You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

West Brom (H) 13th December

Guest Pistonbroke

Guest Pistonbroke

They have two class strikers.

They only play one most of the time, plus Augero has one more goal than Sterling and Jesus one less than Sterling. Sane has 6, De Bruyne and Silva 5. Even Otamendi has 4. 

The fact you are using City to back your assumption up that we need a World Class striker (which our owners would never buy) is amusing as much as it is stupid. Fuck off mate, you may be a nice bloke but you haven't got a clue.

You just bang the same drum. To begin with it was, play Sturridge, play Sturridge.....now it is buy a world class striker, buy a World class striker. One, we can't afford, and two, we don't need if we sort out other areas. Managers build a squad around types of players they want to fit their style of play, they don't just go......'Fuck it, I'll buy a World class striker, that'll sort everything out.' 

I'm off to bed now, have fun. 

They have two class strikers.

We actually have a similar striker setup to City's

Jesus is very similar to Firmino in that he's not a typical #9. They fill the same role which is why Tite picks them both for the Brazilian team.

And Sturridge could've been our poor man's version of Aguero if he wasn't such a waster. So again, pretty bad argument there.

We actually have a similar striker setup to City's

Jesus is very similar to Firmino in that he's not a typical #9. They fill the same role which is why Tite picks them both for the Brazilian team.

And Sturridge could've been our poor man's version of Aguero if he wasn't such a waster. So again, pretty bad argument there.

I think that’s a really poor comparison. Firmino and Jesus are starkly different players, Jesus best is his movement and timing of runs, never seen a player score so many disallowed goals, Firmino is a link player who helps others play better. Sturridge aguero comparisons were embrassing in 2014, well now I don’t even know what to say about such things.

• Upvote 1

I think that’s a really poor comparison. Firmino and Jesus are starkly different players, Jesus best is his movement and timing of runs, never seen a player score so many disallowed goals, Firmino is a link player who helps others play better. Sturridge aguero comparisons were embrassing in 2014, well now I don’t even know what to say about such things.

The concept is the same. They're false 9's. Jesus doesn't stay high up the pitch, he drops deep to link with the other players.

And Sturridge like Aguero is the luxury finisher. He's shite though I wasn't comparing them talent-wise, just the role that they play.

Maybe read next time that I was comparing the setup, not the talent level, which obviously favors City. 

Keita can't arrive soon enough. 

Even with rotation, our forward 4 are tired from having to do the fullbacks' and midfielders job for them. That's the downside of having 4 generalists.

We would have been better today with Yacob and Krychowiak. Disappointed.

Keita can't arrive soon enough.

Even with rotation, our forward 4 are tired from having to do the fullbacks' and midfielders job for them. That's the downside of having 4 generalists.

We would have been better today with Yacob and Krychowiak. Disappointed.

This is the worry our ‘fab four’ will leave because they are fed up of the mediocrity around them.

Wasn’t around to see the match, couldn’t believe the score after seeing our team. Looked at bbc from time to time and was very scared when I saw the words ‘Lovren gave away a free kick ‘ right near the end. Absolutely terrible result.

WBA came for a point and helped themselves. Allardyce and Pardew both came to Anfield to tactically outwit Klopp of two points, and both succeeded.

1. If Pardew could keep the ball out of play for 90 minutes he would. It defeats the point of the game as a spectacle. Why the refs allow such blatant time wasting I don't know. I sincerely think the refs think that while it is out of play they don't have to make any decisions, so they can't be critisised. Last night's ref was not the caused of the result, but was happy to let them waste time...and sometimes he would help them by having prolonged discussions with them about it. Shameful.

2. Gini. Offers nothing going going forward. Offers nothing defensively. He lacks the courage to do something that will carry a forward momentum. Just not good enough for a centre mid.

3. In game management.  Poor as usual. Subs too late. Changes don't have an overwhelmingly positive effect on the momentum/tempo. 

4. Trent. Whaddaguy!! played great. was prepared to make things happen too - which Gini and Can couldn't/wouldn't do. 

5. Clean sheet. YAY! Rondon was a handful. He played his role well (even though I wouldn't want us to exploy it). Lovren had a hard time with him (who wouldn't), but the defence as a unit kept them out.

6. Mo. Class player. Class professional.

He doesn't start for any when they're playing their 1st team

Or 7 wins and 4 draws from the last 11, despite having a midfield and defence with very few fit to wear the shirt. Scoring 33 goals in those games. Yea, striker though, that's what we need, for sure.

Won 8 out of 17 in league...

That is not a great return.

Too many draws like the mancs last season - don't lose many, don't win enough and that got them 6th.

I hate the feeling that creeps in around the 60min mark when on some strange level, you just know for certain we arent going to get the result.

Guess its pining after Gerrard. We have some great players (Salah/Coutinho) some willing triers (Henderson) but nobody that combines the sheer bloody minded passion and ability, when the chips are down, you know they will be giving absolutely everything because it hurts so much.

Gerrard is the prime example, but you could say the same of Hyypia, Torres, Suarez, Alonso, Didi, even Agger. They hated not coming out on top and you'd have to be some bloody team to nulify players when they have passion like that. Thats what makes it worse, Everton and West Brom are both bang average.

