You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

24 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Fekir? Being linked to a forward in the midst of a title challenge feels a bit 13/14. No idea what this month's version of tracking Ian Ayre's plane into Ukraine will be, but I'm up for the ride.

Is Fekirs best position one of the front three? If not I dont really see the point in getting him in, as I doubt he’s better than Shaqiri in midfield.

Anyway I doubt it’ll happen, as I guess we had our reasons for walking away in the summer.

The Fekir stuff is just clickbait sites. It's clear Chelsea want Pulisic and the press are creating fake stories about us 'piping them to the post' and 'Pulisic only wants Liverpool' and other such nonsense to try and get clicks. Bet we're not even interested in him.

article-2138367-12E257C6000005DC-492_634

“It’s no secret he’s (Solanke) a target,” said Hodgson. “What would he do? Provide an attacking threat. He’s a proven goalscorer through all the age groups at Chelsea and England.

“If he comes here, it’ll be up to him to show he can do that in Premier League football.

“He’s someone with the profile we’re looking for, and the ability we are looking for. We know him better from the England games, and the performances with England.

“I thought he was a good signing from Liverpool’s point of view, but he’s been kept out of the team by some very strong players.

“It would take some player to knock their front three out of the team so it’s not a negative in relation to him that he’s not been able to do so.”

'SOLANKE HAS COMPLETED A MEDICAL'

Dominic Solanke has had a medical with Crystal Palace ahead of a six-month loan move, according to the Daily Mail.

Solanke, who has not started a game under Jurgen Klopp in the Premier League this season, has scored one goal in 28 appearances for Liverpool

1 minute ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not sure what help it gives solanke to go and work under that owl faced cunt, he's a fucking dinosaur and about as far away from klopp in terms of what he expects from his players as you can imagine. We must be hoping to sell him to Palace at the end of the deal. 

There's no way we want him, he's lower prem/championship standard.

7 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Yeah  I think that too. 

In that respect, he seemed to be a pointless signing unless Klopp sees Solanke as a longer term option alongside the likes of Rhian Brewster.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

In that respect, he seemed to be a pointless signing unless Klopp sees Solanke as a longer term option alongside the likes of Rhian Brewster.

Just now, Elite said:

Or a punt. We'll make a profit on him as well so not bad business.

He seemed like a punt to me. If we had any long term aspirations for the lad, we wouldn't be letting him play for the owl. 

3 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

He seemed like a punt to me. If we had any long term aspirations for the lad, we wouldn't be letting him play for the owl. 

He wasn't a huge money signing so the risk is quite small but how many young potential talents or under 23s are going to want to sign for Liverpool if after they sign they get little chance and then sign for another club instead?

Surely it makes sense to promote from within or sign players who are going to make it rather than sign players like Danny Ings or Dominic Solanke..

8 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

He wasn't a huge money signing so the risk is quite small but how many young potential talents or under 23s are going to want to sign for Liverpool if after they sign they get little chance and then sign for another club instead?

Surely it makes sense to promote from within or sign players who are going to make it rather than sign players like Danny Ings or Dominic Solanke..

I wouldn't have signed ings or solanke. But it seems to be the way we want to do business. I don't think we're unique in that regard, it seems most clubs do it to some extent. 

5 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Solanke was given the same chances Gerrard, Fowler, Carragher, Sterling, Origi, Ibe, Woodburn Trent and Gomez were.

Some work out, some don't.

8 hours ago, Elite said:

There's no way we want him, he's lower prem/championship standard.

8 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

Yeah  I think that too. 

I don't see how you can possibly tell given his age and experience. He was dominant in international football relative to his age, and our recruitment team - surely the best around now - thought him worth signing. To me, that means there is most definitely something there. I'll write him off when the club does; before that I'm happy to keep an open mind about him. Players do peak early and fade away, but they also bloom late or have peaks and troughs. There's also the thought that he might not suit our style and of course the other factor is that expecting a kid to make an impact ahead of three world class players and one formerly world class reserve is unrealistic. 

I hope he gets a loan deal and kicks on to return here and make an impact (because we haven't got world record transfer fee cash every time we need a new player) or, at the very least, command a big profit in the transfer market. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Not really a pint wjen you know you'll likely double your money. 

We paid somewhere in the 6-9ml range in compensation. We should get 15-20ml for him including additional fees and sell. On clauses etc. 

I suppose that depends if you think the recruitment teams job is to make money or to get players who are good enough to play for Liverpool. We may well make a profit on him, but we've had to have him play in matches like the derby last season because he takes a squad place that costs us points. 

8 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Happy to see Solanke get a bit more gametime, but I'm surprised we're shedding players in the one area of the squad where we're just lacking a little depth.

Do you think he would contribute if given the chance? Is Brewster not coming into the squad next month so effectively takes his place? We only play with 1 number 9 (we don't even really play with a 9), we have Sturridge, Brewster and origi who can all fill that role and thays before we'd probably pkay Mane and salah there if firmino was injured. I just don't see how solanke gets a game for us. 

3 hours ago, Paul said:

I don't see how you can possibly tell given his age and experience. He was dominant in international football relative to his age, and our recruitment team - surely the best around now - thought him worth signing. To me, that means there is most definitely something there. I'll write him off when the club does; before that I'm happy to keep an open mind about him. Players do peak early and fade away, but they also bloom late or have peaks and troughs. There's also the thought that he might not suit our style and of course the other factor is that expecting a kid to make an impact ahead of three world class players and one formerly world class reserve is unrealistic. 

I hope he gets a loan deal and kicks on to return here and make an impact (because we haven't got world record transfer fee cash every time we need a new player) or, at the very least, command a big profit in the transfer market. 

I can say it because I've watched him. He's not that fast, he's physically weak for his size (and easily bullied which could be the same thing), his touch is shite and he looks petrified when the ball comes near him. As I said earlier in the thread, if the club had any aspirations other than to sell him, they'd not be letting him anywhere near hodgson and would be finding a club with a manager who would help develop him. 

For me we took a punt on him for all the reasons you've said and after 18 months of looking at him, we've decided to cash in (if the press reports are to be believed we'd accepted permananent moves to Fulham). 

• Upvote 1