You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can Capitalism be positive for the public?

Gym Beglin

Capitalism only works in theory.

All political theories only work in theory, that's why you get communists stating that Russia under Stalin or Cambodia under Pol Pot weren't really communism. It's all about the implementation.

Not for nothing is economics known as the dismal science.

• Upvote 1

Capitalism is one of the best ways to elevate societies, in my opinion it shouldn't encompass all aspects of society though. Politics, justice, health care, arms industry, education should not be part of the get rich ideology. The hunt for profit should not be the end game for every endeavour. Our biggest problem stems from a convoluted corrupt politics system it needs transparency and accountability. Politicians need it hammering home that they work for the greater public not private interests. Look at our system we still have shit that goes back to Cromwell. Changes are needed.

I don't think any one ideology fits all its just a common sense approach we need to be more fluid than follow set principals that only work if everyone on the planet plays by the same rules.

• Upvote 1

All political theories only work in theory, that's why you get communists stating that Russia under Stalin or Cambodia under Pol Pot weren't really communism. It's all about the implementation.

Not for nothing is economics known as the dismal science.

Aye true. 

Many humans instinctively want to turn any system to their own advantage, whether they're in a Communist system drinking black market Hennessy while everyone else is drinking white spirit, or exploiting their Commons expenses to build a property portfolio. I think the only way to avoid this is to have some kind of strong moral code or a strong ruler who isn't corruptible, what Plato referred to as 'the philosopher ruler', a leader who didn't seek power but was just true to what he thought was right. 

Daft as it may sound, I think Corbyn is the closest modern politician I've seen to this. He's essentially incorruptible unlike someone like Blair or Brown to a lesser extent, he IS his views and that's it. I'm not saying whether he'd be a good leader or not, but he fits the bill as a leader who hasn't necessarily sought power and is fuelled purely by ideals.

• Upvote 2

In Children of the Matrix (2001), Icke added that the Anunnaki bred with another extraterrestrial race called the "Nordics", who had blond hair and blue eyes, to produce a race of human slave masters, the Aryans. The Aryans retain many reptilian traits, including cold-blooded attitudes, a desire for top-down control, and an obsession with ritual, lending them a tendency toward fascism, rationalism, and racism. 

In Children of the Matrix (2001), Icke added that the Anunnaki bred with another extraterrestrial race called the "Nordics", who had blond hair and blue eyes, to produce a race of human slave masters, the Aryans. The Aryans retain many reptilian traits, including cold-blooded attitudes, a desire for top-down control, and an obsession with ritual, lending them a tendency toward fascism, rationalism, and racism.

Do you believe this bollocks?

The Nords remind me of Star Trek people, humans from the future who've evolved beyond the petty and mundane. If you go to a pub with one they have exactly the same reaction to everything as Mr Spock. 

'Those men are fighting rather than talking to pretty ladies, that is not fun'.

• Upvote 1

That's the sanest thing you've ever written.

• Upvote 2

The question that throws a spanner in the works is whether it is possible to regulate global capitalism.

In a world where laws and regulators have a price how do you regulate? In a world where culture and information is very much tied to money how can you hold capital to account and make good decisions about it?

It's like capitalism has a fatal cheat, and a bit of up, down, left, right, square, triangle and you have it boxed off again. 

Aye true. 

Many humans instinctively want to turn any system to their own advantage, whether they're in a Communist system drinking black market Hennessy while everyone else is drinking white spirit, or exploiting their Commons expenses to build a property portfolio. I think the only way to avoid this is to have some kind of strong moral code or a strong ruler who isn't corruptible, what Plato referred to as 'the philosopher ruler', a leader who didn't seek power but was just true to what he thought was right. 

Daft as it may sound, I think Corbyn is the closest modern politician I've seen to this. He's essentially incorruptible unlike someone like Blair or Brown to a lesser extent, he IS his views and that's it. I'm not saying whether he'd be a good leader or not, but he fits the bill as a leader who hasn't necessarily sought power and is fuelled purely by ideals.

'leaders' are the problem, get rid, put skynet in charge.

If I were to invent a sci-fi dystopia, I would struggle to match capitalism's sheer depth of insanity and cruelty.

What is insane and cruel that is inherent to capitalism?

Or perhaps more pertinently, what is insane and cruel that is in capitalism that is not already in human nature?

What is insane and cruel that is inherent to capitalism?

The fact that we accept as a natural the fact that millions of people are in such dire poverty throughout the world, dying in their droves from malnutrition and preventable illnesses, is insane and cruel.  Also, the fact that everybody knows about the need for urgent, widescale action to combat climate change, and yet we stick with an economic system that makes the situation worse.

I'm not claiming to have any answers, but you have to admit, that's pretty fucked-up.

• Upvote 1

New York. Times Square.

There are people who dress like Disney characters and dance around like spaz, just to get money to survive.

About 50 metres in any direction from there, there are people paying 40 quid for cocktails and 200 quid for an evening meal.

The cost to keep all those fucking lights going for hours on end would feed a number of families for years. The adverts flash all these "beautiful" people and how you too can be beautiful if you part with your money to buy products that have been made by killing animals.

Modern Capitalism is a killer. It's a disease. It has done more harm than many wars combined.

I'm sitting here typing this on my fucking Samsung tablet on a fucking Cisco designed wifi device, a cog in the wheel.

Don't know what the fuck I'm trying to say except it's all bollocks. Isn't it? Bring back farming and folklore and tiling the earth and care and joy. This shit is fucking soul destroying.

• Upvote 1

The fact that we accept as a natural the fact that millions of people are in such dire poverty throughout the world, dying in their droves from malnutrition and preventable illnesses, is insane and cruel.  Also, the fact that everybody knows about the need for urgent, widescale action to combat climate change, and yet we stick with an economic system that makes the situation worse.

I'm not claiming to have any answers, but you have to admit, that's pretty fucked-up.

You couldn't think of an answer that would be better than the current system?

I'd be surprised if my dog couldn't come up with something.