Apart from Klopp (who doesnt really give much away) Id question which player would have stood in the dressing room shouting the odds, not accepting that performance       

Or just tough a tough number 9 who could take it like Torres or Suarez.

Yes. My point was more that we need somebody(not necessarily Crouch like) who is a constant threat and nuisance in the areas of biggest threat to the opposition,ie their penalty area and six yard box. Suarez and Torres were masters at it. I don't even believe we have to drop Firmino either,just let him play his natural deeper lying role. I wonder if Klopp is thinking about playing Firmino in more of a Coutinho role as we all seem resigned to Coutinho leaving in the summer at the latest?

I see the usual still banging on about the 'world class striker' who won't make a fucking difference to shit. Don't know if you notice last night - we started 442 with the league's top scorer one of those two. 

Our front four and options are as good as you can get without being a super club. 

But, we do have problems in midfield. I was a big fan of Gini - but this season he has been poor, too passive and contributing next to nothing, if Can was as good as Can thought Can was, he'd be fucking immense, but he isn't anywhere near that good. 

None of them can put their foot on the ball and dictate play, none of them can offer protection, none of them can contribute going forward. Keita is coming so I am prepared to wait - but, it offers nothing more than Gini and Can passing to each other and slowing the game down. 

One positive - we are creating chances, very good chances against teams a poor side would struggle to create chances against - and we have had very little luck this season (Mignolet against Stoke apart). Add in Lallana and we have so many options up front.

The concept is the same. They're false 9's. Jesus doesn't stay high up the pitch, he drops deep to link with the other players.

And Sturridge like Aguero is the luxury finisher. He's shite though I wasn't comparing them talent-wise, just the role that they play.

Maybe read next time that I was comparing the setup, not the talent level, which obviously favors City.

Jesus isn’t a false 9. Both Suarez and Sturridge link with other players too... They aren’t false 9s Firmino spends more time roaming the pitch than he is inside the box. He’s also a natural no 10.

I see the usual still banging on about the 'world class striker' who won't make a fucking difference to shit. Don't know if you notice last night - we started 442 with the league's top scorer one of those two. 

Our front four and options are as good as you can get without being a super club. 

But, we do have problems in midfield. I was a big fan of Gini - but this season he has been poor, too passive and contributing next to nothing, if Can was as good as Can thought Can was, he'd be fucking immense, but he isn't anywhere near that good. 

None of them can put their foot on the ball and dictate play, none of them can offer protection, none of them can contribute going forward. Keita is coming so I am prepared to wait - but, it offers nothing more than Gini and Can passing to each other and slowing the game down. 

One positive - we are creating chances, very good chances against teams a poor side would struggle to create chances against - and we have had very little luck this season (Mignolet against Stoke apart). Add in Lallana and we have so many options up front.

We are creating chances but struggling to finish them, yet a world class striker wouldnt make a difference?

We are creating chances but struggling to finish them, yet a world class striker wouldnt make a difference?

No, because we have a world class striker in Salah and he is missing them. World class strikers miss chances, it is lazy thinking to state that a. Firminho is not world class, and b. a striker solves everything cos he scores all the time. 

We play with a front 3 for the majority of the time - not one forward, we play with 3. If we played 442 and one of those front 2 was top scorer nobody would be calling for a striker - so why do it when we play 3 up front? 

Frustrating night. Chances were there but same as Sunday we couldn't finish. Still, 8 games undefeated and we have a brilliant RB in TAA. 9 points from the next 4 games to close the year would be very good. Cant see us getting a result at Arsenal even though they are struggling. Always hit and miss there. A win at Bournemouth is critical and then Swansea and Leicester at home we need to be beating them. 

• Upvote 1

Frustrating night. Chances were there but same as Sunday we couldn't finish. Still, 8 games undefeated and we have a brilliant RB in TAA. 9 points from the next 4 games to close the year would be very good. Cant see us getting a result at Arsenal even though they are struggling. Always hit and miss there. A win at Bournemouth is critical and then Swansea and Leicester at home we need to be beating them. 

I think we'll do a job on Arsenal because they'll actually try to play football.

Difficult to get enthusiastic about the race for fourth or higher though, isn't it? We could finish second this season (we won't) and still be twenty points behind Man City. 

I fucking hate drawing games, it’s actually shite. What’s wrong with this team why can’t we buy a fucking late goal.

When the ref allows their keeper to pick up a back pass in the second half without penalising him it is no wonder we cannot buy a goal. That was as clear a back pass as you will ever see.

No, because we have a world class striker in Salah and he is missing them. World class strikers miss chances, it is lazy thinking to state that a. Firminho is not world class, and b. a striker solves everything cos he scores all the time. 

We play with a front 3 for the majority of the time - not one forward, we play with 3. If we played 442 and one of those front 2 was top scorer nobody would be calling for a striker - so why do it when we play 3 up front?

A wide player in a 4-3-3 isn’t too different to a wide player in a 4-2-3-1. I say drop Firmino deeper and play a striker in front him. Salah, Coutinho, Firmino, Mane and Ox could rotate for the three AM roles and Firmino could fill in for the no 9 role from time to time.