You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

The fact there's still a debate about labours position, that even people close to Corbyn seem to be beating a different drum to him, clearly there's fence sitting. Labour as a party do not have a clear position on what they would fight a GE election campaign on. I tire of people who believe this position is anything bit fence sitting. 

The position is fairly clear, I would say. Emily Thornberry is going to negotiate a new Brexit deal, then campaign against it. A real vote-winner, I'm sure you'll agree.

On 21/09/2019 at 22:57, Strontium Dog™ said:

Rico lives in a Tory/Lib Dem marginal, as far as I recall. So voting Lib Dem would be an eminently sensible move for him.

22 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

So as a reaminer I assume you will be voting Labour seeing as it is eminently sensible for you to do? 

Lets dance nappy 

45 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The position is fairly clear, I would say. Emily Thornberry is going to negotiate a new Brexit deal, then campaign against it. A real vote-winner, I'm sure you'll agree.

That's not Labour’s position.  That (with the clarification that it will be Starmer who will lead the negotiations) is what Thornberry is saying and it's clearly a wrong-headed approach. 

The problem with Labour negotiating a deal and putting it to the people is that they need to get a majority which seems unlikely . The immediate danger is crashing out and they need to address that above all else.  The next thing that needs to happen is a referendum then the election. 

8 hours ago, magicrat said:

The problem with Labour negotiating a deal and putting it to the people is that they need to get a majority which seems unlikely . The immediate danger is crashing out and they need to address that above all else.  The next thing that needs to happen is a referendum then the election. 

Who is going to call a referendum if Labour aren’t in Government?

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Who is going to call a referendum if Labour aren’t in Government?

I expect now there is a majority in the house to support a second referendum or  confirmatory vote on any cobblers Johnson brings back disguised as a withdrawal agreement. Depending on the vote today in conference I would expect Corbyn to have to swing behind it and support remain. It's been obvious for over a year that a second vote is the only way to avoid a car crash. It may require the courts to intervene and ask for an extension to A50 .

I think with a remain vote at a 2nd referendum Labours chances will be much better than if they go to the polls now .

12 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

1. Negotiate a deal that protects jobs, etc.

2. Put that deal to the a public vote

There's nothing unclear about that and pretty much everyone in Labour is behind it.  When the time comes for a public vote, some people are now having the debate - as is entirely appropriate at Conference - about whether Labour should campaign for one side or the other.  Personally, I think the most sensible thing will be to give MPs free rein to campaign as they see fit: it makes no sense to consider going to negotiate a deal with the EU, having first committed to campaign against that deal.

This isn't sitting on the fence: it's refusing to be divided by the fence.  The bottom line is that the whole Brexit debacle is a Tory creation and Labour are quite right in refusing to be defined by it.  There are many more important divisions in the country and many important issues that unite people who disagree about Brexit.  Corbyn set this out clearly at the start of the year, in a speech in Wakefield (which starts about 16:40 into this clip).  Basically, stop fixating on the fence.

And which way would they campaign in that public vote? Because this is important. If Labour campaigns to remain (as most of the front bench want to do, but not Corbyn), well why would Labour try to get a deal that is worth putting to the people? Labour seems to think they can leave which direction they would support until the deal is done, thus avoidinig taking a position in the GE. It is in the interests of Labour if they wish to remain to get a bad deal, so the public is backed into a corner on remain. And why would the EU want to give us a good deal? The EU want us to stay, so it is in their interests to only offer something that makes remaining feel appealing to swing leave voters. How can the electorate take Labour's position to negotiate to leave as serious when key members of the shadow cabinet already say they will back remain no matter what deal is negotiated? The party needs a position. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

This is the Times articles which broke it before he issued his own statement saying he was stepping down for family issues. 

C171CBC9-C7A6-4379-9779-B20DA184B9D2.png

Thanks for the article, I've seen it quoted when the story broke, didn't see any follow-up analyses about possible policy shifts etc.

I think today might be the day when Labour made it harder for themselves to win an election. 

Some of the proposals put forward by McDonnell are great, mirror what is happening in parts of Europe and pojnt to there being "another way" of governing, but they'll upset so many establishment groups and their vested interests that the press will go in extra hard on Labour now and will create the perverse situation whereby you'll have council estate dwellers from Hartlepool brainwashed into defending the rights of private schools etc. 

It’s not as though the press has been taking it easy up to this point. Anybody offering a systemic rebalancing or a populist transformative economic agenda - i.e anyone who threatens their power and hegemony - is going to be absolutely hammered by the corporate press. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

And which way would they campaign in that public vote? Because this is important. If Labour campaigns to remain (as most of the front bench want to do, but not Corbyn), well why would Labour try to get a deal that is worth putting to the people? Labour seems to think they can leave which direction they would support until the deal is done, thus avoidinig taking a position in the GE. It is in the interests of Labour if they wish to remain to get a bad deal, so the public is backed into a corner on remain. And why would the EU want to give us a good deal? The EU want us to stay, so it is in their interests to only offer something that makes remaining feel appealing to swing leave voters. How can the electorate take Labour's position to negotiate to leave as serious when key members of the shadow cabinet already say they will back remain no matter what deal is negotiated? The party needs a position. 

That is all a very lucid argument for why the party needs to back Corbyn's position.