You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Atomic bombing of Nagasaki

Mook

I always find this one of the most interesting aspects of World War II, Nagasaki was the second city to be bombed on August 9th 1945 following the first bomb over Hiroshima & three days of complete radio silence from Japan, completely different World we live in now but it would be interesting to hear what people make of the decision to drop the second bomb?

Along similar lines, the was one bloke who was injured at Hiroshima & then made the journey up to Nagasaki, only for it to be bombed as well, given Nagasaki was a substitute city for Kokura, you'd have to say he was one of the unluckiest bastards around although he did survive both bombs, story in the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

I always find this one of the most interesting aspects of World War II, Nagasaki was the second city to be bombed on August 9th 1945 following the first bomb over Hiroshima & three days of complete radio silence from Japan, completely different World we live in now but it would be interesting to hear what people make of the decision to drop the second bomb?

Along similar lines, the was one bloke who was injured at Hiroshima & then made the journey up to Nagasaki, only for it to be bombed as well, given Nagasaki was a substitute city for Kokura, you'd have to say he was one of the unluckiest bastards around although he did survive both bombs, story in the link...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsutomu_Yamaguchi

For me it was a massive act of genocide by the Americans. Yet they pride themselves on it

"If it wasn't for us, you Brits wouldn't have won the war"

• Upvote 1

Very difficult question.

While it can be looked at as a war crime the Japanese would never have surrendered and millions of lives would have been lost in a invasion of the mainland of Japan. It shortened the war by years. We would have been dragged into a guerilla war in the south east asian jungles. They Japanese lost the war at Midway as they could no longer supply the outlying the islands to stop the US advance.

Im reading a really interesting in depth book on the rise and fall of the Japanese Empire at the moment.

For me it was a massive act of genocide by the Americans. Yet they pride themselves on it

I think that oversimplifies things on a number of levels. The 'if it wasn't for us' mentality surely relates to the land war in Europe, not the Pacific campaign.

We were fucked in the Pacific

We had lost all British territories and the Navy was in shit street. Nost of the troops had been dragged back to the Indian border and only the Chindits and other behind the lines troops were still operating well.

Without the US lend lease and eventual joing we wouldn't have survived

It wasn't genocide. I was always told it sped up the end of the war, that has to be a good thing.

Those that think it was horrendous

How else would you have ended the war?

The Japanese were never goining to surrender. They didn't believe the first bomb was as bad as the initial reports were in Tokyo. Millions would have died in a land invasion.

The Japanese started the war with the U.S too. They attact Pearl Harbour without a official declaration of war,they invaded Manchuria,Singapore and Korea. There war crimes were absolutely disgusting (yet another reason the leaders would never allow a surrender).

Now im not saying the British or Americans have clean records (anything but).

• Upvote 1

I read an article on this years ago. The gist of it was that The Allies had to prove that Hiroshima wasn't a one-off. The bombing of Nagasaki was intended to prove we had the capability to produce multiple atom bombs. Had it been a one-off and the Axis called our bluff to discover we only had the one operational bomb - then the war would have rumbled on for years and Hiroshima would have been for nothing.

Though why they didn't drop one off the coast, or on an unpopulated area of mainland Japan is one worth asking.

• Upvote 2

I've started World War III here haven't I?

Interesting that JR Oppenheimer (the man credited with inventing the bomb) celebrated the success of the first one but went to the American Secretary of War to hand deliver a letter expressing his revulsion at the second attack.

I've started World War III here haven't I?

Interesting that JR Oppenheimer (the man credited with inventing the bomb) celebrated the success of the first one but went to the American Secretary of War to hand deliver a letter expressing his revulsion at the second attack.

Most of the creators of the bomb ended up disgusted by it. It must be a hard thing to live with.

History is full of events that look horrible when viewed through modern perspective.

No need to repeat some of the obvious logic and decision making behind the decision, but if they had polled all the nations involved in the war against Japan, I absolutely guarantee you it would have gotten 99% approval ratings for the decision to drop one (or two) bombs.

You can't judge these things without some proper context of the situation at that time.

I'm sure loads of people felt terrible about it afterwards, but imagine the sense of relief it must have brought to the soldiers and the nations involved.

While the killing of civilians is always wrong, it has to be pointed out that the Japanese were massive arseholes. They built piles of heads so high in places like Nanking your could have built your own Hadrian's wall with them. 

Same ethical questions get raised over Dresden, it's a brutal thing to say but these were two of the most savage belligerents in the history of the human race, all bets were off. 

• Upvote 2

It was. Regardless of whether it sped up the end of the war, nuclear weapons are not a good thing.

"the[/size] [/size]policy[/size] [/size]of[/size] [/size]deliberately[/size] [/size]killing[/size] [/size]a[/size] [/size]nationality[/size] [/size]or[/size] [/size]ethnic[/size] [/size]group"[/size]

No, all or a significant portion before its genocide.

I think it was the 50 anniversary of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima that really made me shake my head at people passing judgement on the moral aspects of the decision.

I was in England and reading the Manchester Guardian, which had a sanctimonious article about how it was totally wrong, yet they couldn't even get the airplane correct in the article (they called it a B-52).

Never read the paper again.

Too easy (or ignorant) to say it was wrong.