You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

10 minutes ago, moof said:

Didn’t see any of you hysterical fannies piping up after he dominated PSG at Anfield. The way some of you go on you’d be forgiven for believing he was one of the shittest players to have laced boots in this league. 

I dont want to take the shine off your ballon here Moofy but he was our third best midfielder that match

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

I dont want to take the shine off your ballon here Moofy but he was our third best midfielder that match

I'm sure we only played with two, or at least it seemed like it.

I don't get his "defenders". He's been here for 7 years and has won nothing of consequence whilst his play has vacillated from mediocre to slightly above Premier League average. Anyone can see that, and he's not a player whose style captures the imagination and who would get more leeway as a result. 

Obviously, you can point out single games or stretches where he's been good, he's managed to keep his job all these years after all, but it's only natural that a lot of people are tired of him. If anything, I admire people who still enjoy watching him play and like him. I don't know how they do it.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't get his "defenders". He's been here for 7 years and has won nothing of consequence whilst his play has vacillated from mediocre to slightly above Premier League average. Anyone can see that, and he's not a player whose style captures the imagination and who would get more leeway as a result. 

Obviously, you can point out single games or stretches where he's been good, he's managed to keep his job all these years after all, but it's only natural that a lot of people are tired of him. If anything, I admire people who still enjoy watching him play and like him. I don't know how they do it.  

There is a talented footballer in there somewhere and I guess we have been waiting for him to show it, Unlikely now and given he is below the standard of the rest of the team these days his position as Captain and even his place at the club are being seriously questioned . 

Even on his best day Henderson is merely average. His usual performances are poor; zero threat, zero guile nor imagination ; very little defensive savvy, negligible leadership,  I'd argue that he hasn't improved at all since we signed him.  He remains a West Ham,  Cardiff,  Bournemouth level player. 

Fuck him off cos he is shite. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He's been played in the wrong position his entire career, he could have been a very good right-back.

It's one of the reasons I'm hesitant at people calling for Alexander-Arnold to be played in midfield.

2 hours ago, moof said:

Didn’t see any of you hysterical fannies piping up after he dominated PSG at Anfield. The way some of you go on you’d be forgiven for believing he was one of the shittest players to have laced boots in this league. 

Mate, if he played like that more often, nobody would be slating him. I like the guy, he’s clearly an important squad member, and a senior member with a good attitude. But it’s so rare that he puts in one of those all action performances that you have to question whether he deserves to be a regular starter, and certainly the Captain. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Hades said:

He's been played in the wrong position his entire career, he could have been a very good right-back.

Lazy journalism here - struggling to see how a fella who can't win anything in the air, is often on the wrong side of his man, has trouble reading/tracking runs, couldn't beat yer ma off the dribble  and is not a very good crosser of the ball would be a top fullback.

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Mate, if he played like that more often, nobody would be slating him. I like the guy, he’s clearly an important squad member, and a senior member with a good attitude. But it’s so rare that he puts in one of those all action performances that you have to question whether he deserves to be a regular starter, and certainly the Captain. 

I’ve said myself, earlier on, he doesn’t deserve to be in our best XI when everybody is fit and firing. I think he’s a good captain, although we don’t know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. All the noises are that he’s respected by all the players and the manager. He’s also nowhere near as bad as everyone is making out on here today.

It’s not as if I’ve been a staunch defender of his over the years but he’s grown into a very good player and a top pro, he’s captain and an important figure for one of the best teams on the planet. He wasn’t great yesterday but we still won 3-0 and didn’t look remotely troubled at any point away from home against a decent side. I wish people had a sense of perspective.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Lazy journalism here - struggling to see how a fella who can't win anything in the air, is often on the wrong side of his man, has trouble reading/tracking runs, couldn't beat yer ma off the dribble  and is not a very good crosser of the ball would be a top fullback.

He's a decent crosser and can get up and down all day. It's easier to read runs at fullback because part of the pitch is cut off. The other option is right midfield in a Beckham-esque role that doesn't exist anymore. Kenny had him there IIRC.

