You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you think we should have a 2nd referendum on Brexit?

Bjornebye

Would you back a 2nd referendum?   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you back a 2nd referendum?

4 minutes ago, Boss said:

I think you'll find they are facts, on both counts.

Cameron went to the EU to ask for concessions (before the referendum) to give the UK more control over it's own borders. They laughed him out of the room. So the idea that the EU are receptive towards allowing us to change our immigration policy is untrue.

Parliament is sovereign in terms of the laws it can pass without EU intervention but the EU controls between 13% and 65% of our laws based on different sectors - some sectors obviously have more influence than others. it's duplicitous to say we have full control over our laws unless we have 100% control, don't you agree?

Let's call them "alternative facts" and it will save a needles drawn out debate upon which neither of us is likely to budge.

Guest Pistonbroke

I think you should hold a second referendum as quite clearly the first was held with a severe lack of information and on the back of lies.

People are still lying now, saying that those who voted to leave did so knowing it would mean leaving without a deal. What a load of bollocks, to suggest that they know what/why everyone voted the way they did is ludicrous to say the least. After the initial referendum people weren't debating about leaving without a deal, they were debating why the UK would get a great deal and that the EU needed the Uk more than the UK needed the EU blah blah blah. People only started shifting to the stance of leaving without a deal when it was clear the UK were out of their depth and the EU became a scapegoat for anything that didn't go how they thought it would. 

Unlike some on here, I don't think a second referendum would be so clear cut for those who wish to leave, far too many people have seen MP's for what they are, incompetent. Of course, they could still win, it will probably all boil down to the turnout and which age groups vote in numbers. 

Like some I also think it is irrelevant, the country is split and whatever happens a large percentage of society is going to be pissed off. These wounds won't disappear over a few years, it will take at least a generation. Maybe a dose of reality will bring them back together, nothing brings people together more, than when they suffer together.  

3 minutes ago, Boss said:

They are facts, whether your pea-brained SJW mind can accept them or not. Frankly, I couldn't care less.

No. You’re talking bollocks.

You're trying to turn opinions into facts. Unfortunately not everyone is so stupid to fall for that horse shit. 

How do you explain Boris Johnson campaigning for leave but still saying we should be in the single market???

Stop pretending because you want it it’s right or a fact. 

3 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

You're trying to turn opinions into facts. Unfortunately not everyone is so stupid to fall for that horse shit. 

How do you explain Boris Johnson campaigning for leave but still saying we should be in the single market???

I think this is the video Boss needs to see:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

Yeah, I don't think it would solve anything and like you I think that Leave would win again.

I'd like to see a second referendum purely to see how much it would agitate Leave voters and the likes of Farage.  But as a matter of general principle I accept the result of the first referendum and accept that we should leave in some capacity.

I also think there is the potential for serious civil unrest if there's a second referendum.  

The rhetoric currently going around means revoking A50 or having another vote isn't possible without a possible death like Jo Cox. 

You win now by making the best possible outcome, which isn't possible because the two major parties are frightened of saying the truth that Brexit is not sensible. 

8 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Welfare over there is crazy ,3/4 of your last wage for 9 months or something along those lines/ I have friends that worked in Belgium for a few years , returned home but flew to Chareloi once a month to sign on ,,Ryanair used make a fortune on the Wed/Thurs flights

33 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Obviously we want to stay in the Single Market. Who'd want to leave the Single Market if the EU also give us the concession of border control? That's the best of both worlds.

Realistically though it's not going to be on the cards. We'll be punished for leaving because the EU need to send a message to the other member states that it won't be accepted. Their livelihood depends on us getting a bad deal. Otherwise every member state would think "all we need to do is kick up a fuss and they'll give us the ability to do trade deals with the rest of the world and give us control over our own borders".

There might be the possibility of some concessions being made but it'd require us to be hard line No Deal until the deadline - putting Johnson in as PM and giving Farage a negotiating role and also concluding a zero tariff trade deal with America behind the scenes to scare them into crossing their own red lines. 

It's a game of chicken, and it's best played with the driver in the other car thinking you're prepared to crash head on at 100mph rather than swerve out of the way.

5 minutes ago, Boss said:

Obviously we want to stay in the Single Market. Who'd want to leave the Single Market if the EU also give us the concession of border control? That's the best of both worlds.

Realistically though it's not going to be on the cards. We'll be punished for leaving because the EU need to send a message to the other member states that it won't be accepted. Their livelihood depends on us getting a bad deal. Otherwise every member state would think "all we need to do is kick up a fuss and they'll give us the ability to do trade deals with the rest of the world and give us control over our own borders".

There might be the possibility of some concessions being made but it'd require us to be hard line No Deal until the deadline - putting Johnson in as PM and giving Farage a negotiating role and also concluding a zero tariff trade deal with America behind the scenes to scare them into crossing their own red flags. 

It's a game of chicken, and it's best played with the driver in the car thinking your prepared to crash head on rather than swerve out of the way.

Except that one side drives a BMW with airbags and another is in an old Trabant.

29 minutes ago, Gav said:

Welfare over there is crazy ,3/4 of your last wage for 9 months or something along those lines/ I have friends that worked in Belgium for a few years , returned home but flew to Chareloi once a month to sign on ,,Ryanair used make a fortune on the Wed/Thurs flights

The UK could have immigration control, like Belgium. They just chose not to implement it.

Just now, viRdjil said:

The UK could have immigration control, like Belgium. They just chose not to implement it.

Exactly ...it just suited Farage and Boris to not promote facts like that on a red bus . All those Brits in Spain & Portugal will be the next lot kicking off when they lose their free heathcare and have to apply for citezenship

2 hours ago, TK421 said:

Yeah, I don't think it would solve anything and like you I think that Leave would win again.

I'd like to see a second referendum purely to see how much it would agitate Leave voters and the likes of Farage.  But as a matter of general principle I accept the result of the first referendum and accept that we should leave in some capacity.

I also think there is the potential for serious civil unrest if there's a second referendum.  

Civil unrest potential exists now with the current situation and if we are left to drift out on a no deal ticket. 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

They are facts, whether your pea-brained SJW mind can accept them or not. Frankly, I couldn't care less.

My pea-brained SJW mind prefers to look at the legislation.  European Parliament and Council Directive 38/2004 enables Member States to repatriate EU nationals after three months if they have not found work or are otherwise unable to support themselves.  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/31/britain-take-back-control-immigration-eu-directive-brexit

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

My pea-brained SJW mind prefers to look at the legislation.  European Parliament and Council Directive 38/2004 enables Member States to repatriate EU nationals after three months if they have not found work or are otherwise unable to support themselves.  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/31/britain-take-back-control-immigration-eu-directive-brexit

Controlling our borders would mean having control over who enters in the first place, not repatriating peoples that have already arrived.