You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

On 04/08/2022 at 17:48, dockers_strike said:

So, stop being a tit all your life like the 50 year old narcissist who just sits in an office all day posting on here when he should be working.

Think you’re confusing CT with me, there.

Kinell.

Energy bills are forecast to top £4,200 in January as the strain on household finances continues to escalate.

The energy price cap is set to rise by more than £650 by January, meaning a typical household will pay the equivalent of £4,266 a year in the first quarter, according to the latest predictions from Cornwall Insight.

Forecasts for the October cap have also seen a rise, going up by over £200, with predictions for an average bill now sitting at £3,582.

Cornwall Insight said the latest increase in forecasts reflects the recent rise in wholesale prices, as well as a change in the way Ofgem calculates the price cap.

The regulator has adjusted its formula to allow suppliers to recover more of the costs of higher wholesale prices – ensuring fewer companies collapse but pushing up prices further for consumers.

Dr Craig Lowrey at Cornwall Insight said it may be time to reconsider the price cap, adding: “After all, if it is not controlling consumer prices, and is damaging suppliers’ business models, we must wonder if it is fit for purpose – especially in these times of unprecedented energy market conditions.”

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Kinell.

Energy bills are forecast to top £4,200 in January as the strain on household finances continues to escalate.

The energy price cap is set to rise by more than £650 by January, meaning a typical household will pay the equivalent of £4,266 a year in the first quarter, according to the latest predictions from Cornwall Insight.

Forecasts for the October cap have also seen a rise, going up by over £200, with predictions for an average bill now sitting at £3,582.

Cornwall Insight said the latest increase in forecasts reflects the recent rise in wholesale prices, as well as a change in the way Ofgem calculates the price cap.

The regulator has adjusted its formula to allow suppliers to recover more of the costs of higher wholesale prices – ensuring fewer companies collapse but pushing up prices further for consumers.

Dr Craig Lowrey at Cornwall Insight said it may be time to reconsider the price cap, adding: “After all, if it is not controlling consumer prices, and is damaging suppliers’ business models, we must wonder if it is fit for purpose – especially in these times of unprecedented energy market conditions.”

Meanwhile boris johnson doesn't think its worth cutting his holiday short to address the impending time bomb

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Meanwhile boris johnson doesn't think its worth cutting his holiday short to address the impending time bomb

What's even more worse is the two clowns that will be foistered on us without a GE have even less of a clue what to do when one of them takes over in a matter of weeks.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

What's even more worse is the two clowns that will be foistered on us without a GE have even less of a clue what to do when one of them takes over in a matter of weeks.

They'll just let people struggle, and provide meaningless thoughts and wishes while people die or commit suicide. The people in need are not people they give a shit about.  The people they give a shit about wont be affected by this.

Best we can hope for is mass civil unrest meaning they have to act, but with the draconian legislation in force I wouldn't count on that happening. Maybe a general strike.

• Upvote 1

Drivers for wholesale prices;

EU storage - slowing but still above average for this time of year

Pipeline - annual maintenance slowing flow - whilst this is planned it still pushes prices up. Risk of Russia pulling the plug keeping prices high

LNG - explosion at Freeport LNG terminal in US impacting deliveries

French nuclear - annual planned maintenance and drought impacting output 

Geopolitical - I don’t need to explain that one. 

24 minutes ago, Anubis said:

They'll just let people struggle, and provide meaningless thoughts and wishes while people die or commit suicide. The people in need are not people they give a shit about.  The people they give a shit about wont be affected by this.

Best we can hope for is mass civil unrest meaning they have to act, but with the draconian legislation in force I wouldn't count on that happening. Maybe a general strike.

8C9B065E-8F2A-4D99-85A2-BA8B8C3CDB46.jpeg

• Upvote 3

36 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Wow. Should have voted for Jeremy Corbyn.

Yup.

JSA rate for a single person is £77pw. That's £4004 pa.

Rumoured January price capis £4200...but it's a bad idea not to pay???

Get those pitchforks ready people.

If any working class or unemployed person still votes Tory after this scandal / crisis / robbery then they need labotomizing.

£4,200 rising to £4,400 in April, fucking hell! I don't expect it to stop there, given that every week the suggestion is it's going up and up. It's an absolutely extraordinary and miserable situation. Even as someone relatively comfortable, this is going to have a big impact on us. Having recently had a baby, my wife is due to return to work in the next school year and we're both hoping to drop to part time hours to spend more time with the little one and get some semblance of a better work-life balance.

We'll still be earning 75% of our pre-baby income between us and have worked out that we'll do ok with the odd sacrifice, which is no hardship really. We'd budgeted for a doubling in fuel costs (ignoring any government support) but for it to then triple is demoralising. We've been paying £200 a month since April, literally double what we paid last year. 

This, coupled with the extortionate cost of childcare in the UK will account for something like a third of our take home income, it's staggering and I can't even begin to think about the impact this will have on people. At least I can always take my hours back up, that'll plug some of the gap.

The government has to step in here, people will die if not.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Yup.

JSA rate for a single person is £77pw. That's £4004 pa.

Rumoured January price capis £4200...but it's a bad idea not to pay???

Get those pitchforks ready people.

If any working class or unemployed person still votes Tory after this scandal / crisis / robbery then they need labotomizing.

Mentioned this yesterday but had a quick look at the BBC comments page yesterday and there were numerous comments along the lines of could have been corbyn/its the faults of the immigrants/being poor is a choice etc

35 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Drivers for wholesale prices;

EU storage - slowing but still above average for this time of year

Pipeline - annual maintenance slowing flow - whilst this is planned it still pushes prices up. Risk of Russia pulling the plug keeping prices high

LNG - explosion at Freeport LNG terminal in US impacting deliveries

French nuclear - annual planned maintenance and drought impacting output 

Geopolitical - I don’t need to explain that one. 

Probably need to explain all of them for the likes of Gnasher tbh.

I think something will happen, it has to, but any announcement will be held until a new PM is in place.

Truss (probably) will be looking to maximise any political capital that is to be gained from this. A bounce in popularity that will be needed to minimise the damage when it inevitably goes to shit due to her being a complete moron. 

I can't get my head around the system in operation in the UK. In Ireland we appear to pay way less than the figures mentioned here and we import most of our gas from the UK. 

The one I have attached has been adjusted because they read the meter and over estimated the previous months. This is also significantly more expensive than it had been but its no where near £4000.

I used gas for cooking, heating and water.

SmartSelect_20220809-123342_Samsung Notes.jpg

18 minutes ago, No2 said:

I can't get my head around the system in operation in the UK. In Ireland we appear to pay way less than the figures mentioned here and we import most of our gas from the UK. 

The one I have attached has been adjusted because they read the meter and over estimated the previous months. This is also significantly more expensive than it had been but its no where near £4000.

It’s an estimated read so could be worth giving them an actual. 

18 minutes ago, No2 said:

I am looking at my current gas tariff, which is 7.365p per kWh. If I used the same amount of gas (1,054 kWh) as you, it would cost me £77.63, which at current exchange rate is €91.88, versus your €95.07.

My standing charge is 27.22p per day - €0.3220 compared to your €0.4258 - and VAT here is 5%, compared to your 9%.

With your discount applied, I think the costs are not outlandishly different?