You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Klopp another Rodgers?

JohnnyH

Where do you think we'd be now if Klopp had been appointed then and what would have happened in the previous 3 seasons?

Would I still have eaten pancakes for breakfast today if Diana hadn't been killed in that car accident?

Would Bruce Jenner have had that sex change if the 49ers had beaten the Ravens?

What do you think France would be like now if the Eiffel Tower was bright pink?

Would I still have eaten pancakes for breakfast today if Diana hadn't been killed in that car accident?

Would Bruce Jenner have had that sex change if the 49ers had beaten the Ravens?

What do you think France would be like now if the Eiffel Tower was bright pink?

I'm going to say yes to all three.

• 2 months later...

Germans will tell you that he will be at Bayern when Guardiola goes. Just like Guardiola did, Klopp took a sabbatical. In his case, it will also ease the pain of the Dortmund to Bayern move. They also make a point of mentioning that he doesn't speak English and hasn't shown signs he wants to learn. Nice name, but I don't think he will be our similarly named "Arsene" in the foreseeable future.

Germans will tell you that he will be at Bayern when Guardiola goes. Just like Guardiola did, Klopp took a sabbatical. In his case, it will also ease the pain of the Dortmund to Bayern move. They also make a point of mentioning that he doesn't speak English and hasn't shown signs he wants to learn. Nice name, but I don't think he will be our similarly named "Arsene" in the foreseeable future.

He does speak English. Quite well, in fact.

But you might be right about Bayern. I've no idea.

This is what Klopp's agent said when the uncertainty around Rodgers was at it's highest in June:

Tuesday 9 Jun 2015 2:14 pm

However, Klopp’s agent Marc Kosicke has suggested that the 47-year-old would be interested in taking up a position in England, and his comments more than hint at a potential move to Merseyside.

‘The Premier League is very exciting,’ he told German website Spox.com.

‘And by that we mean not only the top four, there are still other great clubs.

‘It’s always about the task. When Jürgen signed for Dortmund, there were other clubs that stood better financially.

‘Nevertheless, he signed a contract with Dortmund. He has the great ability to develop things.

‘If he goes to a stadium and feels the energy and thinks that he can do something here, that might be more appealing to him than to go to the supposedly great and to seek the treble.’

The prospect of Klopp taking over at Anfield any time soon appears unlikely, but that could change should Brendan Rodgers find himself unable to turn around the club’s fortunes.

I was  passing on what the Germans I met on holiday unanimously said. None of them were Bayern or Dortmund fans. It seemed to be the general assumption among them that his destination is already very predictable. Maybe they were just too German-centric, or maybe his agent wants to help him get a higher salary, or a bit of both. Their standards of English must be pretty high, however!

I was passing on what the Germans I met on holiday unanimously said. None of them were Bayern or Dortmund fans. It seemed to be the general assumption among them that his destination is already very predictable. Maybe they were just too German-centric, or maybe his agent wants to help him get a higher salary, or a bit of both. Their standards of English must be pretty high, however!

It's not out of the question. He's German, he probably wants the biggest job in Germany

Klopp says his only two languages are German and English so the language is not a problem.

Im not sure if he spent some time in England at Uni or in his early days in his coaching career.

Kloppdate (may have been posted elsewhere and if so, sue me)

The German has undertaken a sabbatical after leaving Borussia Dortmund at the end of last season, having enjoyed a fruitful seven-year spell at the club.

Klopp has regularly been linked with management roles at Arsenal, Liverpool and Real Madrid in the past, but the 48-year-old insists his next role does not have to be at one of Europe's elite.

"It doesn't have to be an absolute top club," he told Bild. "There are other good projects that are exciting, [teams] who need help.

"I inform, read and meet a lot of people - there are ordinary little things that are great fun. I miss nothing [from football] currently."

After almost 25 consecutive years of involvement in football on both the playing and the management side, Klopp is eager to enjoy his time off before returning.

"I don't know where I'll be heading to," Klopp continued. "But right now, that's not important for me.

"I know that if I will have the right feeling it will be a wonderful next chapter. You will see what happens and I find it exciting right now not knowing what will happen next."