You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus could prevent Liverpool from winning the Premier League title

Baltar

15 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Nah, you really cannot go down the idea of tinkering with the game like that (40 minute halves). Once you start that then the integrity of the game really does get challenged inmy opinion.

People may say the same about 5 subs but subs are an integral part of football now and have beensince about 1965. In a cup competition, a 4th sub can be used now if the game goes to added time so the use of 5 in these times isnt radical. Also, the proposal for 5 subs is a team only has 3 windows during the game to make the changes. That means at least two subs would have to be made at the same time if the manager wanted to use all 5.

I don't think the limited halves thing was ever a goer.  It's more that everything should be considered for discussion.  I remember in the 1994 World Cup the heat was so debilitating that they introduced water breaks. So effectively they turned the games into Quarters.  

Whatever it takes to see if it is plausible to get football up and running safely should be considered in my opinion.  It's easy to dismiss things, but only if they are brought up. So bring them up.  Of course the press and twitter will want to mock the more outlandish ideas, but from them could some something that works.  

It turns out now that the 'no relegation' thing was brought up by one club, and was dismissed immediately.  Yet going by the press, it's as if it's a major factor and will decide whether football exists ever again.  I'd imagine the limited halves was treated the same.  But out of it may come something else.  

As you can tell I'm a big fan of brain storming exercises.  Some of the best workable process in my industry I've been apart of have come out of somewhat absurd conversations.

Just now, JohnnyH said:

I don't think the limited halves thing was ever a goer.  It's more that everything should be considered for discussion.  I remember in the 1994 World Cup the heat was so debilitating that they introduced water breaks. So effectively they turned the games into Quarters.  

Whatever it takes to see if it is plausible to get football up and running safely should be considered in my opinion.  It's easy to dismiss things, but only if they are brought up. So bring them up.  Of course the press and twitter will want to mock the more outlandish ideas, but from them could some something that works.  

It turns out now that the 'no relegation' thing was brought up by one club, and was dismissed immediately.  Yet going by the press, it's as if it's a major factor and will decide whether football exists ever again.  I'd imagine the limited halves was treated the same.  But out of it may come something else.  

As you can tell I'm a big fan of brain storming exercises.  Some of the best workable process in my industry I've been apart of have come out of somewhat absurd conversations.

You make a good point about the water breaks in the sweltering heat but I still think shorter halves would seriously affect the integrity of games.

Yes, I saw that about it being only 1 team who mentioned no relegation and I suppose should make us all wary of the accuracy of some of this stuff some papers are running with.

After all, the sports pages are about the only winner here. They get to run with both sides of the argument because their hacks hold differing views. They see their page hits going through the roof which probably results in more advertising income, winner, winner.

By the way, my solution is all clubs go to Wembley one Saturday and every fixture is decided by a penalty shoot out.  Every game decided in the one day. Promotion, relegation, Champions, European Cup places.  The lot.

Also, teams can pick obstacles for other teams.  

So you could declare that after each game all the Man City players have to have a pint.  By the 6th penalty shoot out they'd all be bladdered.

Or when a Chelsea player is taking a penalty a pit bull is let off 10 yards behind them and they have to take the penalty before getting savaged.

Stuff like that to lighten the mood.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

After all, the sports pages are about the only winner here. They get to run with both sides of the argument because their hacks hold differing views. They see their page hits going through the roof which probably results in more advertising income, winner, winner.

That's certainly the case, but the final outcome the press wants is for football to return in a month or two.  If a decision is taken in a few weeks to cancel this season, and probably next season too, then a lot of sports papers and journalists are out of jobs.

One of the many industries that relies on footballs return.

Christ, I'm missing the reds. Seeing stuff on twitter, year anniversaries from last season just hits home what a golden era we're in the midst of. Unfortunately, this cunt virus is going to deprive us seeing these boys in the flesh during their peak. Fucking disaster.

36 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You make a good point about the water breaks in the sweltering heat but I still think shorter halves would seriously affect the integrity of games.

If games are played in June & July, the weather will be warmer. It’s unfair in a winter sport. Benefits bigger clubs with more foreigners who are used to warmer weather. 

The ‘tegrity of the game is ruined. 

Unless we can’t get relegated. 

38 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

By the way, my solution is all clubs go to Wembley one Saturday and every fixture is decided by a penalty shoot out.  Every game decided in the one day. Promotion, relegation, Champions, European Cup places.  The lot.

Also, teams can pick obstacles for other teams.  

So you could declare that after each game all the Man City players have to have a pint.  By the 6th penalty shoot out they'd all be bladdered.

Or when a Chelsea player is taking a penalty a pit bull is let off 10 yards behind them and they have to take the penalty before getting savaged.

Stuff like that to lighten the mood.

Just let john terry takes chelsea's pens. I heard he likes to try a paneka and slip on his arse as part of his celebration at the same time.

18 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

What was the one with volleys and headers only and if the goalie caught it you went between the jumpers?

Can't remember, there was another one but can't recall that either, I know it pissed me off being in goal though, easily sold me. 

23 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

What was the one with volleys and headers only and if the goalie caught it you went between the jumpers?

Was it sixty seconds and if someone scored you had to start counting again...?

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Heads and volls.

I used to love saddles. Everyone had a goal and 3 lives, a volley was a life off, a header was two off, if you scored past someone and it wasn't a volley or header, you lost a life. Who comes up with these games. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The one thing you didn't want to be was the loser in heads and volleys.

Concede 5 in goal, bare arse. Concede a further 5... raw bollocks. You did not want to be shit in goal. The key was quick wits. My favourite was if anyone caught a header off me then I'd jog over moaning but motion for them to throw it to me, catch it then bounce it off their back and catch it. Wahey! Worked 92% of the time. 

12 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Depended how cold it was, in the summer goalie was better haha.

Weather was no bar to a game of footy was it? Remember getting a casey brought back from abroad, it was red and white hexagonal type thing, thought it was great, 3 inches of snow wasn't going to stop us getting on the St Wifreds field to give it a go,, i must of said to someone get in goal in that weather.