You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

28 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

The burn the witch brigade are targeting legendary film maker (Cathy come home, Kes, I Daniel Blake to name a few) and committed human rights activist Ken Loach now. It appears some are upset that he's doing a speech at Oxford university.

Always loved his quote when asked if Thatcher should have a state funeral

"they should put it out for tender and give it to the lowest bidder, it's what she would have wanted" 

Starmer would go up in a few peoples estimation if he added his signature to the below. This nonsense needs to be challenged now.

Ken Loach is a living legend! I, Daniel Blake was an awesome piece of film making! I can't believe the way he is being targeted!

5 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Ken Loach is a living legend! I, Daniel Blake was an awesome piece of film making! I can't believe the way he is being targeted!

Called a holocaust denier there. You simply can not be in the public eye an criticise Israel over Palestine. 

Ken Loach (Like Corbyn) is a thoroughly decent human being. Unlike those cunts targeting him/them with lies. 

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

Radio or TV mate? Genuine question as I didn't know. I like reading his column in one of the Sunday's (The Mirror I think).

Radio. He goes to towns all over the country. I went to the recording of the Birkenhead one a few years ago. It was held in the centre of iniquity and privilege that is Birkenhead School, and of course he made a crack about having to set foot inside a fee-paying school.

28 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Radio. He goes to towns all over the country. I went to the recording of the Birkenhead one a few years ago. It was held in the centre of iniquity and privilege that is Birkenhead School, and of course he made a crack about having to set foot inside a fee-paying school.

Is that where the beeb claim to have equal representation from left and right? Farage prime time, Zarah Sultana (or similar) 4am on BBC radio Norwich.

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, but if diehards who didn't turn out last time, for whatever reason, then we can see percentage/incremental gains/loses.

I was looking forward to them and think he was on something of a good path, but now I'm not sure, we'll see I guess.

I agree, losing so many seats does weaken the potential candidates, especially as some, who were elected, were fast tracked and will offer little as they're still green, or without a country, so to speak.

Not a great place to be in.

I don't think that's just a labour thing it's a politics thing, this Tory party is the worst collection of intellectual and moral flotsam in its history. Don't know much about the other parties, Lucas seems sound, the SNP bloke looks like someone from an 80s Skol advert.

2 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

Be interesting to see how many times Mark Steel has been invited onto the BBC to comment compared to Toby Young.

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Mark Steel has his own BBC show.

So he doesn't that often get invited on to comment seeing as Steels show is one based on the local area he has visited and not political whereas Toby Young is constantly wheeled out on actual TV as well as Radio to comment on political things. 

Just for clarity there. 

He has appeared regularly on Have I Got News For You, on Room 101, Mock the Week, the Graham Norton Show, and made several appearances on Question Time. Mark Steel's in Town has won a Sony Award, Writers' Guild Award, Chortle Awards and British Comedy Guide Awards. In 2014 he won the British Press Award for Broadsheet Columnist, for his column in The Independent.

He has written and performed several radio and television series for the BBC, and written several books including Reasons to Be Cheerful, Vive Le Revolution, an account of the French Revolution and It's Not a Runner Bean.[10]

In 2015 he toured a show 'Who Do I Think I Am', about his adoption and tracing his biological parents. This was broadcast as a show on Radio 4.

In 2017, Mark was seen back on stage with his new show Every Little Thing’s Gonna Be Alright.

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

He has appeared regularly on Have I Got News For You, on Room 101, Mock the Week, the Graham Norton Show, and made several appearances on Question Time. Mark Steel's in Town has won a Sony Award, Writers' Guild Award, Chortle Awards and British Comedy Guide Awards. In 2014 he won the British Press Award for Broadsheet Columnist, for his column in The Independent.

He has written and performed several radio and television series for the BBC, and written several books including Reasons to Be Cheerful, Vive Le Revolution, an account of the French Revolution and It's Not a Runner Bean.[10]

In 2015 he toured a show 'Who Do I Think I Am', about his adoption and tracing his biological parents. This was broadcast as a show on Radio 4.

In 2017, Mark was seen back on stage with his new show Every Little Thing’s Gonna Be Alright.

Why does the media constantly silence left-wing voices...

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Why does the media constantly silence left-wing voices...

I asked for a comparison, because I don't know - though I suspect Young has appeared on more news / political shows proffering his 'opinions'. What Rico posted was appearances on satirical comedy shows. Not the same thing. I imagine Young wouldn't be invited on to those because he wouldn't be funny. My point stands - there's a difference between a radio 4 show, and having some right wing shite shoved down your throat on the 6 o'clock news, in the guise of a 'think tank'.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I asked for a comparison, because I don't know - though I suspect Young has appeared on more news / political shows proffering his 'opinions'. What Rico posted was appearances on satirical comedy shows. Not the same thing. I imagine Young wouldn't be invited on to those because he wouldn't be funny. My point stands - there's a difference between a radio 4 show, and having some right wing shite shoved down your throat on the 6 o'clock news, in the guise of a 'think tank'.

Question Time? 

Shithead UKIP, Brexit, latest self publicising party has been on QT more times than virtually anybody else. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Question_Time_episodes

His number of appearances is 35, which puts him 9th in overall appearances in the history of the program, not including presenters.

In relationship of appearances/years appearing on the program, he averages 1st, with an average of 1.8 appearances per year. 

2000, 2003, 2004, 2006, 

2007, 2007

2008, 2008, 2008

2009, 2009, 2009

2010, 2001, 2010, 2010

2011, 2011,

2012, 2012,

2013, 2013, 2013, 2013

2014, 2014

2015, 2015

2016, 2016, 2016

2019, 2019 (Election Special), 2019

Not surprisingly the 8 people above Garage head would all be considered political heavyweights, such as Shirley Williams and Clare Short, not some twat who never won a parliamentary election. However, as I said he averages more appearances per active year than anybody in the history of the program. 

2003, 2005, 2012, 2013 are the years that Mark Steel appeared on QT, for 4 appearances over 10 years.  

He hasn't been on since he said this;

EDIT: Toby Young has been on 5 times

2004, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2015

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2