You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Top 5 really boring musical acts everyone buzzes off

Chris

6 hours ago, Mook said:

I completely agree with all of that & that's exactly what I meant in my initial post about them.

Take this clip for example, it sounds like a bunch of 15 year olds who can't really play their instruments yet having their second ever rehearsal.

Personally, I'd be chuffed if I could sound like that in my second rehearsal, but I understand what you mean. They chose to play like that though. If you listen to this Lou Reed track five years earlier you can see his ability to write a conventional pop song...

The point of The Velvets was to strip back all the obsession with music theory and just play how you feel. The guitars were tuned to drones, Mo Tucker mostly played a floor tom and a snare. It was anti-music, but it wasn't that way because none of them could play. "I'm gonna move right in" shows off Morrison's skills as a guitar player. John Cale produced many great records - like the first Stooges record. They had talent, they just chose to express themselves in that way. You might like Loaded more than the other records if you don't like the atonal stuff. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, stringvest said:

Lennon was done by 1971.  Everything else he produced after that was terrible.  Same with George.  Living In The Material World in 1973 was weak, but it remains the last listenable album he produced.  McCartney went longer than them both in terms of producing music of any merit. 

There's truth to what you're saying, but Band on the Run and Ram aren't as good as Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, in my opinion. Both of them fizzled out by 1973 for the most part. If The Beatles stayed together for another four years, the albums they would've produced would've been extraordinary.

I just like Lennon more because his music is more intense. Lennon would've given McCartney more edge, and McCartney would've given Lennon's music a more polished tapestry of sound. The two of them complimented each other so well. I accept that McCartney had greater longevity, but Lennon had a much higher peak - in my opinion, of course.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, stringvest said:

Apart from Give Ireland Back To The Irish?  McCartney's solo output is actually not pure gush, certainly not compared with the drippy shite like 'Love' that Lennon wrote.  

I've no skin in the game here, apart from my unrivalled knowledge of the Beatles  not allowing me to read cliched stuff like that without comment.  

I think that when it comes to The Beatles that like a certain sports team we all follow,their combined talent was/is phenomenally better than their individual merits. In my view at least.

On 13/11/2021 at 21:32, Red74 said:

Rocket Man

Saturday Nights alright 

Your song

are his 3 greats. The rest wouldn’t make me wanna stand and watch him play them for 3 hours. 

Better interviewee than singer for me. Reckon he’d be brilliant company on a night out tho. Defo on my list for my imaginary dinner table night.

I'm not a big fan of Reg but "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" is lyrically and musically superb. His problem is that, like a lot of musical artists once they hit a certain age, the quality dips alarmingly.  

17 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think that when it comes to The Beatles that like a certain sports team we all follow,their combined talent was/is phenomenally better than their individual merits. In my view at least.

Spot on. There was nobody to reign in the ego's once they all went solo. Lennon released just the one (admittedly brilliant) solo album in Plastic Ono Band, Harrison released a triple album (the biggest ego trip in the game) and McCartney brought out simplistic nonsense like Mull of Kintyre and The Frog Chorus. Their post Beatles careers were definitely more miss than hit.      

11 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

I'm not a big fan of Reg but "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" is lyrically and musically superb. His problem is that, like a lot of musical artists once they hit a certain age, the quality dips alarmingly.  

The well runs dry too, you can't expect songwriters to keep coming out with classic songs and albums, decade after decade.

They're all only human.

On 14/11/2021 at 09:03, stringvest said:

Lennon was done by 1971.  Everything else he produced after that was terrible.  Same with George.  Living In The Material World in 1973 was weak, but it remains the last listenable album he produced.  McCartney went longer than them both in terms of producing music of any merit. 

When did he do working class hero,watching the wheels,jealous guy,mind games and imagine?

Genuine question as everyone one of them was suoerb.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

Watching the Wheels was 1980, the rest were all on Imagine or before, so 70-71.

Didnt he have a break for about about 5 years?

If I had to choose ,I'd prefer Lennon's work but like everyone has said,they were better as a collective unit.

Working class hero and watching the wheels are massively underrated imho.

Lennon's work was definitely more challenging and personal (god,mother,jealous guy etc)while McCartneys seemed more radio friendly. 

Probably why they worked so well together,they got a mixture of the 2.