You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Guest Pistonbroke

Unless we are signing a truely world class LB i do not see the point.

Robertson/Milner/Moreno are more than enough.

Get a pair of CB and some decent midfielders and a proper back up/alternative to Firmino

Exactly. That Max is worth about 5 mill tops, although if you add the PL daft bonus he could end up costing 7-10. He really isn't that good, although he has had a purple patch this season as far as assists go. He's also quite short for a defender, so a bit useless as far as covering for a CB who finds himself out of position or defending against hoof ball teams. 

Exactly. That Max is worth about 5 mill tops, although if you add the PL daft bonus he could end up costing 7-10. He really isn't that good, although he has had a purple patch this season as far as assists go. He's also quite short for a defender, so a bit useless as far as covering for a CB who finds himself out of position or defending against hoof ball teams. 

To be fair Philip Lahm was short and he wasn't too bad - I am saying this as a 5' 6 bloke you understand!

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

To be fair Philip Lahm was short and he wasn't too bad - I am saying this as a 5' 6 bloke you understand!

True, but lahm was World class and played in teams with great defensive units, Bayern/Germany. This Max lad has fuck all international experience apart from sitting on the bench at the Olympics, and has played for two very mediocre teams in Augsburg and Karlsruher before that. He did start his career at Schalke but couldn't get into their first team (think he played a few times only) and they were shite at the time. I'm a bit surprised that three clubs at the top end of the PL are interested in him, he's back up standard at best if you are looking to win trophies or stay at the top. 

Philippe Coutinho is looking to force through a move to Barcelona but without rocking the boat at Liverpool. The Brazil international has asked his representatives to sit down with the club to negotiate a move away from Anfield during the summer with the incentive being he will not agitate for a move during January if they agree. The 25-year-old wants to go to the World Cup and knows a spell on the bench will hurt his chances

Simply must sign a centre-back. The Clyne situation, and the need for Gomez to play right-back as a result, surely forces Klopp's hand?

I have my doubts over Van Dijk coming. Not just over whether Southampton would now sell, but also Man City's interest too. They're certain to win the Prem and desperately need a centre back too. I'm sure they'll twist Van Dijk's arm if Southampton choose to cash in. 

Yeah because playing Firmino as our striker is an issue....

but moving Firmino to Coutinho's roll when he leaves and putting an out and out striker in his place might just make that difference against those teams where we seen struggle to find the net 

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho is preparing to pay a club record £95m to sign 22-year-old Lazio and Serbia midfielder Sergej Milinkovic-Savic

Surely that can’t be true? £95m for him!! I know he’s good and all that but to pay the best part of £100m for Savic is mental, we’ve been linked with him for about £50m haven’t we?

but moving Firmino to Coutinho's roll when he leaves and putting an out and out striker in his place might just make that difference against those teams where we seen struggle to find the net

Playing an out and out Striker takes something away from our attacking play. Firmino is an ideal foil, dropping deep, creating space for Salah and Mane and works his bollocks off. We don't need an out and out striker. A proper no10 is a dying breed in footy today anyway. Who'd you suggest? I'd rather us find a replacement for Phil and leave Bobby where he is.

Playing an out and out Striker takes something away from our attacking play. Firmino is an ideal foil, dropping deep, creating space for Salah and Mane and works his bollocks off. We don't need an out and out striker. A proper no10 is a dying breed in footy today anyway. Who'd you suggest? I'd rather us find a replacement for Phil and leave Bobby where he is.

Can he play every game?  Would you want him up top in games where you may only get one chance?

Even if we are happy with Firmino, how can a team have 1 bloody forward?  Top teams have 3 or 4.  When he doesn't play, we have Ings, Sturridge , Origi and Solanke, which is a joke.

We need the best keeper we can get, a lb with a brain, 2 cb's that can start, a dm, a clever midfielder who can dictate a game and a world class striker, maybe a back up better than solanke too.

We need 7 or 8 players and I cant see it happening in 2 windows.

If we go into next season with Moreno, Ming and Lovren as starters then we are fucked and it's another wasted season.

Van Dijk is looking good recently, getting back to fitness nicely, no recurrence of any injury or other knocks associated.  Just good old fashioned Dutchman. 

He really is a fucking great centre back. 

That said, I thought Jack Stephens looked great against Arsenal, a big talent. 

I'm wondering if Southampton would accept £50m plus Grujic.  

Can he play every game?  Would you want him up top in games where you may only get one chance?

Even if we are happy with Firmino, how can a team have 1 bloody forward?  Top teams have 3 or 4.  When he doesn't play, we have Ings, Sturridge , Origi and Solanke, which is a joke.

We need the best keeper we can get, a lb with a brain, 2 cb's that can start, a dm, a clever midfielder who can dictate a game and a world class striker, maybe a back up better than solanke too.

If we go into next season with Moreno, Ming and Lovren as starters then we are fucked and it's another wasted season.

Who do Chelsea have?

United?

Arsenal?

Tottenham?

We can't afford to spend big on a forward as cover. 

Van Dijk is looking good recently, getting back to fitness nicely, no recurrence of any injury or other knocks associated.  Just good old fashioned Dutchman. 

He really is a fucking great centre back. 

That said, I thought Jack Stephens looked great against Arsenal, a big talent. 

I'm wondering if Southampton would accept £50m plus Grujic.  

Looking forward to our tedious, soul-destroying pursuit of this lad in the two 2019 transfer windows.

Can he play every game? Would you want him up top in games where you may only get one chance?

Even if we are happy with Firmino, how can a team have 1 bloody forward? Top teams have 3 or 4. When he doesn't play, we have Ings, Sturridge , Origi and Solanke, which is a joke.

No, he can't play every game but we do have cover, may not be Top Class cover, but we have adequate cover. I wouldn't mind seeing Mane there personally.

Can't say I am expecting much to happen as per usual. I would happily settle for only VVD given our record. At best, I could probably imagine VVD in and maybe a Bosman deal sorted out for Goretzka if it is confirmed that Can is leaving. That's about it. Can't really see us getting a striker unless Sturridge is moved on. 

We will probably just re-sign Caulker though.

Looking forward to our tedious, soul-destroying pursuit of this lad in the two 2019 transfer windows.

Comes a point we have to stop beating ourselves up about this Southampton thing.  

They have good players from time to time, they are often willing to sell at a reasonable price, it's more a surprise that we aren't rivaled for the likes of Lallana, Clyne and Mane, rather than complain that we're getting those deals over the line for good value.

Obviously we pay for that by over-paying for Lovren and Lambert.

Southampton waking upto that now, but £60m for Van Dijk would still be highly palatable to me.  He's better than Stones, or Mangala, who cost a similar amount.

I like the look of Merino at Newcastle, will continue to watch him just to make sure I'm not seeing something that isnt there.  

Looks a very decent CM as an alternative to Goretzka, and only played a handful of games this season so far due to injury.  Still only 21, but Newcastle look awful without him, but seemed to pick up points earlier in the season with him.