Just now, moof said:

I’ve said myself, earlier on, he doesn’t deserve to be in our best XI when everybody is fit and firing. I think he’s a good captain, although we don’t know exactly what goes on behind the scenes. All the noises are that he’s respected by all the players and the manager. He’s also nowhere near as bad as everyone is making out on here today.

It’s not as if I’ve been a staunch defender of his over the years but he’s grown into a very good player and a top pro, he’s captain and an important figure for one of the best teams on the planet. He wasn’t great yesterday but we still won 3-0 and didn’t look remotely troubled at any point away from home against a decent side. I wish people had a sense of perspective.

That’s true, people do go off on him and others but, as you say, he’s Captain of one of the best teams in the world; scrutiny and criticism when he doesn’t set the standard or even meet the standard is par for the course. If he can’t do that, why is he Captain? Obviously we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes but if the fans don’t want their Captain playing, it’s an issue. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That’s true, people do go off on him and others but, as you say, he’s Captain of one of the best teams in the world; scrutiny and criticism when he doesn’t set the standard or even meet the standard is par for the course. If he can’t do that, why is he Captain? Obviously we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes but if the fans don’t want their Captain playing, it’s an issue. 

I don’t disagree. Virgil is captain in all but name, and it’s probaby only a matter of time before that’s made official.

Still, my gripe is with the completely overblown nature of some of the criticism. He’s put in countless performances in massive games for us, took over the captaincy from probably the one person most synonymous with the club - the difficulty and pressure of such an appointment can’t be understated; and has been an important player for a team that has grown from maybe top 6/7 in England to a top 4 side in all of Europe. He’s not some useless fucking clogger or a spineless shitehouse or anything like that 

• Upvote 1

He certainly wasn't done any favors trying to measure up to Gerrard I agree.

However Milner (an erstwhile journeyman wide midfielder) has walked in and done all of the things Henderson was supposed to be able to do from the off. At 32 years old. That is probably more indicative with some peoples frustrations. Also I think it may be a little much to suggest he was a vital piece of the clubs move from a decent team to a very good one - he was out for much of that time.

In him and Lallana we have the two poster boys for what is a pretty average English generation of players.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Negged for reminding me that we are fucking shit 

• Upvote 2

He doesn't need to be Steven Gerrard. But he probably needs to be at least as good as Gini Wijnaldum. He isn't. 

He isn't good enough.

The quicker Fabinho and Keita can get up to speed, and assign Henderson to the dustbin, the better. 

We've got a great attack, seemingly sorted keeper and defence, and now it's time to finally sort out the midfield. Hopefully West Ham feel like wasting £30m on him.

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Getting lots of touches of the ball is zero evidence against the accusation that he hides. 

If you want an example of a player who hides, go back to Keita’s against City... Hendo doesn’t hide, he’s just not an very creative user of the ball.

• Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

If you want an example of a player who hides, go back to Keita’s against City... Hendo doesn’t hide, he’s just not an very creative user of the ball.

You just like going against the grain. If everyone was saying he was brilliant you'd be calling him shite.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Elite said:

You just like going against the grain. If everyone was saying he was brilliant you'd be calling him shite.

Yeah like I do with Van Dijk, Gomez, Robbo, Salah, Gini, etc. I just don’t subscribe to this herd mentality, especially when it comes to something as silly as accusing the player with the most second most touches (despite playing only 80 mins), that he ‘hides’ from the ball. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

He was absolute shite yesterday, couldn't care less about whether he "hid" or any other euphemistic way of putting it.  He was terrible.  Unlucky with the first yellow, but even before that he was putting in a shocking turn. 

Couldn't care less about the wider debate, it's the same discussion we've been having for years and it's all been done to death.  If we didn't seem to miss him when he's out for lengthy spells, I'd be happy with us getting rid but we've not been able to put a stable and consistent midfield together without him (nor with him this season). 

• Upvote 1

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)