You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The ‘Buy Nabil Fekir’ Campaign

I find it weird that you do the media stuff before the medical is signed off. Surely medical is first on the list.

If it is a failed medical then I feel sorry for the player.

We are absolutely right to swerve though, we have too many crocks and I am actually surprised we even bothered going in for him.

However, it does seem a bit fishy and I reckon he may still end up here. Aulas is mad.

I agree,something about it seems a little staged like it's a break in negotiations to suit Lyon's agenda. May be completely wrong but I think he will still end up at Liverpool.

I think with him being away on international duty it probably forced the club to try and do it all together. For all we know they said to the player you can come over and do all the promotional stuff but it is obviously subject to your medical/reviewing these medical results which haven’t been great or even saying to him we going back to Lyon over the fee so there is a chance that it might not go through.

The only amateurish thing about it all is some attention seeking weapons filming that PC screen with him in a Liverpool kit. If that never gets out people would be none the wiser. I hope the club is digging into who it was or who responsible for it. If his medical results have come back and they don’t think it’s worth the risk I don’t understand how people can blame the club.

I’m sure there will still be people out there who think it’s FSG being tight. They just went to the length of flying him over and doing a load of promotional stuff just so it appears they want to spend money. They were always going to pull the plug.

My only fear is that with these type of players you can tell Klopp puts his heart and soul into getting them here. If this goes tits up it’s hard to see who we go for of a similar calibre because when he’s selling the club to these players he’s not lying to them he’s sees them as the next part of his jigsaw. The next player whoever it is will not be his first choice. Now I know most people’s response will be he has to go for loads of second choices reeling off all those players that turned him/is down. But that’s my point. When it’s not player who has turned us down it’s the club or like now and injury it’s going to be interesting to see whether he goes for even a vaguely similar player.

• Upvote 2

I choose to believe he failed the medical, simple as that.

Have to admit I’ve missed this promo work and picking shirt number thing. If that really happened, I agree it seems amateurish to do that up front of the medical. But may be down to a very tight schedule to get things sorted before the WC.

Anyway it would have been far worse to spend a massive fee on a player with a dodgy knee.

I choose to believe he failed the medical, simple as that.

Have to admit I’ve missed this promo work and picking shirt number thing. If that really happened, I agree it seems amateurish to do that up front of the medical. But may be down to a very tight schedule to get things sorted before the WC.

Anyway it would have been far worse to spend a massive fee on a player with a dodgy knee.

We lashed out a fortune on a lad with a dodgy brain when we signed Mad Mario.  

• Upvote 1

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2018/06/10/liverpool-reassess-list-transfer-targets-calling-nabil-fekir/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Chris Bascombe 

10 JUNE 2018 • 10:30 PM

Liverpool will reassess their list of targets to replace Philippe Coutinho after calling off the £53 million deal for Lyon’s Nabil Fekir.

The French side issued a statement on Saturday confirming the end of negotiations with the Merseyside club. That was a direct response to Liverpool’s decision to pull out of the deal 24 hours earlier.

Liverpool informed Lyon on Friday they were not going ahead as scheduled following Fekir’s medical, despite a fee and personal terms being agreed. There was no attempt from Liverpool to renegotiate terms.

The last 48 hours represent a significant setback in Jurgen Klopp’s summer transfer plans – especially as so much progress was made convincing the 24-year-old midfielder to move to Liverpool and in agreeing a fee with Lyon.

The blow is compounded by the fact one of Liverpool’s alternative targets to take the ten jersey vacated by Coutinho, West Ham’s Manuel Lanzini, suffered a cruciate ligament injury when training with Argentina last week.

Liverpool drew up a list of possible replacements after Coutinho's sale to Barcelona in January and felt Fekir was the ideal attacking midfield recruit.

Lanzini was a target before suffering a cruciate ligament injury CREDIT: ACTION IMAGES VIA REUTERS

Although there has been no indication from Liverpool of the nature of the late hitch, the circumstances are self-evident. The fact everything was agreed pending the outcome of the medical explains when complications arose. There are confidentiality issues preventing details of medical examinations being made public so there will be no confirmation from either side as to what caused the rethink.

What is a matter of record is Fekir suffered a serious knee injury three years ago, and also underwent a minor knee procedure last March. There is no surprise Liverpool would have been examining this closely given Fekir's injury issues.

It would be impossible for a club’s medical team to recommend a deal proceed – especially one so expensive - if there are concerns a previous or existing problem will flare up again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

I'd never wish a player get injured, but thank fuck Lanzini's done his knee.

I must admit when I saw someone post in the ‘other football’ thread that he was injured the other day I thought the same.

Not good if he was the calibre of 2nd option we’d go for.

I find it weird that you do the media stuff before the medical is signed off. Surely medical is first on the list.

If it is a failed medical then I feel sorry for the player.

We are absolutely right to swerve though, we have too many crocks and I am actually surprised we even bothered going in for him.

However, it does seem a bit fishy and I reckon he may still end up here. Aulas is mad.

I've said it before, we haven't heard the last of Fekir. Klopp may want to watch closely how he fares in Russia and comes out of the tournament. Klopp obviously loves the player.  

Going back in for him would be beyond stupid. Even if he doesn't play a single minute in the World Cup, Aulas will pump the price up out of principle because he's petty like that. And the knee issues we're worried about won't just go away. This saga should be dead and buried.