought think it’s just wonderful to have such clubs ‘breaking up the cabal’.

38 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

That omission was not accidental - a lot of idiotic people without the capacity for long-term thought think it’s just wonderful to have such clubs ‘breaking up the cabal’.

Of course it wasn't accidental but I don't think the English clubs expected the backlash. For me if they had made it possible for other clubs to gain entrance via promotion or relegation I would have been all for it. I lost sentimentality for the prem once they conveniently began to ignore FFP and then added the shite VAR interpretors.

I think there's was a lot of misinformation, mainly put out by fat samuel and the rest of the sports media over the Euro League.

It was never posited as a replacement to domestic leagues. This was a figment of samuel and co's imagination. The league was to replace UEFA's Champions League which also incidentally, UEFA was discussing having no relegation for certain European clubs.

The league was to launch with a number of clubs initially with a small number of annual qualifiers to boost the numbers. It wasnt the closed shop samuel and co proposed.

The big failing of the Euro League is they didnt publish or explain their proposals for launch and expansion clearly or expansively enough. But it's water under the bridge now.

I respect people's views like Ronnie who dont like the idea but in my view, it was an opportunity to right a lot of current wrongs in football and for clubs to be in charge instead of a bunch of administrators who dont give a fuck about the players and, more importantly, the fans.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

Is the Shrewsbury game likely to go ahead?

Our Under 18's game has been postponed, which suggests that we might be putting out a lot of young players, plus the covid free senior players.  

Or we might not be able to field a full U18 side for their games due to covid!

• dave u changed the title to Arsenal (A) - CC Semi Final 2nd (not 1st!) leg, Thu 20th Jan 2022 (7:45pm)