You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loris Karius

Captain

If anyone thinks Karius is less of a risk against the Mancs than Mig after that abject performance yesterday is just plain wrong imo,  

Karius needs more time to settle in and learn to command his area, He can't play in the PL if he can't come and collect high balls . That trumps any ability to pass it around neatly at the back  

If anyone thinks Karius is less of a risk against the Mancs than Mig after that abject performance yesterday is just plain wrong imo,  

Karius needs more time to settle in and learn to command his area, He can't play in the PL if he can't come and collect high balls . That trumps any ability to pass it around neatly at the back  

So one poor game trumps almost 3 seasons of ineptness? What a ridiculous decision it would be for Klopp to drop his keeper of the future because he misjudged a few crosses in one game. 

Karius isn't Brad Jones and he isn't Bogdan. He's not some talent-less lifetime backup who we're giving a shot on a whim and who'll get dropped if he makes a single mistake. 

Karius would have to pick the ball up and deliberately throw into our own goal for us to have to go back to Mignolet.

• Upvote 1

So one poor game trumps almost 3 seasons of ineptness? What a ridiculous decision it would be for Klopp to drop his keeper of the future because he misjudged a few crosses in one game. 

Karius isn't Brad Jones and he isn't Bogdan. He's not some talent-less lifetime backup who we're giving a shot on a whim and who'll get dropped if he makes a single mistake. 

Karius would have to pick the ball up and deliberately throw into our own goal for us to have to go back to Mignolet.

Well we will see after the game. I would be surprised if Klopp does bench him but for the record it wasn't misjudging a few crosses it was a complete failure to deal with any high ball

Had he made a few errors trying to do the right thing then fair enough, What he did yesterday against a bang average side was to start to come then freeze on half a dozen occasions . Just rooted to the stop in no mans land, A piss easy game with virtually nothing for our keeper to do in the end ended in a very fortunate 3 points . The Mancs will not spurn the kind chances Karius gave Swansea . If an outfield player had played so poorly there would be no question about dropping him, 

He is gonna need to be much better to survive the bombardment Pulis' shithouses will put him under and then what will be waiting for him at Palace.

And of course shitcoat won't be reluctant to get the mancs going full alehouse too. Big tests these next 3 for a keeper who looks shit scared to come for anything/command on corners and crosses.

I think the goalkeeping position is evolving, and a fair few of us are going to need to adjust expectations as to what it is going to be as we move forward. In addition to this, I would argue that the sort of goalkeeping ideal that many espouse perhaps never even fully existed, at least as we like to remember it. 

To illustrate what I'm trying to say, let's take the idea of a commanding keeper coming off his line to claim the ball. The best we've had at this, at least in the keepers I've seen play for us, was Bruce Grobbelar. He was quite famous for it, in fact. If a cross came in he would come off his line and leap like a salmon, often catching it with one hand. I think Clemence was the better all round keeper (that's as far back as I can remember) but Brucie was better at this one aspect of the game. Grobbelar would boss the six yard box, but then he also came beyond the six yard box to claim crosses that were around the penalty spot. It was the sort of thing that hadn't really been seen before, and we were glad that he was ours.  

That's the fond memory, anyhow. But was it really like that? Or was there a downside we choose not to remember as much?

I think it's a bit of both. Obviously Brucie was dominant in the air, but let's also remember that he played in a successful Liverpool team behind a cracking defence. But in addition to him being dominant, was there also a careless, perhaps even reckless side to his play? I think so.

Put it this way, Grobbelar got his clown monicker for a reason, and I don't just think it was the handstands at Wembley. I recall many occasions where he came off his line and got caught out in no man's land. Obviously I don't have stats on this to back it up, and if they are available and somebody knows how to obtain that, it would be a wonderful contribution to make.

I suspect that if Brucie was under the sort of scrutiny of modern day players, with every single error being examined and played over and over, I suspect he would have been crucified. And yet we look back on his time with a real fondness (granted, I'm not including the off pitch accusations towards the end). 

So what does all this mean for Karius? 

Well, anyone who looks at the graph that's been posted a few times will need to come to terms with the fact that he's not the sort of goalie to come and claim it. I think it's fair to say that this is an area where Karius must grow, especially given the agricultural side of the game that is sometimes on display in the Premier League. But you would have to think that it's not going to be a strong suit for him, based on what the stats tell us. 

But what about his plus points? Already we've seen them on display. There was one ball he played where he was being pressed and he chipped it over a player or two, right into the space in front of Clyne, and we were away, on the break. It was the sort of pass that a competent Premier League midfielder would have been happy to see and make. 

What I'm arguing is that I think Karius is a footballer... who happens to play in goal. And with the modern emphasis on exploiting transitions in play, this will be invaluable as he settles in. He can turn defence into attack, rapidly. 

I suspect that ultimately Klopp is going to get another central defender to go with Matip. Lovren has turned a corner after having the jitters under Rodgers, but I suspect someone like Tah, or possibly Sule, will be targeted in the near future. 

In theory this will give us a centre back pairing that will be aerially dominant, and it will take the main responsibility away from the goalie to be that man. And then in our case, with a good understanding forming with the defenders in front of him, Karius will be free to spread his wings at Liverpool and be the goalie for us that I suspect Klopp already knows he will be.

• Upvote 8